Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think we should be grabbing as many picks as we can and do as much trading up as we can with those picks and potentially prospects that don’t fit what we need.

I’d like to end up with
2-3 1sts
3-4 2nds
2-3 3rds

Im also curious about thrun and lacombe, and if they don’t want to sign here is there a potential way to swap 1 for Ryan Johnson who is questionable signing with Buffalo

Oh I was reading a dated board that had Barlow down further, but plenty of options with our 2nd.

I imagine if we trade for a 2nd 1st it’ll be late unless the trade involves Fowler

Yeah he's been steadily rising, both CSB (10th NA skater) and Button (7th overall) ranked him as their top OHL prospect on their most recent lists.

Without going back to look, I bet his scouting reports read awful similar to Landeskog in his draft year. Which is a player you love to have on your team by any other name.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah he's been steadily rising, both CSB (10th NA skater) and Button (7th overall) ranked him as their top OHL prospect on their most recent lists.

Without going back to look, I bet his scouting reports read awful similar to Landeskog in his draft year. Which is a player you love to have on your team by any other name.
Landy is essentially the type of player we need in the top 6…. Wouldn’t mind adding a bit of an agitator too(like a bunting/perry type that’ll annoy the opponent and score greasy goals)

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
I’d really like to get back into the late 1st to get a guy like Quentin Musty or Ziemmer .

Seems like the kind of player we’ll need along side zegras mctavish terry potentially bedard michkov or fantilli

Forgot where I found it. But Central Scouting came out with something like

1) Bedard
2) Fantilli
3) Carlsson
4) Will Smith
5) Michkov

You still want Michkov above Smith?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

1) Bedard
2) Fantilli
3) Carlsson
4) Will Smith
5) Michkov

Ya I prefer michkov over smith by a lot tbh.

I think michkov is the 2nd best talent in the draft…. And prob not far off bedard…. Unless something comes up from now till then I’d take michkov at 4 assuming carlsson fantilli and bedard are gone

Reactions: JlindiesANA

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ya I prefer michkov over smith by a lot tbh.

I think michkov is the 2nd best talent in the draft…. And prob not far off bedard…. Unless something comes up from now till then I’d take michkov at 4 assuming carlsson fantilli and bedard are gone

Central Scouting has Carlsson as #1 Euro skater over Michkov at its mid-term rankings.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

1) Bedard
2) Fantilli
3) Carlsson
4) Will Smith
5) Michkov

That wasn't Central Scouting. That was mynhldraft.com's recent iteration of the 2023 mock draft: link.

2023 NHL mock draft (myNHLdraft, Jan 3rd).png

Reactions: JlindiesANA

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Is their mock draft an actual mock or just the current standings and rankings?

This is the Jan 3 iteration. Think of it as a snapshot at that date. The mock was done a 10 days before Central Scouting published their mid-term rankings.

Yes, it's a mock, otherwise Michkov would be in the top-4, just like most other mock drafts. I recall two seasons ago when McTavish was ranked #2 prospect by Central Scouting, MyNHLdraft was the only one who mocked McTavish in the top-5 in mocks, going to Columbus. Mostly everyone else still had McTavish in the 20s.

Reactions: DavidBL

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
In terms of picks I go bedard fantilli carlsson michkov

In terms of upside I go bedard michkov fantilli carlsson

Michkov has found his scoring touch by being loaned to a weaker KHL team, Sochi, than his former team, SKA St. Petersburg.

SKA St. Petersburg: 3 games, 0 pts
HK Sochi: 10 games, 6pts (4g + 2a)

I dunno what finally clicked, but it clicked. I read somewhere that Michkov got injured early in the season. Maybe he's healed physically and mentally to take chances again?

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Michkov has found his scoring touch by being loaned to a weaker KHL team, Sochi, than his former team, SKA St. Petersburg.

SKA St. Petersburg: 3 games, 0 pts
HK Sochi: 10 games, 6pts (4g + 2a)

I dunno what finally clicked, but it clicked. I read somewhere that Michkov got injured early in the season. Maybe he's healed physically and mentally to take chances again?
He also has been given an actual opportunity on Sochi rather than not receiving any ice time on SKA

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He also has been given an actual opportunity on Sochi rather than not receiving any ice time on SKA

SKA has 84 points, best in division, and best league by 13 points. HC Sochi has 21 points, is last in the same division with SKA, and the worst points in the league by 20 points.

Michkov needed to bring his best plus to find time on the ice with SKA. Kinda see why he couldn't break through since he was buried by other talents. I'm glad SKA loaned him to another KHL team to get playing time at this level. Figure it might help boost ticket sales for Sochi if Michkov can produce there. (Yeah, it's weird a KHL team will loan one of its players to another KHL team than to its VHL team.) SKA owns Michkov's rights for another 3 more seasons, so they don't have to worry about Michkov taking off for the NHL.

Let's see if Michkov can improve his status between now (CSB EU mid-term ranking) and draft (CSB EU Final ranking). Also, if there are scouts who watch him in person make loads of reporting.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
As a recently hired GM, Verbeek’s role might be safer than most. I wouldn’t be surprised if he took Michkov at 2OA if we have the chance.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd just take Fantilli at #2 overall and eventually move Zegras to wing longterm when Fantilli is ready to take over 2C.
I feel like zegras has never looked good on wing.

I’d take carlsson fantilli or bedard above michkov.

I also like benson a lot surprised he’s not higher on most boards

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Then you've never seen Z play wing at the WJC-20 when they won gold and he goaded all of Canada. His center was Turcotte, iirc. Helleson, Thrun, and LaCombe were also on team USA.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017

Very deep class in the W this year. When was the last time a major junior league‘s top four scorers were all in their draft eligible seasons?

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013

I agree with this. Especially considering political entanglements. The kid might not leave Russia for a long time.

I know it's blasphemy here, but I hope we end up with Carlsson actually. I don't want to see Z moved to wing for a 5' 9" puck hog at center. Go ahead, rain the hate. It's what I'm hoping for though. Of course if we do get Bedard, I'd probably end up changing my tune eventually.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hey all, not sure if this is something y’all knew already, but I wanted in and say that according to the CHL broadcast, Pat Verbeek was at the Moose Jaw/Winnipeg game tonight. Probably there to watch Benson and Yager. Thought it was an interesting tidbit.
Makes sense, while the team is shit you never know where we will be drafting…. Got to do our homework on everyone in top 10. Also have a ton of assets wouldn’t mind to see us put some together to move up the draft if we really like someone else near top 10….. we need as much high end talent as we can get.

Also wouldn’t be shocked if we had either player at 4-6 above smith and/or michkov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Makes sense, while the team is shit you never know where we will be drafting…. Got to do our homework on everyone in top 10. Also have a ton of assets wouldn’t mind to see us put some together to move up the draft if we really like someone else near top 10….. we need as much high end talent as we can get.

Also wouldn’t be shocked if we had either player at 4-6 above smith and/or michkov.

Got a feeling it’s for another lottery pick. Wouldn’t be shocked if Drysdale is traded at the deadline with this amount of prospects in our pool of defenseman already.

Atleast we know Verbeek is working. He may go all in for this draft. I would

• Haha
Reactions: dracom

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Got a feeling it’s for another lottery pick. Wouldn’t be shocked if Drysdale is traded at the deadline with this amount of prospects in our pool of defenseman already.

Atleast we know Verbeek is working. He may go all in for this draft. I would

Drysdale's already cut his teeth in the NHL. He earned a rookie of the month in the AHL as an 18-year old. He's the most known young defenseman we have and a RD to boot! You can't be counting on defensemen who haven't even reached the pro levels as actual NHL mainstays. RD's Andersson and Helleson are older than Drysdale, but both are stuck in the AHL still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad