Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft (mod warning 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah i know its early but 2022 draft discussion started pretty quickly too last year.
So far its #1 Bedard and #2 Mitchkov but after that what are players you are interested in for the Ducks ?
I don't see Bedard falling like Wright did at all. Who will be this years Slaf and Cooley ?

Blanket warning to everyone - the season is over, the active tanking is over, and everyone needs to remember how to get along.

Polite discussions of different viewpoints is fine. Assertions as to who is a good fan, who is a bad fan, and most particularly trolling behavior is going to result in thread bans and warnings. The vast majority of posters here are great about this. There are a few of you, on both sides of this issue, who are trying to start things, and I would advise you to carefully consider if that snarky comment you just made is worth being your last post in a thread. I would advise the folks who think that making an even snarkier response to make that same assessment. Neither of your posts will be seen by anyone else for long regardless.

It is perfectly fine to not understand how anyone could root for the team to lose. It is perfectly fine to not understand how losing has strong benefits to the franchise king term. There are gaping holes in BOTH positions, that may be discussed and debated…POLITELY.

We are all Ducks fans. Time to remember that and stop being at each other’s throats.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Andrew Cristall deserves more attention for the draft season he's having. Obviously he's in a rather large shadow in the WHL in terms of the Bedard hype but Cristall is an offensive dynamo in his own right. His numbers (62 points in 36 games) would stand out more if they weren't being dwarfed by Bedard's 70 points in 29 games.

Cristall is likewise lacking in size but may just be another guy who is skilled enough to make up for it.

Reactions: JlindiesANA

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Andrew Cristall deserves more attention for the draft season he's having. Obviously he's in a rather large shadow in the WHL in terms of the Bedard hype but Cristall is an offensive dynamo in his own right. His numbers (62 points in 36 games) would stand out more if they weren't being dwarfed by Bedard's 70 points in 29 games.

Cristall is likewise lacking in size but may just be another guy who is skilled enough to make up for it.

Kid is small though. He’s 5’10. Was hoping we could get bigger up front soon. I know our back end of prospects have some height to them and weight.

Not saying he isn’t good. But someone 6’1-6’2 would be a blessing in our forward core

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Kid is small though. He’s 5’10. Was hoping we could get bigger up front soon. I know our back end of prospects have some height to them and weight.

Not saying he isn’t good. But someone 6’1-6’2 would be a blessing in our forward core

I don't think anyone could disagree with the notion we need more braun in the system, but as far as early picks go, I'm a 100% believer in taking the kid you think becomes the highest impact NHL player, and figuring the rest out from there.

Probably a moot point with Cristall, at least based on rankings he seems likely to go somewhere in a range later than our pick but earlier than a later first we may get from a playoff team. If he starts to slide later than that, someone may end up with a Barzal/Debrincat type home run.

Reactions: JlindiesANA

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
I don't think anyone could disagree with the notion we need more braun in the system, but as far as early picks go, I'm a 100% believer in taking the kid you think becomes the highest impact NHL player, and figuring the rest out from there.

Probably a moot point with Cristall, at least based on rankings he seems likely to go somewhere in a range later than our pick but earlier than a later first we may get from a playoff team. If he starts to slide later than that, someone may end up with a Barzal/Debrincat type home run.

Yah you’re right, I’m wrong. I totally forgot about Anaheims money this summer. We shed Klingberg salary, Shattenkirk, Stolarz, and others. And Anaheim has the most money in the league.

And then we add Pastrnak hopefully. Who is 6’1. So that’s size we can definitely use.

Your gameplan I can definitely see happening. Very good points on your plan. Well done. Anaheim should look into Cristall if we get a first for Klingberg. I like that pick

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
seems like cristall might be this year's mctavish

could see him going as early as #5 if he keeps having the season he is

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Our core needs talent... size is irrelevant

easier to find big hard working forwards than legit top talent.

Reactions: goonsaredumb

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Here's the 2021 WJC-18s top-3 scorers

2021 WJC 18 (top scorers).png

Michkov was named tourney MVP: link

At the 2022 WJC-20 Cancelled winter event, he scored 3 goals in two games.

It's been a long minute since Michkov was often visible. I thought it would be a good reminder of what he produced the last time we saw him.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Latest rankings from Button

Michkov's listed stats belongs to his VHL production, not KHL team St. Petersburg. His knew KHL team, Sochi, has him with 4g + 1a in 9 KHL games.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’d really like to get back into the late 1st to get a guy like Quentin Musty or Ziemmer .

Seems like the kind of player we’ll need along side zegras mctavish terry potentially bedard michkov or fantilli

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I’d really like to get back into the late 1st to get a guy like Quentin Musty or Ziemmer .

Seems like the kind of player we’ll need along side zegras mctavish terry potentially bedard michkov or fantilli
Latest central scouting rankings have Calum Ritchie way down at 17 for NA skaters. Man I think he could really make a team happy if he actually falls into that range. Can't help but wonder if it's a case where independent scouts who don't see him as much are finding it a little too easy to bump him down their rankings due to slightly disappointing production this year on a weak team. Whereas in reality he's the type of skilled/smart 6'2 center that just won't last very long on draft day.

When you watch Ritchie, there's really not much to not like, outside of just questioning why he hasn't exploded for more points. He's big, very noticeably skilled and plays a smart/responsible two way game. Has the puck skills and frame to really dominate the cycle game, but also the smarts and playmaking ability to find open ice and create chances off the rush. Plus he's a natural scorer who can really shoot the puck.

His skating perhaps isn't as high end as other aspects of his game but doesn't look like it will hold him back either. Even if forced to the wing as a pro, I have no problem seeing him become a Mark Stone type.

It would really speak to the strength of this draft if Ritchie doesn't go in the top half of the first round. For me he's quite easily a higher end prospect than Gauthier for example, despite CSB placing him in a similar ranking.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Latest central scouting rankings have Calum Ritchie way down at 17 for NA skaters. Man I think he could really make a team happy if he actually falls into that range. Can't help but wonder if it's a case where independent scouts who don't see him as much are finding it a little too easy to bump him down their rankings due to slightly disappointing production this year on a weak team. Whereas in reality he's the type of skilled/smart 6'2 center that just won't last very long on draft day.

When you watch Ritchie, there's really not much to not like, outside of just questioning why he hasn't exploded for more points. He's big, very noticeably skilled and plays a smart/responsible two way game. Has the puck skills and frame to really dominate the cycle game, but also the smarts and playmaking ability to find open ice and create chances off the rush. Plus he's a natural scorer who can really shoot the puck.

His skating perhaps isn't as high end as other aspects of his game but doesn't look like it will hold him back either. Even if forced to the wing as a pro, I have no problem seeing him become a Mark Stone type.

It would really speak to the strength of this draft if Ritchie doesn't go in the top half of the first round. For me he's quite easily a higher end prospect than Gauthier for example, despite CSB placing him in a similar ranking.

I saw that def would be interested in moving for him if he dropped past 15…. And we had a late 1st…. We could still move 2nds around or take bad contracts to grab 1 of musty/Ziemmer too.

Coming out of draft with
Bedard/fantilli/michkov/carlsson
Ritchie
Musty/Ziemmer
Would really solidify our top 9 of the future

Then in 2nd and 3rd and 4th we just throw some darts at dmen/goalies…. Maybe high risk high reward forward or high floors

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I said this before last year's draft as well, but I'd like to see us do what the Kings did in the 2021 draft, use all the 4th-7ths, and maybe some 3rds to just focus on moving up, and come out of this draft with around 5 or so great prospects that the organization is very high on

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Colby Barlow has been on a tear, had one goal in each of his past six games and then a pair last night. The seven game goal streak is only his second longest of the season, having scored in a league best ten straight earlier in the season.

He's entered a three way tie for most goals in the OHL (29 goals in 36 games for all three) but Barlow is an 05 born draft eligible prospect while the other two are 02 born overages (Matt Maggio and Avery Hayes).

Barlow is now just one point back of Mintyukov for third in the league, otherwise trailing only Voit and Morrison (who again are two and three years older).

As previously mentioned, he also has the distinction of being named an OHL captain at 17 (by a great organization), which is quite a rare feat and must really speak to his character.

Starts the breakout and absolutely flies up ice, full send to the post for a goal. "Everytime he's on the ice, he's making things happen"... We could definitely use some of this

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Colby Barlow has been on a tear, had one goal in each of his past six games and then a pair last night. The seven game goal streak is only his second longest of the season, having scored in a league best ten straight earlier in the season.

He's entered a three way tie for most goals in the OHL (29 goals in 36 games for all three) but Barlow is an 05 born draft eligible prospect while the other two are 02 born overages (Matt Maggio and Avery Hayes).

Barlow is now just one point back of Mintyukov for third in the league, otherwise trailing only Voit and Morrison (who again are two and three years older).

As previously mentioned, he also has the distinction of being named an OHL captain at 17 (by a great organization), which is quite a rare feat and must really speak to his character.

Starts the breakout and absolutely flies up ice, full send to the post for a goal. "Everytime he's on the ice, he's making things happen"... We could definitely use some of this

Kinda glad we went d heavy last draft cause there doesn’t seem to be a ton of options in the first round this year…. Im sure there are some potential steals in the 2nd/3rd tho.

Seems like we’re going to have a shot at a few good forwards with our 2nd round pick.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Kinda glad we went d heavy last draft cause there doesn’t seem to be a ton of options in the first round this year…. Im sure there are some potential steals in the 2nd/3rd tho.

Seems like we’re going to have a shot at a few good forwards with our 2nd round pick.

Barlow is probably a 8-15 range guy (not sure if that's what you meant), but there's so much quality in this draft, we could absolutely kill it with all those second rounders again.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I said this before last year's draft as well, but I'd like to see us do what the Kings did in the 2021 draft, use all the 4th-7ths, and maybe some 3rds to just focus on moving up, and come out of this draft with around 5 or so great prospects that the organization is very high on
I think we should be grabbing as many picks as we can and do as much trading up as we can with those picks and potentially prospects that don’t fit what we need.

I’d like to end up with
2-3 1sts
3-4 2nds
2-3 3rds

Im also curious about thrun and lacombe, and if they don’t want to sign here is there a potential way to swap 1 for Ryan Johnson who is questionable signing with Buffalo

Barlow is probably a 8-15 range guy (not sure if that's what you meant), but there's so much quality in this draft, we could absolutely kill it with all those second rounders again.
Oh I was reading a dated board that had Barlow down further, but plenty of options with our 2nd.

I imagine if we trade for a 2nd 1st it’ll be late unless the trade involves Fowler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad