2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

All the Russians to Buffalo!

Peters and Rivet will lose it.
This is just another case of people having no clue so they said hey Sabres like Russians and he is tall. If that is the selection just trade the pick on the floor. Last thing we need is more wingers.

Usually I am always for whatever makes Rivet upset.

Reactions: Ehran

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
One of the challenges with projecting the Sabres pick for me is the fact that there are a variety of trends you can see with their picks, especially early picks.

One interesting trend has been that they have not taken a USNTDP player since Adams took over (Samuelsson is their last USNTDP pick).

And the Sabres have only taken 3 USNTDP players ever (Samuelsson, Compher, and Malone).

They have leaned Euro heavy in the first two rounds since Adams took over (7 Euros vs 3 NAs). But, those 3 NAs have been their first pick each draft.

The Sabres are certainly not afraid to take a Russian. But, they have also waited until the 2nd round onward to take them, so far.

Given all the trends (adding in that they have liked players with good U18 performances), I wonder if Matthew Wood might be one of those high probability guys for the Sabres at 13.

Looking at stuff, I wonder if Otto Stenberg is a guy they like in the 2nd round.

As someone who goes to a lot of NTDP games, it continues to be a frustration. I'm very happy with last year's draft but watching Lane Hutson look so good in the World Championship after watching him dominate at the NTDP still makes me cry a bit.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This is just another case of people having no clue so they said hey Sabres like Russians and he is tall. If that is the selection just trade the pick on the floor. Last thing we need is more wingers.

Usually I am always for whatever makes Rivet upset.

The Sabres, moreso when it comes to drafting under Adams, aren’t really known for targeting size. They go for skating, skill, and growth in the players game. The only big player they’ve drafted under Adams is Power, who was a slam dunk 1st overall pick.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The Sabres, moreso when it comes to drafting under Adams, aren’t really known for targeting size. They go for skating, skill, and growth in the players game. The only big player they’ve drafted under Adams is Power, who was a slam dunk 1st overall pick.
I believe the assumption is the Sabres have all the small skilled players they need and now require size. Adams love him some drastically underweight wingers.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
"Growth in a players game" encapsulates hundreds of attributes, so that doesn't narrow things down much.

I see Adams going for guys that are extremely hard working on and off the ice, first and foremost. That speaks to the growth attribute. On top of that, he likes high end skill and a strong hockey family.

As for skating, I think they just avoid mediocre skaters more than they specifically target great skaters. I don't really see that being among Forton's highest priorities, though questions about skating probably take a lot of guys off their list.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
"Growth in a players game" encapsulates hundreds of attributes, so that doesn't narrow things down much.

I see Adams going for guys that are extremely hard working on and off the ice, first and foremost. That speaks to the growth attribute. On top of that, he likes high end skill and a strong hockey family.

As for skating, I think they just avoid mediocre skaters more than they specifically target great skaters. I don't really see that being among Forton's highest priorities, though questions about skating probably take a lot of guys off their list.

They’re broad categories. But when you look at nearly everyone they’ve drafted, you just see what the team was looking for.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Thought that started after the August U20's I thought because of how much they complimented one another in that series - Sale lugging the mail, Kulich finishing the play.
Someone just posted this above, which says "I’d expect Buffalo to make a heavy bid for Eduard Šalé, a heavy-frame Czechi winger who could be inspired to follow in Jiří Kulich’s impressive footsteps."

Just seems a little lazy, but what do I expect from a substack that has Michkov going to buffalo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Someone just posted this above, which says "I’d expect Buffalo to make a heavy bid for Eduard Šalé, a heavy-frame Czechi winger who could be inspired to follow in Jiří Kulich’s impressive footsteps."

Just seems a little lazy, but what do I expect from a substack that has Michkov going to buffalo.

I read that too and I can't see a way he falls past Montreal who seem like they are trying hard to lay smoke around drafting him, then down to Washington who seem like a natural fit if he does start to slip or if that shock happens, past Vancouver to the enclave they are building and if that series of unlikely events happens, then past Arizona since their 2nd pick is at 12 so they could take a long-term piece to stash for later easily enough.

As an aside on Sale, there is some scouting report out there that compares him to a faster skating Bo Horvat. I just don't see it. It's where I get into having issues with direct player comps because the things that pop out for me from player to player aren't always the same. I try to avoid it and admit in recent years I've just given in like some browbeaten father caving in to get a screaming pack of children ice cream.

And that Jokiharju proposal... I just don't get it.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I would pick Simashev before But (even though there could be so much fun with that name).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Is the writer at this website credible?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Listened to the Talking Hockey Sense podcast where Chris Peters laid out his top 15 rankings. Which…since we are 13 is interesting enough. Anyway here it was

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Carlsson
4. Michkov
5. Smith
6. Leonard
7. Wood
8. Benson
9. Dvorsky
10. Reinbacher
11. Perreault
12. Moore
13. Danielson
14. Yager
15. Barlow

His list feels like a list that was set based on mid season consensus and then he didn’t change them

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Listened to the Talking Hockey Sense podcast where Chris Peters laid out his top 15 rankings. Which…since we are 13 is interesting enough. Anyway here it was

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Carlsson
4. Michkov
5. Smith
6. Leonard
7. Wood
8. Benson
9. Dvorsky
10. Reinbacher
11. Perreault
12. Moore
13. Danielson
14. Yager
15. Barlow

His list feels like a list that was set based on mid season consensus and then he didn’t change them

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I’m all about the Simashev train if Reinbacher is gone as expected.

Wood’s skating and soft play style would not compliment our forward group and offensive strategy.

Cristall doesn’t really fit either. We have a ton of skilled forwards already that are much more complete and I don’t like the risk of him translating to pro hockey.

Love ASP’s game but with Power and Dahlin I would choose Simashev. Have watched and read up a lot on ASP and have seen claims his motor and play off the puck are big weaknesses. Also his puck retrievals. Those are red flags to me.

Moore’s play leaves me wanting much more. I think his IQ and tenacity are weaknesses and could limit his potential quite a bit.

Simashev just checks all the boxes for me. Great skating and defensive abilities. Some untapped offensive potential as well. Rare blend of skills in a defensive prospect.

Would think hard if Benson, Dvorsky, or Leonard are available though, love those three prospects for the Sabres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad