2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think it’ll be Simashev if he’s available.
The organization has developed a bit of a “moneypuck” philosophy regarding Russian players. The war, KHL and general Russian-phobia has traditionally pushed Russian players down in the draft year after year. The Sabres have shown themselves unafraid to go after them, and have shown that they can get them signed here and developing a bit of a culture with Russians in the organization.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The organization has developed a bit of a “moneypuck” philosophy regarding Russian players. The war, KHL and general Russian-phobia has traditionally pushed Russian players down in the draft year after year. The Sabres have shown themselves unafraid to go after them, and have shown that they can get them signed here and developing a bit of a culture with Russians in the organization.
But Sabres aren't the only ones, there are a few other teams that love to draft Russians. (Caps, Canes, Jackets)

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Any thoughts on D-But? I've always thought he looked like a nice player, but Pronman has been describing him as one of the best forwards in the draft, which has me taking a second look.

I don't know what to think about D-But or Musty, I need to keep watching more of both.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Any thoughts on D-But? I've always thought he looked like a nice player, but Pronman has been describing him as one of the best forwards in the draft, which has me taking a second look.

I don't know what to think about D-But or Musty, I need to keep watching more of both.

Here's something else from Pronman today:

Best athletes​

1. Daniil But, RW, Lokomotiv

I’m sure every fan has the experience of seeing a big guy get drafted to their favorite team who didn’t put up huge numbers that season. This list is your reference as to why that player is getting drafted high. These are the big guys who can skate; the players who look like NHL athletes.

Daniil But is the prototype of that kind of player. He’s a player with no real flaws in his game and a ton of natural athleticism, which tends to be highly valued in the NHL Draft. There aren’t many 6-5 guys who can skate like him and have legit offensive skills. He is valued quite highly in the league and despite his KHL contract, I think he will be a very early draft pick.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I'm of a mind to be comfortable with DB40 in the mid-20's. I don't really have Musty placed - saw him a few times prior to this year, then early in the season was not happy with what I saw and admittedly didn't really go back. But moves well and looks to make plays inside. It's fascinating to think of what he'll be like filled out and with the leg strength to make his skating pop. If they were to go with him at 13, okay. Same with Simashev who also fills needs in their positional depth chart though I would also say DB40 does in his own way as well - he's not some sub-6'er and while it's nice to have Thompson and Cozens and Tuch, they don't have much in terms of large humanity on the wing in their pipe.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Sidorov should be interesting due to the motor and contact driven inside game. And if he wasn't another small guy, he might make a nice early day 2 pickup. But man, he's another micronaut.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Sidorov should be interesting due to the motor and contact driven inside game. And if he wasn't another small guy, he might make a nice early day 2 pickup. But man, he's another micronaut.

Well 182 cm is not so small. Quinn 183 cm, JJ 180 cm.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Haven't seen any talk about the combine being underway in Buffalo. Still think it's cool and advantageous that we host it every year.

• June 4: Arrivals
  • June 5-9: All 32 NHL teams are eligible to meet one-one-one with the players
  • June 7: Medical examinations are to be held at KeyBank Center
  • June 9: Media availabilities are to be held at 4:30 p.m. ET
  • June 10: Physical evaluations begin at 7:30 a.m. ET

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Pronman mocked Michkov falling to 17 for the Atlantic, and mentions on his podcast that this is largely a result of things he hears around the league. The word is out there for sure.

The twist is that they'll take him with their second 1st rounder (#17), not their #9OA.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Pronman mocked Michkov falling to 17 for the Atlantic, and mentions on his podcast that this is largely a result of things he hears around the league. The word is out there for sure.
Maybe I'm nuts (well, I AM nuts....but hopefully not about this)..........but I just can't see a way that KA passes on Michkov if he's there. He's built a nice little Russian pipeline and by the time his contract expires, we should be a legit playoff team and hopefully more than that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Michkov falls to 13 and Adams doesn't take him...

Update:

His last mock draft has Michkov going to Washington at 8:

8. Washington: Matvei Michkov, RW, Ska St. Petersburg (RUSSIA)​

In an environment where I think there’s a lot of caution over using premium picks on Russians, Washington is one organization I know doesn’t have a ton of reservations. They just recently drafted a Russian in the first round in Ivan Miroshnichenko and within a year had signed him to an ELC. If Michkov gets to No. 8, I expect him to be a Capital. Alternatively, I could see Dvorsky as a player they’d covet.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Speaking of Pronman & Michkov...

In terms of the best collection of skills and physical traits, without considering production and various risk factors in a player’s projection, here is how I would line up the 2023 NHL Draft class.

1. Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA-Russia​

All right I know I have to explain this one as you all sharpen your pitchforks. Michkov may be the best draft eligible I’ve ever seen from inside the offensive blue line, or at least in the mix. His skill plus offensive sense combination is incredible. He sees the game at a different level and is a scoring-chance machine once he gets the puck inside the opponent’s zone. The lack of speed and size are notable hindrances in his pro projection — both are worse than Connor Bedard’s and he doesn’t have Bedard’s motor — but he’s a unique player and has the potential to put up massive amounts of offense as a pro if he hits, which isn’t a sure thing.

2. Connor Bedard, C, Regina-WHL​

Narrowly trailing Michkov is the presumptive No. 1 pick in Bedard. Bedard is projected to become a top-scoring NHL forward. He has game-breaking skill and goal-scoring ability, and could potentially be a regular for 35 to 40 goals in the NHL. There is true superstar upside in his game with fewer risk variables in his skill set than someone like Michkov, due to his superior speed and compete.

3. Adam Fantilli, C, Michigan-Big Ten​

You could argue any of the top three ranked players here for best upside in the draft and I would think it’s reasonable. Fantilli, like Bedard and Michkov, has incredible skill. He may be a notch or two below both in terms of pure offensive abilities, but he’s much bigger and stronger than either and faster than Michkov. His physical toolkit is the most prototypical of the three prospects of an NHL star.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Michkov will not fall below #8. The only chance to trade with Philly or Arizona.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If Michkov gets to Washington and they don't take him.......................

There might very well be REAL concerns about him coming over when his contract expires.
I have no doubt that the Caps will take him if he's there. Even Michkov himself saidit would be cool if chosen by Washington and Ovi basically confirmed this. I just find it hard to believe that they don't take him, because he will be their new Ovi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad