2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

More and more smoke around this today. Wonder if it has anything to do with teams getting their hands on real live prospects at the combine this week and the theoretical Michkov fading in comparison. Going to be a fascinating three weeks.

Also- reading Wheeler's list today, I'd wager Barlow is not on the Sabres list for #13. He goes against their two biggest tells for high picks imo - guys with plenty of physical projection (ceiling) remaining and great skaters.

Still, though he is a dominant junior player, it’s also fair to ask if his advanced growth gives him less runway for improvement (he really does look like a man already). He’s also not fast despite his strength, although he has made progress in his skating and does at times look powerful in straight lines once he builds speed (he moves just fine through his crossovers and can build speed and momentum that way, but he is sluggish from a standstill).

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

More and more smoke around this today. Wonder if it has anything to do with teams getting their hands on real live prospects at the combine this week and the theoretical Michkov fading in comparison. Going to be a fascinating three weeks.

Also- reading Wheeler's list today, I'd wager Barlow is not on the Sabres list for #13. He goes against their two biggest tells for high picks imo - guys with plenty of physical projection (ceiling) remaining and great skaters.

Sounds like a team at the top of the draft afraid of the situation & trying to drum up move up business ?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I will laugh at every team from..say…pick 5 to 12 if they pass on Michkov.

Then I’ll cry if we do it at 13.

But I can’t believe he gets past Washington. If I were them I’d try to leak out that I was going to let him pass too. Try to stop someone from jumping you.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I will laugh at every team from..say…pick 5 to 12 if they pass on Michkov.

Then I’ll cry if we do it at 13.

But I can’t believe he gets past Washington. If I were them I’d try to leak out that I was going to let him pass too. Try to stop someone from jumping you.
He won't get past Washington.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I don't think it's recency issues or any sort of shiny new toy attention span. It's three years until he's available and a lot can go wrong in that time - another team is going to be making decisions on that player's training and health. That sort of risk is going to scare plenty of teams away. Hell, Kaprizov fell to the 5th round in part because of how long his contract in the KHL still had.

Barlow's beard would like a word with you outside. It'll be over by the Firebird in the fringed leather jacket.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I don't think it's recency issues or any sort of shiny new toy attention span. It's three years until he's available and a lot can go wrong in that time - another team is going to be making decisions on that player's training and health. That sort of risk is going to scare plenty of teams away. Hell, Kaprizov fell to the 5th round in part because of how long his contract in the KHL still had.
Doesn't it feel like he was locked in the top 6 of almost every mock all season, but it's starting to wobble some the closer we get to the draft and the more "real" intel is out there? I don't know that I've seen anyone say "NHL teams are VERY hesitant" before, nor anyone projecting him late in the first.
Barlow's beard would like a word with you outside. It'll be over by the Firebird in the fringed leather jacket.
I'm almost positive I saw him on the patio of Brick Bar on my way home this afternoon. He's in town after all.

Reactions: Chainshot

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
nice front page article on Musty in todays Buffalo Snews (paywall).

1686094945669.png

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
It has to do with the fact that his father was found floating dead in a pond and nobody knows whether 1) the kid is in a mental space to succeed in North America, or 2) whether it was political and that he will ever be allowed to leave Russia based on the optics under the current government.

Father of top NHL prospect found dead in Russia under 'unexplained circumstances,' officials say

I'm not trying to inject global politics into a hockey forum, but it's foolish to think that if you don't talk about it it that it doesn't exist.

It almost seems too crass to mention, given the seriousness of the events to the kid, but picking Michkov is more likely to be a wasted pick than not. If you can afford to throw the pick away, then ok -- but don't complain if you see nothing for it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It has to do with the fact that his father was found floating dead in a pond and nobody knows whether 1) the kid is in a mental space to succeed in North America, or 2) whether it was political and that he will ever be allowed to leave Russia based on the optics under the current government.

Father of top NHL prospect found dead in Russia under 'unexplained circumstances,' officials say

I'm not trying to inject global politics into a hockey forum, but it's foolish to think that if you don't talk about it it that it doesn't exist.

It almost seems too crass to mention, given the seriousness of the events to the kid, but picking Michkov is more likely to be a wasted pick than not. If you can afford to throw the pick away, then ok -- but don't complain if you see nothing for it.

I'm aware and the political situation is something that we do pointedly not talk about publicly.

And yes, there is the issue of what has happened to him this year, including the death of his father. That said, speculating on what happened isn't worthwhile. It can all be lumped in with the inherent risk of taking a player under contract elsewhere and the issues with those circumstances.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Do we think Simashev or Willander go first? I think both will edge out ASP this point. Would be happy with any of the four (including Reinbacher) at this point.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I'm aware and the political situation is something that we do pointedly not talk about publicly.

And yes, there is the issue of what has happened to him this year, including the death of his father. That said, speculating on what happened isn't worthwhile. It can all be lumped in with the inherent risk of taking a player under contract elsewhere and the issues with those circumstances.
If you want to explain why he isn't a shoo-in #2OA pick, you can't just gloss over the one-and-only explanation. No reason to euphemize. It doesn't put enough value on candor.

If we can't speak the obvious, then what reason is there to speak about Michkov at all? We can just agree to pass over him in silence.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
If I'm a GM would I rather take the 1C or a one dimensional undersized winger? Michkov in a vacuum maybe the better prospect if everything goes perfect you're looking at a Kaprizov impact, which is very valuable but doesn't Trump that 1C. Anaheim is in the unique position with Zegras and MacTavish that C isn't a drastic need. Columbus has never had a true 1C so there's no way they'd pick Michkov over Fantilli or Carlsson

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If I'm a GM would I rather take the 1C or a one dimensional undersized winger? Michkov in a vacuum maybe the better prospect if everything goes perfect you're looking at a Kaprizov impact, which is very valuable but doesn't Trump that 1C. Anaheim is in the unique position with Zegras and MacTavish that C isn't a drastic need. Columbus has never had a true 1C so there's no way they'd pick Michkov over Fantilli or Carlsson
Columbus will definitely take center even if they consider Michkov the best prospect. On the one hand you take the BPA, but for Columbus the center is much more important and they already have a lot of wingers. So yes, Fantilli or Carlsson makes a lot more sense to them. As I said earlier, Michkov will not fall below 8 place.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

13. Buffalo Sabres: Axel Sandin Pellikka, RD, Skellefteå AIK (SHL)​

The Buffalo Sabres have an incredibly deep group of talented young forwards, from JJ Peterka and Jack Quinn already breaking into the NHL and guys like Jiri Kulich and Matthew Savoie not far off. They’ve also got a really great group of defensemen on the left side with Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power, so with this pick I have Buffalo adding the most gifted offensive defenseman in the draft class in right-handed Axel Sandin Pellikka. A rare pick that is a perfect combination of the best player available and picking for positional fit.

39. Buffalo Sabres (via. Philadelphia Flyers): Hunter Brzustevicz, RD, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)​

Hunter Brzustevicz is a great skating defender who has a lot to give offensively. His skating is his best defensive tool, but he could use some help in that area regardless. Thankfully, the right-handed Brzustevicz could line up next to any of Buffalo’s three great lefties in a few years who could help mitigate his weaknesses.

45. Buffalo Sabres: Maxim Strbak, RD, Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)​

Maxim Strbak is a right-handed defensive defenseman who hasn’t scored a whole lot at any level over the last few years. Even if his offensive game doesn’t develop much further, his reliability defensively would make him a nice fit alongside one of Buffalo’s talented lefties.

All the RHD are ours!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: ValJamesDuex
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad