2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Based on volume, they have to spread out the injection of new talent over time. If someone is going to school for a while or say having their rights held for longer than 4 years if they're in the KHL, that could be beneficial to helping them build their "long-term success" Adams keeps talking about.
More realistically people will be traded. Look at the list I had there. You can roll four lines of first round picks already. But…you can’t. The logjam is coming before they’d have to worry about Moore or anyone in a similar situation deciding to turn pro. It’s a unique situation because, outside of Tuch and Skinner (neither of whom will be moved for different reasons) everyone is so young. You run into problems before some guys are even off of their ELCs. I can’t recall a setup quite like it. Ostlund, Savoie and Kulich all won’t hit UFA years until Tage and Cozens contracts that haven’t even started end. It‘s basically insane.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
More realistically people will be traded. Look at the list I had there. You can roll four lines of first round picks already. But…you can’t. The logjam is coming before they’d have to worry about Moore or anyone in a similar situation deciding to turn pro. It’s a unique situation because, outside of Tuch and Skinner (neither of whom will be moved for different reasons) everyone is so young. You run into problems before some guys are even off of their ELCs. I can’t recall a setup quite like it. Ostlund, Savoie and Kulich all won’t hit UFA years until Tage and Cozens contracts that haven’t even started end. It‘s basically insane.

Trades are going to happen anyway. Slowing the speed at which players go from draftee to in their hands can still help to spread distribution of talent and future trade assets. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Trades are going to happen anyway. Slowing the speed at which players go from draftee to in their hands can still help to spread distribution of talent and future trade assets. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Right but the conversation was about what the development years entail. The ELC years slide if they’re in Rochester the first year or two anyway. You’re talking about a one year difference at most…and they’re going to run out at the same age either way when your 13th overall pick signs after year 3 and you burn a year for him.

The question is if they have two guys rated in the same tier…one of which says I’m going to school for three seasons and the other can be with their coaching, their trainer and their dietitian after a season or two…does that play a factor for them? Do they think they guy they can work with has a better development path than the guy they can’t?

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Anyone else think Simashev has the highest ceiling of draft eligible defensemen? Been watching some more of him and his puck skills are seriously underrated. He has a great set of hands for his size and position and seems to be able to pull off some impressive dekes. Skating is exceptional and incredibly rare for his size. Passing seems to be underrated as well. Think there is some potential in his shot to be unlocked as well. Has the ability to pick corners occasionally when he decides to shoot. His physicality is excellent and has the tendency to lay some big hits.

Needs to work on his Rush defending and gap control but with his skating and reach, a good coach can get that on track. Also no one is asking him to run a PP, but there is a lot of improvement for his play in the ozone but the tools are there.

I just think he has everything you need to be a top defenseman. His floor is high too, so seems like a safe pick with big big home run upside.

The more I watch him the more he reminds me of a physical/defensive minded Power.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Anyone else think Simashev has the highest ceiling of draft eligible defensemen? Been watching some more of him and his puck skills are seriously underrated. He has a great set of hands for his size and position and seems to be able to pull off some impressive dekes. Skating is exceptional and incredibly rare for his size. Passing seems to be underrated as well. Think there is some potential in his shot to be unlocked as well. Has the ability to pick corners occasionally when he decides to shoot. His physicality is excellent and has the tendency to lay some big hits.

Needs to work on his Rush defending and gap control but with his skating and reach, a good coach can get that on track. Also no one is asking him to run a PP, but there is a lot of improvement for his play in the ozone but the tools are there.

I just think he has everything you need to be a top defenseman. His floor is high too, so seems like a safe pick with big big home run upside.

The more I watch him the more he reminds me of a physical/defensive minded Power.
Best D in the draft for me

Just give me a Russian. Michkov, Simashev, But. They’re all gonna be steals

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

13. Buffalo Sabres (Pick by Corey Pronman): Daniil But, RW, Lokomotiv
I was between But and Dmitri Simashev here for Buffalo, both of whom I think would fit in perfectly into their depth charts. I think But is just a bit more talented, and can provide a unique combination of size, speed and skill into the Sabres lineup. This organization has also shown a recent history of drafting Russians and getting them signed.

39. Buffalo Sabres (Pick by Scott Wheeler): Ethan Gauthier, RW, Sherbrooke
The Sabres have no shortage of talented forward prospects and Gauthier, who projects as a hard-working and well-rounded third-line guy who can move up and down the lineup, makes a lot of sense as a potential complement to them.

45. Buffalo Sabres (Pick by Scott Wheeler): Hunter Brzustewicz, RHD, Kitchener
After adding two wingers to their already-large pile with their first two picks of the draft, the Sabres are happy to add Brzustewicz, an athletic and smart defender who could some day factor into their depth behind stars Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Considering the easily protectable monster state of our forward corps three years from now, I can't see that being a fun sweat for us.

Didn't have the guts to say it, but I've been wondering why he isn't in that Barlow/But/Honzek conversation. He seems like the actual dawg amongst them.

I'm not sure on that. He seems like someone who is going to need to find ignition when his line doesn't have the puck and that's a concern. If he wasn't local, I don't think I would pay any attention to him at this spot.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'm not sure on that. He seems like someone who is going to need to find ignition when his line doesn't have the puck and that's a concern. If he wasn't local, I don't think I would pay any attention to him at this spot.
That's fair, everyone has their own take. But Musty has definitely risen to the point of being in that conversation among a number of analysts. EP isn't all-knowing , but they have him ahead of the other three. Honestly he resembles the type of player that surprises and gets taken 10-15 spots ahead of his consensus projection.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Some guys do find that ignition -- if it happens with Musty, you could have a major steal on your hands. I'm not comfortable with that risk at 13 either but a betting man might have a hard time resisting once you get deeper into the teens.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's fair, everyone has their own take. But Musty has definitely risen to the point of being in that conversation among a number of analysts. EP isn't all-knowing , but they have him ahead of the other three. Honestly he resembles the type of player that surprises and gets taken 10-15 spots ahead of his consensus projection.

Yeah, I read their write up. I have not seen what they did but that's possibly because I didn't spend a lot of time on him. I don't think I watched him at all after January 1st TBH.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Where do folks think Savoie would go in this draft? If people are talking about Benson falling, I could see Savoie lasting until 13, and maybe as far as 15.

I just had to cancel my subscription because I was spending too much time on the phone trying to address log in issues. I can never log inn.

Can someone just list the players he mentions, or a few highlights?

Reactions: Perry Tegula

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Where do folks think Savoie would go in this draft? If people are talking about Benson falling, I could see Savoie lasting until 13, and maybe as far as 15.

I just had to cancel my subscription because I was spending too much time on the phone trying to address log in issues. I can never log inn.

Can someone just list the players he mentions, or a few highlights?

Short form: Wood, Perreault, Simashev, (edit) Gulyayev, But, Honzek, Moore, Sale.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Honestly not a Sale fan, I would even take But before him.

Moore, Simashev, Wood and maybe Honzek.

Gulyaev is basically Russian Quinn Hughes type, the potential is good, but I would be damn surprised if Adams took him at 13, but I would also be surprised if he was not selected in the first round despite Russian factor.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I would also take But ahead of Sale. I'd take a few people who will be available ahead of him. I dont hate him or anything I just like probably 20+ people more. And math says 13 is less than that so I'm good without him

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Right but the conversation was about what the development years entail. The ELC years slide if they’re in Rochester the first year or two anyway. You’re talking about a one year difference at most…and they’re going to run out at the same age either way when your 13th overall pick signs after year 3 and you burn a year for him.

The slide or not, in terms of the player working on their game, it's likely that they wind up arriving at the same chronological time because of their growth and the need for the team to clear space for them to play.

The question is if they have two guys rated in the same tier…one of which says I’m going to school for three seasons and the other can be with their coaching, their trainer and their dietitian after a season or two…does that play a factor for them? Do they think they guy they can work with has a better development path than the guy they can’t?

Depends on their appetite to be forced to make roster moves. Constantly packing prospects in who all mature in rapid succession leaves little room to sort what players are actually good at and also what options there are available in trade. Bring the amplitude of the wave down, increase the wave length.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I’m liking where we stand at 13. Very deep first round and I kind of think the tier between about 8-9 to 16 is about equal.

I’ve been beating the Simashev drum for awhile and now I’m starting to come around on But, who I like but just at a later pick.
Realistically we should have one of those two or Barlow available and that’s a homerun imo.

My hope is one of Reinbacher, Leonard, Benson or Dvorsky falls to us but if not, give me one of the 3 above. Don’t get me started on Michkov, refuse to even enter my mind to get my hopes up.

If we can somehow get Musty at 39 and Strbak at 45 and I’ll be ready to order my future cup tickets.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I’ve been meaning to get around to watching But but had a hell of a time finding film. It’s my goal over the next few weeks.

I like Sale as a player and don’t really get why some are pretty low on him. He has a nice touch offensively and seems like to possess enough shooting, passing, and puck handling ability to put up some points. Has a nice frame too, I think he is a good “tools” prospect that could be maximized in our system.

Really not sold on Barlow and Moore. Don’t know if I see much of a ceiling for either one. Like some stuff to their games but I want Adams swinging for the fences with his picks as far as potential goes. It has seemed to work so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad