2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I always wonder like..whoever scouts the Czech league…that person must have been pounding the table on Kulich since they had him rated high and debated him at 16/tries to move up. If that guy loves Sale…given how Kulich has been nothing but a grand slam of a pick…i mean…it’s natural to listen to the people who nail it. I don’t know what kind of analytics they have for Czech hockey. But I do know they are not thrown off by production in that league. Some teams clearly are…Kulich fell to 28.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
I always wonder like..whoever scouts the Czech league…that person must have been pounding the table on Kulich since they had him rated high and debated him at 16/tries to move up. If that guy loves Sale…given how Kulich has been nothing but a grand slam of a pick…i mean…it’s natural to listen to the people who nail it. I don’t know what kind of analytics they have for Czech hockey. But I do know they are not thrown off by production in that league. Some teams clearly are…Kulich fell to 28.
Idk who it is but who ever it was really convinced management enough to where they were trying to trade up to 17 last year to select him. Luckily he fell to us at 28

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Probably be a reach on But at 13, maybe a trade down to grab him and Strbak?

Wonder if St Louis might consider something around Buffalo's 1st and 2nd (or the Philly 2nd) for the Dallas and Toronto 1sts.

I also said that too - it may be too high for him at 13. There are a bunch of players in that tier I like and if they go with one of them and it works, that's great. They have people trying to mine MHL games in recent years looking for players, they may have a strong case for DBut or Simashev at 13 or even down at 39 if they are there. *shrug* I am not advocating for any one particular player. There are a few I don't like, admittedly, and that's going to be interesting too.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I get the sense Baker is going to make a strong case for Simashev when he gets his appearances rolling. By the time he’s done he will have convinced me it’s fine to take him at 13. Not in love with the forward options likely to be there anyway. But you could see the spark Baker had for Simashev on his face when he briefly referenced him on Sabres Live Overtime a couple weeks back.

For what it’s worth…I think he’s a perfect fit for how the Sabres want to play. He’s the best defender in the class, great skater, size…and with the Sabres style he’s far more likely to show the offensive upside than he is somewhere where he will be asked to stay at home more. I maintain looking for a complete defensive minded D for Power is a mistake. They need someone who can skate and transition the puck utilizing what Power is special at…not being a liability on offense like Joker is constantly. Simashev can do that I think.

Another left shot…but they don’t care so I don’t either.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I get the sense Baker is going to make a strong case for Simashev when he gets his appearances rolling. By the time he’s done he will have convinced me it’s fine to take him at 13. Not in love with the forward options likely to be there anyway. But you could see the spark Baker had for Simashev on his face when he briefly referenced him on Sabres Live Overtime a couple weeks back.

For what it’s worth…I think he’s a perfect fit for how the Sabres want to play. He’s the best defender in the class, great skater, size…and with the Sabres style he’s far more likely to show the offensive upside than he is somewhere where he will be asked to stay at home more. I maintain looking for a complete defensive minded D for Power is a mistake. They need someone who can skate and transition the puck utilizing what Power is special at…not being a liability on offense like Joker is constantly. Simashev can do that I think.

Another left shot…but they don’t care so I don’t either.
I could see Simashev being gone by 13. He is rising in drafts and a team like Detroit or Washington could snag him over ASP also Vancouver seems to be looking for a defenseman too. It wouldn't be surprising.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I could see Simashev being gone by 13. He is rising in drafts and a team like Detroit or Washington could snag him over ASP also Vancouver seems to be looking for a defenseman too. It wouldn't be surprising.
Russian factor makes me pretty sure his rise will be stifled enough. But he is trending up the closer we get.

Maybe the lucky part is that Russia is banned from international competition. Teams see a guy this size flying around defending everyone…and any offense is put on display against peers? He flies up draft boards

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Craig Button (who is always wrong) has us taking Oliver Moore in his mock draft. Thoughts on him? I am definitely going to be checking out prospect videos in the near future. been slacking this season.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Russian factor makes me pretty sure his rise will be stifled enough. But he is trending up the closer we get.

Maybe the lucky part is that Russia is banned from international competition. Teams see a guy this size flying around defending everyone…and any offense is put on display against peers? He flies up draft boards
There are teams that do not care about the Russian factor, I'm sure Washington is one of them. If they see what they need in Simashev, they will take him.

Craig Button (who is always wrong) has us taking Oliver Moore in his mock draft. Thoughts on him? I am definitely going to be checking out prospect videos in the near future. Definitely been slacking.
I've only seen a few videos and what I've read about him, he would be a good choice at 13.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Similarly, whose watching MHL games and what does their data say about Simashev or But or even Galyayev? We know Frank Musil is the Sabres Czech scout. I think Ruslan Pechonkin/Petsonkin is handling Russia, he may have as much or more input than Musil at this moment.

Reactions: Fjordy

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Moore is a pure speed weapon, best skater in the draft, somewhat undersized, and not really elite offensive instincts from what I saw. His ultimate role may be fast gnat as opposed to a top-6 guy. Maybe like a Sami Kapanen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Moore is a pure speed weapon, best skater in the draft, somewhat undersized, and not really elite offensive instincts from what I saw. His ultimate role may be fast gnat as opposed to a top-6 guy. Maybe like a Sami Kapanen.

For a while, I've thought Moore is a safer pick between him and Smith as the two NTDP centers. He covers so much ice and yes, it would be great to see him convert more of the opportunities his speed creates into something, but I never feel like he's neglecting his side of the ice or being too risky in his own zone. None of this is data-borne, just from casual viewing some NTDP games prior to the U18's. Smith's stock has taken off and seems destined to go 8-10 picks before Moore now, but he should be a solid, high speed player. Hearing the Strength and Conditioning coach at the Program talk about Moore being faster than McDavid at the same age, faster than Larkin, but he does a lot of things that aren't flashy but win games.

I don't think Moore is there when they pick. I have him going in the 7-10 range.

Last edited:

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
If Moore is there at 13 you take him. Dudes just an elite player. I just don’t think he’ll make it past arizona at 12 ( or before ). Obviously If one of the RHD are there I’d take them but Moore/Sale should be right up there with them

Reactions: Chainshot

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If Moore is there at 13 you take him. Dudes just an elite player. I just don’t think he’ll make it past arizona at 12 ( or before ). Obviously If one of the RHD are there I’d take them but Moore/Sale should be right up there with them
How come when I read about Sale there seems to be a big question mark about his ability to play at a higher level and he has only performed well against players his age or younger. Seems to be a knock on him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
IMG_0417.jpeg
IMG_0417.jpeg

Reactions: Chainshot

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
How come when I read about Sale there seems to be a big question mark about his ability to play at a higher level and he has only performed well against players his age or younger. Seems to be a knock on him.

I’m not sure, anytime he’s been at a best on best tournament including the U20s as a 16/17 year old he’s looked great imo. He’s sub 170lbs so I think once he puts on weight he’s going to be a stud. I’ve liked him for a while, maybe I’m in the minority

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
No one produces in the Czech men’s league. Sale had a higher ppg than Kulich did predraft in the same league. Of course, Kulich went lower than Sale will.
Yeah this too. I just think sale’s ability to think the game at a high/fast pace is such an elite asset to have. He can create so much space for himself and his line mates. He’s got such a deceiving shot and can get it off in tight areas - we’ll being insanely accurate

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I also said that too - it may be too high for him at 13. There are a bunch of players in that tier I like and if they go with one of them and it works, that's great. They have people trying to mine MHL games in recent years looking for players, they may have a strong case for DBut or Simashev at 13 or even down at 39 if they are there. *shrug* I am not advocating for any one particular player. There are a few I don't like, admittedly, and that's going to be interesting too.
I think once you get past the first few picks you can drive yourself insane with the "is it too high for player x" discussion. We see teams go off the board all the time, and all it takes is one team to like the guy you want and boom, your trade down is screwed. If you like a guy, just take him when he's available.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I wish I had more non-tournament looks at Sale. He was so much fun with Kulich.

I think once you get past the first few picks you can drive yourself insane with the "is it too high for player x" discussion. We see teams go off the board all the time, and all it takes is one team to like the guy you want and boom, your trade down is screwed. If you like a guy, just take him when he's available.

Yep. There is certainly a group from just inside 10 down into the 20's that could be just about any order. I don't think we'll know for a while who is right and who is wrong (or who messes up their prospect development or what prospect stalls or... you get the idea). "Reach" in this is relative. Sometimes when teams feel really strongly about a guy and it shocks the consensus, it works - historically someone like Derek Morris on draft day or going back even further, Peter Forsberg.

I suppose it's that there isn't much to worry about being worked up one way or another when they pick. They've earned a bit of cache with their selection process of late so we'll have to see who they have and what picks they do make come draft day.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Pronman’s mock has Michkov falling to Washington at 8. He said discussions with people around the league leave them and Detroit as the betting favorites to draft him. Then he acknowledges he could be long gone before that…or drop even further.

The whispers about teams not picking him nearly as high as he should be are getting louder and more consistent. But it just takes one team to do it so there’s no way to really handicap it. Just…don’t be surprised by anything I guess. Like with Shane Wright last year. Many were stunned he went 4 even though it sure felt like the winds were pushing him out of the top 2 by draft night.

anyway…he has Benson falling to us…saying we’d probably like a different type of player (bigger/defense) and were a hard team to mock for…but we value skill high and he has all of it.

His mock has surprise picks all over it to make that happen btw. Honzek at 9. Willander at 10. Danielson at 11.

He qualifies the mock by saying it’s impossible to link players to teams that value them because the process is so far off still. Teams havent set their boards. But his is pretty wild. Also that he calls our pick so hard to read kind of reinforces that no one has little birds inside of our organization at this point. Which is why everything is always so quiet and surprising when it happens.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pronman’s mock has Michkov falling to Washington at 8. He said discussions with people around the league leave them and Detroit as the betting favorites to draft him. Then he acknowledges he could be long gone before that…or drop even further.

The whispers about teams not picking him nearly as high as he should be are getting louder and more consistent. But it just takes one team to do it so there’s no way to really handicap it. Just…don’t be surprised by anything I guess. Like with Shane Wright last year. Many were stunned he went 4 even though it sure felt like the winds were pushing him out of the top 2 by draft night.

anyway…he has Benson falling to us…saying we’d probably like a different type of player (bigger/defense) and were a hard team to mock for…but we value skill high and he has all of it.

His mock has surprise picks all over it to make that happen btw. Honzek at 9. Willander at 10. Danielson at 11.

Seems like he's recoiled from years of over-estimating the small skatey-spinny-stickhandle guys to lean more toward size.

SabresNorth

Nov 6, 2021
Could be the Czech league or could have been a bit of his play at the U18s that really impressed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

13. Buffalo Sabres: Zach Benson, LW, Winnipeg (WHL)

This is a tough pick to mock. I think the Sabres would prefer a player with size, especially a defenseman. I don’t know if there’s an obvious choice based on the board though. This organization values skill high in the draft and Benson is full of it — especially at 13 it could be too much to pass up.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Who would you be hoping falls to the 11th spot in the draft order?

Scout 1
: I don’t think Zach Benson will fall, but I would be hopeful people overlook Ryan Leonard because he’s 5-foot-11.

Scout 2: From 10-12, you’re hoping maybe Benson somehow slips, or maybe Colby Barlow. I think he’s close to being NHL ready. Dalibor Dvorsky was outstanding at the U18s for Slovakia — I think he’s a slam dunk if he hasn’t already been snapped up.

Scout 3: There’s really good players at the top end of this draft and that could bump a player like Benson down, and they’re bigger players. The only other smaller player up there is Matvei Michkov, the other top guys are all six-footers. So I could see Benson falling into the 10 or 11 hole, I could see that happening.

Scout 4: I think there’s a slim chance Benson falls. I don’t think it’ll happen, but you never rule out what can happen at the draft with a guy who is 5-foot-9 and 160 pounds. If there’s a guy to slide, that might be the guy and that’s probably going to be the reason.

Benson snagged an injury at the end of the year and hasn’t quite been up to his usual standard in the playoffs, but he should be in his usual form by the time the WHL final rolls around. It could also depend on how the playoffs go, if certain teams find success playing heavy hockey and you look at the size and weight on the back-end for teams that got through round 1, you could see teams getting a bit gun-shy about taking a guy Benson’s size. I think that would be ridiculous, but there’s always a chance.

He might be the smartest player in this draft class, and he might be the hardest-working player in this draft class. Right there with that foundation, you have a player that could go a long, long way in the NHL. I’m not sure his skating or hands are at the high end of this draft class, but they both project out well. All in, this is a guy that has a good shot of being an All-Star level scoring winger with high-end two-way ability when he’s at the peak of his career.

Is there a defenseman who would warrant a top 10 pick?

Scout 1:
I wouldn’t take a D in that No.9-11 range. Because of their shortage, they’re going to be over-drafted.

Scout 2: There’s not a defenceman that would jump into that top 10 for me. Would a team like Vancouver be willing to move down a couple slots, pick up (an extra asset) and take a player like David Reinbacher around 12 or 13? I don’t think that’s a stretch. The problem is those guys — Reinbacher, Axel Sandin-Pellikka — get picked earlier because there’s not many of them.

Scout 3: I don’t think there are any defenseman worth picking that high. Reinbacher would be the only guy I’d consider. The year for drafting defenseman, and I wonder if teams are going to make mistakes in this class by reaching for defenders. There’s like 22 or 23 defenders tracking to be first or second-round calibre defenders in the 2024 draft class, based on what I’m projecting right now, and probably 10 of them will warrant selection in the first round.

As a result, a player like Reinbacher is going to carry a little bit higher value this year. Teams are going to be looking to address that need, and you shouldn’t address need in the first round, but some teams will.

Scout 4: It’s not really a great year for defenseman.

The big defenseman that’s highly rated in the draft simply because he’s a big defenseman always sets off alarm bells, because you have to be bringing more than that to the table in the top 10. Luckily Reinbacher seems to be a solid prospect, and is likely to be a solid NHL contributor for a long time.

Still, Reinbacher might go even higher than that because everyone wants that right-shot defenseman. Just shooting right is worth like plus-5 in terms of his draft stock. The things that everyone is looking for at the draft are centres and right-handed defensemen, so whenever you see a guy like Reinbacher, with that size, that’s cat nip to teams. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he goes higher than 11 or 12 on draft day.

Would Reinbacher be a good fit for the Canucks at 11th overall?

Scout 1
: I’m not sold on him. He’s going to go in the 8-12 range — maybe even 6 or 7 — because someone will overdraft him, but I see him as more of a mid-to-late first-round talent. Drafting for need is going to bite you, especially when next year’s D crop is outstanding.

That said, he’s got a good body, moves well, good brain. The skating and hockey sense is his (top) quality and he’s a good puck mover. The (offensive) numbers are misleading, I think they’re more fortuitous than they are (for) him making plays — lots of second assists. He doesn’t have the compete level either. I wouldn’t call him soft but he’s definitely just a stick-on-puck and possession type of guy.

He’s going to play (in the NHL) but I think he’s more of a complementary guy — he’s not the type to rebuild a blue line around the way David Jiricek or Moritz Seider are. If you’re already a good team and you bring him into the fold, you’re going to be really happy. He’s a player, but at 9/10/11? It’s not sexy.

You either have to live with the knowledge of over-drafting him or you trade back and there’s a risk that you might not even get him and he was your No. 1 option.

Scout 2: Reinbacher’s a good player — he’s a late 2004 birthday — sometimes those late ’04 birthdays can go underrated and not enough love from scouts because they don’t get those (international) tournaments that get all the viewings in November, February and now the world championships.

He’s more of a two-way defender. He’s tall, slender puck-moving defenceman. He’s got good mobility, he excels at exiting the (defensive) zone with the puck. I don’t think he’s the type of player to lead the rush, but one of those guys that anticipates, jumps in holes and brings that second wave of offence on a rush.

Scout 3: I think he’s right in Vancouver’s wheelhouse and I like Reinbacher, but I don’t like him that high personally.

You’ve got to hope with him. He’s an Austrian kid used to playing on the European ice who doesn’t really have a physical dimension to his game just yet and picked up a lot of secondary points — so I don’t really think he’s a driver of offence, even though his point totals reflect otherwise.

I wasn’t overwhelmingly impressed with him at the world juniors against his own age group. He’s got to get bigger and stronger, which applies to everybody, so that’s one “hope.”

Then he’s got to translate his game to the North American ice, so that’s another “hope.”

Thirdly he’s got to play more physically on North American ice at his position, so that’s another gamble.

Then finally I’m not sure he’s going to be an offensive driver, even though he’s scoring goals in the Swiss league, he’s not a driver and he certainly didn’t seem like an offensive driver in the world juniors.

What about the other defencemen expected to be contenders to go in the first round? Would any of Mikhail Gulyayev, Axel Sandin-Pellikka, Dmitri Simashev or Tom Willander warrant selection on the fringes of the top 10?

Scout 3
: I like Sandin-Pelikka, he’s got a clear way of playing as a power-play guy. I don’t think he warrants selection at that point in the draft though.

Willander is a heck of a defenseman, but I don’t know if he’s in that 11 or 12-pick grouping either. Those two though are first-round calibre players, in my book.

The Russian, Simashev, he’s really good, he’s 6-foot-4 and 205, if he was a North American player or Swedish or Finnish or German or something, he’d probably be picked in the back part of the top-10. We’ll see how teams weigh that risk.

It’s tough, if you’re dead set on picking a defenseman that high. Especially if you’re a team that needs another young, right-handed defender. The thing to remember though is that even Reinbacher, who is the best of this group, is 3-4 years away from playing, I think, especially because he doesn’t play a hard, heavy game.

Scout 4: I like Gulyayev. He started the season with a lot of heat. He was putting up a ton of points on the power play with a really good MHL team in Omsk. Then he cooled off.

It’s hard to forecast Russian players, because it’s tough to get a read on them with how their system over there works. Teams aren’t incentivized to play their best players, because they want to give an edge to guys that will be with them long-term. Different teams have different approaches in terms of moving guys up to the VHL and the KHL, as opposed to why and who they hold down.

It’s encouraging that he spent some time in the VHL and I thought he held his own. I’m not sure that he’s at the top half of the first round of this draft class in terms of the defenders in it, but there’s things to like. He can be overly simplistic in how he moves the puck. I’m not sure how high his upside is, but he’s certainly intriguing.

And Simashev, you see 6-foot-4, 200 pounds with mediocre scoring numbers and think he’s going to be a defensive guy, but he’s not. He’s a smooth skater, good puck mover and can transition the puck really well.

Scout 1: Sandin Pellikka’s a great player. But I’d be very leery of past history with 5-foot-11ish D. Erik Brannstrom, Victor Soderstrom, Nils Lundkvist — none of these guys are hitting their mark. And Reinbacher’s not Erik Karlsson. (Adam) Boqvist was the closest to Karlsson and he hasn’t even hit. You’ve got to be special as a smaller D to (go that high). Like Quinn (Hughes) was special. The skating, skill level, hockey sense, already being in the NCAA in his draft year — those were all separating skills. Sandin Pelikka’s brain is separating but nothing else is exceptional. That would worry me.

Scout 2: I think Sandin Pellikka is more of a mid-first-round talent for me — No. 12-18ish. He has a little bit of Hughes in his game with his edges. He moves pucks, he’s got good poise, he has a really good offensive blue-line presence. But how many 5-foot-11 defencemen can you have on your roster before you have too many? If you have Hughes and Hronek, can you add another 5-foot-11 defenceman to that group and win a Stanley Cup? I don’t know.

This is a Canucks article that has a lot of opinions that apply to the Sabres at 13, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad