2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think it's a significantly deeper draft than usual through the top 15ish picks. The top 10 especially are stronger than average, when you have players like Barlow projected into the teens when most years he'd be top 5-7 it's pretty deep. The perception of weakness is due to the lackluster defense and then having players like Yager, Ritchie and Allen fall off
I wouldn’t rate Barlow higher than a bunch of guys who went mid round last year. It’s just a draft after the very top. With less top D. If someone wants 13 and will give us something good…get out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wouldn’t rate Barlow higher than a bunch of guys who went mid round last year. It’s just a draft after the very top. With less top D. If someone wants 13 and will give us something good…get out.

The difference is that the top 4-5-6 guys in this draft would be 1OA last year. The possibility of getting someone akin to Gauthier or even Wright at 8-9-10 range is the thing. Having that cadre at the top pushes the merely good players down in the order and makes them available a bit later. The second round also looks like a better collection as well, though that likely is not determined for years.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Simashev starting to climb on mock drafts. 13th is a reach?

This sounds like it was written by someone that doesn't realize Buffalo is trying to balance out their talent level with good two-way players. Cristall is the exact opposite of what Buffalo is going for right now.
mynhldraft has Buffalo taking Cristall also.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Simashev starting to climb on mock drafts. 13th is a reach?

mynhldraft has Buffalo taking Cristall also.
Depending on how the board broke, I’d take him at 13. Doubt he lasts to the 20s so you’d only be “reaching” by a few picks. I’m higher on him than most though, he’s huge, has wheels, physically engaged and will clear the crease. I can’t remember what his contract is over there but outside of Reinbacher he’s the closest Dman to NHL ready too.

The only real thing is he’s a left shot. I’m not sure if he or Power could play on the right side at the same level they are on the left but he’s a Sammy type stalwart in our top 4.

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
It's at least a fledgling effort by adding Greenway and Stillman. By now, I'd like to think KA believes there isn't more room for a one-way offensive player a la Olofsson. But yes you're right about seeing is believing.
He's not drafting big two way killer ( for need etc) First they take at least a year longer to develop. So that first or second rounder won't help our chomping at the bit. hit somebody , now. NOW , gey that fookin rebound and craash the net, ya big cocky fckwad , NOW, now?
No, these big two guys will sit and develop in some League then the AHL .. and arrive just in time to be penciled in for the 25, 26 training camp. And they're never guranteed to keep hitting or forechecking in the Big top. KA could have kept Carrier as he would work great w our lineup.. You could trade for a guy as good or better for oloffson and high second...
Whoever Said best athlete, best high end and or quickest to contribute now.. If he's a savant teo way player w net front presence and can crack the line up by January, Good Luck at 13, but he's our guy . The article guy might be right w anyone that's s freak shot and hard on the puck . Take the top 15 Xmas gifts and KA is getting one that won't miss , maybe he drafts rob ray , Barnaby in the 3rd to seventh. He left ohgren rightly on the bosrd and took Little ostlund , standing on his toes to reach grannie's cookies..He is at very least consistent . someone here could identify the Peca in this class. I imagine Kev shared many traits w peca.. I bet tage could drop him and Barnaby if he wanted to

Im not sure he trades for a Carrier, Maroon type until the deadline unless an skating type if thachuk , that's not a moron tool of a human comes available.. I could see a D that hits ( top 40) and can keep up w power and is way quicker processing and skating than Stillman .

We'll see, this draft needs to help now as this team will be ready to top Boston 64 wins and hit the cheap teams that injured our guys w legal beatings that Timo intentionally misses the next as our team is PISSED and plots to take over the world and shame any Buffalo reporters that ask moronic questions throughout the process..

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Depending on how the board broke, I’d take him at 13. Doubt he lasts to the 20s so you’d only be “reaching” by a few picks. I’m higher on him than most though, he’s huge, has wheels, physically engaged and will clear the crease. I can’t remember what his contract is over there but outside of Reinbacher he’s the closest Dman to NHL ready too.

The only real thing is he’s a left shot. I’m not sure if he or Power could play on the right side at the same level they are on the left but he’s a Sammy type stalwart in our top 4.

He's got some of the same sort of subtle defensive game most of the time that we get out of guys like Samuelsson, though he doesn't have as refined a technique with his stick check. He's got the tools and I don't see processing issues that are going to inhibit those tools from being used in concert with one another. (Same with DBut honestly.)

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think it's a significantly deeper draft than usual through the top 15ish picks. The top 10 especially are stronger than average, when you have players like Barlow projected into the teens when most years he'd be top 5-7 it's pretty deep. The perception of weakness is due to the lackluster defense and then having players like Yager, Ritchie and Allen fall off
Yager at least has turned it on in the playoffs. I know MJ is a deep and high scoring team, but 2ppg is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Does Michkov fall at the draft due to his eligibility and commitment to the KHL? Most drafts I have seen have him going 3rd but I think I would take Carlsson over him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Does Michkov fall at the draft due to his eligibility and commitment to the KHL? Most drafts I have seen have him going 3rd but I think I would take Carlsson over him.

It all depends on the intel that teams at the top have on Michkov. If they get word that he's committed to coming over as soon as his contract expires after 25/26......I don't think he'll slip past 4. If there's some waffling......then yeah, I think he could take a fall.

If we luck out and draft 3rd.....I take Carlsson over Michkov with zero hesitation at all. At 4.......I would seriously consider Reinbacher over Michkov.

If Reinbacher is off the board at 13 and Michkov is there? I run to the podium to take Michkov, and anticipate that he comes over for 26/27 and has a Kaprizov-like effect.....bringing elite performance on an ELC.

Reactions: elchud

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
@Chainshot

It's early, but I'm running away with an idea from the presser. The idea we make the 13th pick.

My question is the ever rare trade-back. How far can we trade back, and still get Simashev?

Example: Det has NYI's 1st (18th right now) and also 3 2nds in the low 40s.

Reactions: elchud

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It seems like NHL GMs are completely in the dark as to who the other teams will be picking -- is that how the NHL, NBA, and MLB is? This is why trading up/down is so rare. We tried desperately last year to trade up for a guy we didn't even need to trade up for! Would've been wasteful...I'd try to spend more time trying to get an accurate mock draft down.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
@Chainshot

It's early, but I'm running away with an idea from the presser. The idea we make the 13th pick.

My question is the ever rare trade-back. How far can we trade back, and still get Simashev?

Example: Det has NYI's 1st (18th right now) and also 3 2nds in the low 40s.

I am still listening to Granato, haven't gotten to Adams yet. I'm not sure they can plan for it, but explore it, sure.

It seems like NHL GMs are completely in the dark as to who the other teams will be picking -- is that how the NHL, NBA, and MLB is? This is why trading up/down is so rare. We tried desperately last year to trade up for a guy we didn't even need to trade up for! Would've been wasteful...I'd try to spend more time trying to get an accurate mock draft down.

I think they do know a bit who teams like and they spend time first building their draft list then in doing mocks to approach who goes where. They do spend a lot of time trying to figure out how they think it will go but they will also have some baked in bias for guys who they like. That's going to build in some tension for them. Luckily it worked out. I don't know if it is still the same way now, but often times, teams around each other do talk a bit and often have an idea at least at the 11th hour who another team is taking or moves they are making. That's why the 2002 draft had the shuffling it did - Regier had a deal worked out to move up to select Nash with Atlanta and Columbus got word of it and moved up instead. Atlanta came out of it with the highly regarded goaltender Lehtonen and Buffalo stayed put, took Ballard who they used in the Drury deal and thankfully didn't trade the pick and Ryan Miller to Atlanta to select Rick Nash.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If we win the lottery what place do we get? The rules change almost every year so can someone explain the outcome? Thank you in advance.
1681926705521.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If it's a shoulder, Benson certainly isn't shirking contact. He just blew up the Warriors goalie on a net drive.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Moose Jaw tied it up and Yager with the primary. Yager is gonna push his way into the top 10 if Moose Jaw wins and he keeps going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad