2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Can someone help me understand how the Sabres could end up picking 4th? I just read that they move up max 10 on either draw. In what scenario does that end up being the 4th pick?

Nevermind. If the first lotto ball goes to a team behind the Sabres, it moves them back to 14. So 4th would be 10 spots.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Damn, lots of mock drafts have Reinbacher going top 10. 3 months ago he would have been a reach at 13.

I kind of flipped from drafting a defenseman to drafting BPA if Reinbacher is off the board not interested in undersized ASP.

Barlow seems like another interesting pick that could be there at 13. Gonna be lots of choices with that 13th pick.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Trade up.

He skating looks real good and gap control is also awesome to watch. He could be in the AHL next year and NHL the year after that. He is playing against men now.

At least if Reinbacher and ASP is off the board by 13th it means some pretty good forward prospects have dropped into our lap.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He’ll probably go in the 5-7 range and basically no one has ever traded to that range in generations. Especially not happening in a top-heavy draft like this.

I feel he is the only logical choice for MTL at 5. They can’t be adding any more small guys.

Vancouver fans are also advocating hard for him.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He’ll probably go in the 5-7 range and basically no one has ever traded to that range in generations. Especially not happening in a top-heavy draft like this.

I feel he is the only logical choice for MTL at 5. They can’t be adding any more small guys.
PHI at 7 is a thought, if in fact they're thinking volume for a rebuild.

Also, a 16-to-7 trade was a NMC away last year, and I don't consider 5-15 in 23 to be any better than in 22.:dunno:

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
PHI at 7 is a thought, if in fact they're thinking volume for a rebuild.

Also, a 16-to-7 trade was a NMC away last year :dunno:
After what we did to them in the Risto trade, they’re not giving us a discount. With last year’s 1sts being untouchable, I don’t see what we could offer. VO, UPL, or a handful of 2nd round picks ain’t anywhere close.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
After what we did to them in the Risto trade, they’re not giving us a discount. With last year’s 1sts being untouchable, I don’t see what we could offer. VO, UPL, or a handful of 2nd round picks ain’t anywhere close.
I was thinking more Rosen, Jokiharju, our 24-1st and somehow wrangle in Carter Hart.

Also, Risto trade was on previous management, and Risto has been surprisingly solid under Torts.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I know it's just highlights, but that breakdown has me geeked for Reinbacher. Guy makes a lot of NHL plays.
The play at 2:30 stands out to me.

Going from defense-mode to one touching the puck to a place where only his teammate can get it, all while 2 opponents converge on him, is impressive.

I guess everyone is capable of that play, and I haven't seen enough to know it that's his standard, but what a difference it makes when a D-man knows exactly where to go with the puck, without much time to react.

Edit: well they just showed clips of him turning into the wall under pressure so idk what to think

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I think with Smith and Moore it made total sense to have him on RW to make the top 6 work. Not sure where he will end up in the NHL like I'm not sure about Kulich/Savoie and we weren't sure about Cozens and still not sure about Mitts. Will call him a center cuz he is certainly capable of the position and has played the position and hopefully could be a NHL center. He has center tendencies at the very least.

Coming out if the draft it was correctly said that we drafted 3 centers. Ostlund might be the only one to be a NHL center.

In orchestras you're have violins playing viola, and not the other way round. To me a wing is a player simply won't ever play center, which is why I thought the short Quinn experiment was a little silly.

As for what range players are going to be picked, that's certainly a big deal in how NFL teams make draft day / draft pick trades. I think it's less of a thing with the NHL given players not immediately going to NFL rosters that have scheme certainty. I think Simashev drops to early 20s because of Russia factor, the contract he currently has, and the fact that he will probably never quarterback a PP in the NHL. I could definitely be wrong about that.

I appreciate the level of certainty with which you post about where players are going to be. (That's not a dig, please don't take it as such.)

Leonard is and will be a wing. Yager may well be better suited to being a winger at the next level since he seems to need someone to lug the mail.

Fortin has described Savoie and Ostlund as being PITA's to play against in their view. They are both annoying players. Leonard? He's not just scrappy, he's legitimately fierce with his physical play. And that's something lacking from the Sabres prospect pool and not for nothing, their roster. That is something teams pay a premium for going into the playoffs and something, if they are serious about any sort of post-season success, that they need to start developing from within. I would run to the podium if Leonard was there at 13, pointing at him the entire way. I would Tim Murray it and just say "Leonard, now!" And all of that isn't even digging into what an excellent finisher he is. The kid is going to score to go along with it.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
You need to watch more Bryson. He doesn’t do anything well. At all. He has no comparable to a player with any ability in any zone.

Ok and? What you gleaned from my post is that I think Bryson is good. Which is wrong. I hated Bryson two years ago, but was willing to give him a chance.

What I’m actually saying is the ASP is a better Bryson. As in he’ll get a few more assists, but does nothing well enough to justify being a 1st rounder. ASP is *at best* a 3rd rounder, which is slightly above where I’d take Bryson if he was young enough to be drafted (extremely late 3rd or 4th).

I mean, I even gave two examples of RHD that I would take ahead of ASP. You’re just looking to be confrontational.

But please, go on with continuing to think you’re the smartest person on this subforum. Have a nice day :)

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder how much Benson playing is his agent telling him he needs to show he can tough it out for draft position

Could be. Some of it is certainly timing but he had some very uncharacteristic mishandles in these two games. It'll be interesting to see if his timing comes back or if the handling issues persist.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
pretending we keep pick 13:

Top 4: Bedard fantilli Michkov Carlsson, whatever order

5-10: likely smith benson Leonard Moore reinbacher sale

11-12: gets hard here, I keep seeing yager, cristall or Barlow. Let’s say Barlow, because I wouldn’t pick cristall in the top 25.

13:
That leaves buf with
Simashev
Heidt
Danielson
Dvorsky
Wood
Pellikka

I’m not in love with any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad