2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Which draft simulator site do most people use? One that has the most updated draft positions and player rankings?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

13. Buffalo Sabres: Andrew Cristall, LW, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)​

The Sabres are so loaded with young talent at this point that I think they’re willing to take a bit of a risk on Andrew Cristall, who will likely fall a bit on draft day due to his lack of size (5-foot-10) and his uninspiring skating ability. However, Cristall has the offensive potential to surpass his faults and become an excellent offensive player in the NHL. Cristall’s pure skill level is astounding and his shot is extremely underrated, so if he can make it work in the NHL he has the potential to be a Jeff Skinner or Kyle Connor type who provides tons of value on offense while not being a particularly good two-way player.

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This sounds like it was written by someone that doesn't realize Buffalo is trying to balance out their talent level with good two-way players. Cristall is the exact opposite of what Buffalo is going for right now.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I will believe that is the approach to the draft the Sabres want to take when they actually do it.

:laugh:
It's at least a fledgling effort by adding Greenway and Stillman. By now, I'd like to think KA believes there isn't more room for a one-way offensive player a la Olofsson. But yes you're right about seeing is believing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's at least a fledgling effort by adding Greenway and Stillman. By now, I'd like to think KA believes there isn't more room for a one-way offensive player a la Olofsson. But yes you're right about seeing is believing.

They talk up competitiveness, of being a pain in the ass to play against. They have leaned in pretty hard on the smaller, crafty guys, but I don't see the compeeetz in Cristall that they get out of the vast majority (10 of 12) of their top 100 forward picks under Adams stewardship. Rosen and Sardarian would be guys who I would say are light on the PITA side of things compared to the rest. So while it's possible they go Cristall, they have a type that tends to involve comments like "relentless" and "hounding" as well as things like "explosive" and "excellent edges"... and I am not seeing that from him yet.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I think it's kind of clear that Adams and company have a true BPA approach to the 1st/2nd rounds of the draft, and they'll figure the rest out as they go. They value athleticism over position. Just look at the number of defensemen we passed over at 16, 28 and 41 last year. If KA and company were worried about filling defensemen into the pool or grit.........our picks would have been much different last year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think it's kind of clear that Adams and company have a true BPA approach to the 1st/2nd rounds of the draft, and they'll figure the rest out as they go. They value athleticism over position. Just look at the number of defensemen we passed over at 16, 28 and 41 last year. If KA and company were worried about filling defensemen into the pool or grit.........our picks would have been much different last year.

Still, almost every forward they've taken has some commentary about them being at worst a yappy dog and at best "relentless". While they do seem to go with BPA, their idea of BPA involves that aspect of the game as much as skating, skill and IQ.

Reactions: Zman5778

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Wasn't that the reason Brayden Point went 79th?
For every Brayden Point, there are dozens of Chase De Leo’s, who was same draft, same size, same criticism. Point was also knocked for being on a crap team, a criticism that has reversed in recent drafts, in no small part because of statistical models that favored Point.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Speaking of small players, I watched a little of the top prospects game, which is free on chl tv again, and liked pinelli.

Side note, I'm now getting a bunch of kubota ads on hf as a result

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
For every Brayden Point, there are dozens of Chase De Leo’s, who was same draft, same size, same criticism. Point was also knocked for being on a crap team, a criticism that has reversed in recent drafts, in no small part because of statistical models that favored Point.
Idk if De Leo is a good comp for exactly the team strength reason. Production on a team that struggles to score is more impressive, and in that regard I'd think cristall would be closer to point than cdl.

That said, I'm not advocating for cristall, haven't watched him yet, just that I wouldn't write off a player immediately for those reasons alone, cristall or otherwise

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'd be quite happy if Buffalo picked someone out of Barlow, Leonard, Danielson, Ritchie, Dvorsky, or Honzek
From that group I guess I’d take Danielson? But honestly I look at it and I’d really want them to go after someone like Trade T. Pick or Bundle 4 Defense.

I think they play in the Q.

Has reality set in about this draft for the people who fought me months ago that it wasn’t actually special after the very top yet?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I think it's a significantly deeper draft than usual through the top 15ish picks. The top 10 especially are stronger than average, when you have players like Barlow projected into the teens when most years he'd be top 5-7 it's pretty deep. The perception of weakness is due to the lackluster defense and then having players like Yager, Ritchie and Allen fall off

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Carlsson_FinalRankings_Notable-17063233.png

The "cards" they made are pretty cool.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And sign me up for one of the two Russians as the late round goalie flyer pick: