2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Yep, that's exactly what's going to happen. I'd LOVE Reinbacher at our pick.....hell, I wouldn't mind a mild trade up (say to 8 or 9) for him.

But I'm more looking for bigger forwards who at least try to play with a bit of an edge.....that seems much more in line with the talent we're looking at in the low teens.
Yep, bring in forecheckers, grit, and hard to play agianst kids, we see how important missing Tuch is, but Defensive depth is a big concern, I know you and everyone knows that. The problem of course they are 2-5 years out.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Yep, that's exactly what's going to happen. I'd LOVE Reinbacher at our pick.....hell, I wouldn't mind a mild trade up (say to 8 or 9) for him.

But I'm more looking for bigger forwards who at least try to play with a bit of an edge.....that seems much more in line with the talent we're looking at in the low teens.
I agree that a bigger forward with a bit of jam would be great or a defenseman the same but unfortunately this draft is loaded with undersized skilled forwards. Terrible timing for Buffalo. Simashev is the only other defenseman in the first round worthy but he is not worth taking at 10 Simashev is better as a project back around 25.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Dvorsky isn't talked about much here, probably because he isn't a great skater, doesn't play a speed game and isn't going to be a net front guy. He is a sure-fire 3C however. I think he has a higher floor than Leonard which is why I like him more.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Dvorsky isn't talked about much here, probably because he isn't a great skater, doesn't play a speed game and isn't going to be a net front guy. He is a sure-fire 3C however. I think he has a higher floor than Leonard which is why I like him more.
A Lundell type. Maybe Buffalo should trade back from their spot if the only thing available is stuff we’ve already for a surplus of.

Simashev and Dragicevic are highly underrated on this board.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

His mobility is fine. I wouldn't say he's a guaranteed 3C - the guy can load up on his shot and does a nice job of distributing to both sides.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A Lundell type. Maybe Buffalo should trade back from their spot if the only thing available is stuff we’ve already for a surplus of.

Pardon? That's not indicative of the conversation thus far. Maybe in some other place that may be the case but there is certainly conversation about both. That statement just doesn't add up to the rest of the thread.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I think with Dragicevic it's more that we know we don't need a PP1 defenseman so we aren't looking at them. I wouldn't pass on him as a BPA but it's looking like that won't be at issue, because I don't have him as a BPA if we have a top-16 pick. Also, he kinda reminds me of Risto, bad vibes there

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think with Dragicevic it's more that we know we don't need a PP1 defenseman so we aren't looking at them. I wouldn't pass on him as a BPA but it's looking like that won't be at issue, because I don't have him as a BPA if we have a top-16 pick. Also, he kinda reminds me of Risto, bad vibes there

His best skills are certainly redundant.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

I was watching scouting video of Simashev and he seems more like a project than anything and not at 10. Small guys taking the puck from him in the corners, missing the puck completely on one timers and throwing the puck away on outlet passes. Skating looks good and gap control is good and plays the forward well when they enter the defensive zone but has some work to do.

Maybe @Chainshot can chime in about him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was watching scouting video of Simashev and he seems more like a project than anything and not at 10. Small guys taking the puck from him in the corners, missing the puck completely on one timers and throwing the puck away on outlet passes. Skating looks good and gap control is good and plays the forward well when they enter the defensive zone but has some work to do.

Maybe @Chainshot can chime in about him.

Must be the Recrutes video from a few weeks ago.

I can guarantee every single draft eligible defenseman is going to have moments where someone can look at a play and think "WTF". I love that you went right to the first couple of things in that game against Dynamo St. Petersburg. He has the tools - the size and mobility are both excellent, he uses his stick well to kill plays but needs to get better at it. There is a projection to what he brings in terms of frame and skills. I see a mobile defensive-defenseman in the future, while the skills might point to questions about where is the scoring, they also point to someone who can be shaped into being good in his own zone and capable of transitioning pucks to safety after killing plays.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I'm sad this morning, someone brighten my day with some prospect talk in the 8-12 range.
Haha. That’s why I’m here. I went for a 2 hour conditioning walk this morning in preparation for my next hike and I was thinking about this season. Maybe I was a victim of being sucked in by our overachievement. So I’ve reset expectations and hope we continue to build through the draft.
I guess the challenge is we can’t fix our problems in D through the draft because it’ll take at least three years for them to start hitting their stride. Is KA going to make moves to improve the team through FA signings and trades? History thus far says no, but who knows. I’m rambling.

Who do we get at the range we are looking at? And are any of them forwards who can put fist to face?

Reactions: EichHart

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
20F7C44F-C13C-4EA9-9FDE-28504568C670.jpeg

4 rounder ;)

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
I'm sad this morning, someone brighten my day with some prospect talk in the 8-12 range.
We are forfeiting all our picks because the franchise feels guilty about wasting all their careers before they have a chance to truly begin.
Honestly we'll finish as a bubble team and lotto into the top 3.

Also Matthew Mania is a great name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad