2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My biggest gripe with Musty is that he doesn't seem motivated most games, but when he's dialed in and engaged, his game is power forward-esque. The traits are there and I'd hedge a bet that's what he'll become with maturity and proper development.

Musty is very much like Geekie last year in that self-motivation seems to be highly inconsistent. I want to really like him as the tools are tantalising but I feel that most games he'll just leave you wanting more which is a character flaw KA steers away from in his picks

Geekie is the very guy who has skills to take over a game but still needs something external to find the ignition to get going. Musty's got such terrible body language and that sort of thing gives me pause. I get the local connection and there are some skills there... but without knowing more about him and why the visuals of his struggles match up with some of the commentary about coachability and effort and his effect on his teammates, I'm more likely to pass on him on draft day if I don't know what else is going on.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Undersized with nonelite skating generally isn't a good combination. I can't see him lasting past ~25ish and wouldn't be surprised if a team grabbed him late teens as his skating should improve with strength and technique but you can't teach offensive Instincts
Debrincat 2.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Geekie is the very guy who has skills to take over a game but still needs something external to find the ignition to get going. Musty's got such terrible body language and that sort of thing gives me pause. I get the local connection and there are some skills there... but without knowing more about him and why the visuals of his struggles match up with some of the commentary about coachability and effort and his effect on his teammates, I'm more likely to pass on him on draft day if I don't know what else is going on.
I have trouble trusting Musty. No consistency.

If he's our pick though, I'll end up justifying it as 'Adams should know this player well I guess'

As purely a set of attributes, he's what Buffalo will be looking for.

I really want this pick to be D focused though. Either draft one, or better, trade it for a now guy

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have trouble trusting Musty. No consistency.

If he's our pick though, I'll end up justifying it as 'Adams should know this player well I guess'

As purely a set of attributes, he's what Buffalo will be looking for.

I really want this pick to be D focused though. Either draft one, or better, trade it for a now guy

If Musty wasn't from WNY, I don't know if he even comes up in Buffalo conversation honestly.

If they make it in and stay to 17 or 18 in the selection order, I almost wonder if the strategy for draft day is to look for a faller and if not there, perhaps look to slide back to stock a couple more picks, giving them some flexibility in making a picks-for-defenseman move and still stay in the late 2nd and/or get back into the 3rd round.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If Musty wasn't from WNY, I don't know if he even comes up in Buffalo conversation honestly.

If they make it in and stay to 17 or 18 in the selection order, I almost wonder if the strategy for draft day is to look for a faller and if not there, perhaps look to slide back to stock a couple more picks, giving them some flexibility in making a picks-for-defenseman move and still stay in the late 2nd and/or get back into the 3rd round.
Good point. Good year to trade back.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
What dman should I start looking at with our 1st pick?
Haven’t really done much research yet as I usually wait until spring/early summer to start watching prospect highlights so take this all with a grain of salt. Other posters would definitely have more insightful takes.

From what I can see Reinbacher is the number 1 D that will probably be gone well before us. He’s awesome.

Pellikka is a smaller mobile RHD that likely goes in the middle of the 1st, so probably gone before us.

Guyayev is a small offensive LHD slated mid 1st at the moment.

Dragicevic is a RHD that some teams will love and some will hate. He’s all offense and from what I’ve seen is pretty rough in his own end. Could go back half of the 1st.

Simashev is a big LHD that is more of a defensive d. Haven’t watched him much yet but seems like he’s slotted in the second half of the first at the moment.

This draft class is pretty solid for forward prospects but seems like nothing crazy at defense.

Reactions: EichHart

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pronman revisions:

-Has gotten on the Reinbacher train and has him at 7.
-Has my tall lad DBut at 8.
-Has Benson all the way down at 13, which given Pronman's history of liking small/skatie/skill guys is rather a surprise.
-Has Simashev at 17.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
My image is also a good illustration of why I think the depth of this draft is overrated. Good prospect in the late teens and 20s for sure, but no one that I’m as excited about as even last year (lambert falling, bischel, snuggerud)
Last year had incredible depth.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If we are at #10 (that's as high as we can theoretically pick, unless lottery miracle) and Benson is still on the board how can you not pick him.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
-I've got a strong top-10 in this draft, with Reinbacher now at 8. I've got Yager and Danielson at 9 or 10, but they could/should be available in the 11-15 range (where I think we will pick), so would be really happy with either of them.

Here's my top-15.

Bedard
Fantilli
Carlsson
Michkov
Smith
Benson
Sale
Reinbacher
Yager
Danielson
(gap here, I think top-10 are all can't miss 1st line/1st pair guys)
Dvorsky
Wood
Dragicevic
Moore
Leonard

If we miss the playoffs, we're going to get one of the above.

Simashev is somewhere in my next tier, I don't really have them ranked but it's something like

Barlow
Heidt
Simashev
Cristall
Musty
Ritchie

After Ritchie, it's a jumble. Top 1-10, slam dunks. 11-21, high ceilings with some red flags and uncertainty, basically.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If we are at #10 (that's as high as we can theoretically pick, unless lottery miracle) and Benson is still on the board how can you not pick him.
At this point I'm eyeing up the #10 spot more than playoffs, but I doubt Benson drops that far. I'm going to hold out hope for Reinbacher though. If he's available at whatever spot Buffalo drafts, I'm assuming he's both BPA and top position of need...win-win.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I don’t get the Dragicevic hate. If Reinbacher is gone in the top 10 Drago will be gone within the next 5-8 picks. He’s a record setting RHD with size and snarl and they myths of him playing bad in his own end are drastically overblown. He’s got top pairing potential and a #4 floor. He’s exactly what we need.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t get the Dragicevic hate. If Reinbacher is gone in the top 10 Drago will be gone within the next 5-8 picks. He’s a record setting RHD with size and snarl and they myths of him playing bad in his own end are drastically overblown. He’s got top pairing potential and a #4 floor. He’s exactly what we need.

Hate where? Here in this thread? Or in general?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hate where? Here in this thread? Or in general?
He's had a healthy amount of disdain from the nhl prospects forum.

Here, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad