2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I have no idea who will be there with how so much of the reporting on it is wide open from 6-ish to 25-ish. I like Barlow. I like Ryan Leonard too but like most years, guys I start liking tend to go up. And Reinbacher though I don't think he's there at 17. I could maybe see Simashev which I'm sure would make many melt down since he is a rangy, tall, defense-first blueliner who isn't throwing up massive offensive numbers. We know how defensive defensemen tend to get a kneejerk reaction on draft day. :laugh:

Is that kinda the "2nd tier" Some places could have someone going 7th overall, and another article having that same player going 24th, and vise versa?

I wonder what KA and folks think here on offense Vs. D. It's always tempting to take a scorer in the top 16 or so. If so, I'd probly want to go D heavy on all of the 2nd rounders that we end up drafting
(***Assuming there's a fit with value and who's on the board***)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is that kinda the "2nd tier" Some places could have someone going 7th overall, and another article having that same player going 24th, and vise versa?

I wonder what KA and folks think here on offense Vs. D. It's always tempting to take a scorer in the top 16 or so. If so, I'd probly want to go D heavy on all of the 2nd rounders that we end up drafting
(***Assuming there's a fit with value and who's on the board***)

I'd put it as a third tier -- Bedard is in a tier of his own, then Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, and Benson are the next 4. Then you get into 6-whatever and there are some very differing opinions. Cristall comes up as maybe a 6/7 on some guys lists, and end of the round on others. Defense in the first round appears to be very, very thin.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, they need to work to round out the prospect pipeline, IMO.
They've stated their philosophy is best player available and they haven't given any reason to think they'll stray from that. I think they'll take whoever they like best and there's more than a decent chance it'll be another smallish forward because there's a lot of those.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
1st round, Reinbacher if things go to shit (7th to 10th overall), Simashev if we are 16th-21st (which seems unlikely now). 11th to 15th...I guess Dvorsky or Wood would be likely targets.

2nd round, Lind/Strbak/Lindstein would be a nice trio with the three picks. Not sure what to make of Stramel or Halttunen, but if one of them is there with the Vegas pick,a big-bodied forward in the system would be nice.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
We could get Zach Benson if this team falls off a cliff and we get to 6-7 😍

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
1st round, Reinbacher if things go to shit (7th to 10th overall), Simashev if we are 16th-21st (which seems unlikely now). 11th to 15th...I guess Dvorsky or Wood would be likely targets.

2nd round, Lind/Strbak/Lindstein would be a nice trio with the three picks. Not sure what to make of Stramel or Halttunen, but if one of them is there with the Vegas pick,a big-bodied forward in the system would be nice.
Why not Sandin Palikka? Not what this team needs but seems to be the best in the draft. Unfortunately there is no big bruising defenseman in the top 15. I like Reinbacher too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why not Sandin Palikka? Not what this team needs but seems to be the best in the draft. Unfortunately there is no big bruising defenseman in the top 15. I like Reinbacher too.

Not necessarily the best in the draft. He's a small puck transitioning player - think Brandon Montour - where the events are high at both ends of the ice when he is out there.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Not necessarily the best in the draft. He's a small puck transitioning player - think Brandon Montour - where the events are high at both ends of the ice when he is out there.
I guess I should have said top ranked.

We need someone like Samuelson but offensively talented.

Unfortunately that doesn't exist in the first round.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I guess I should have said top ranked.

We need someone like Samuelson but offensively talented.

Unfortunately that doesn't exist in the first round.

I wouldn't worry too much about pigeon holing too much at this point with this draft. Through the mid-point, it's shown to be relatively weak at the top end for defensemen and those that are there are not many nor complete.

I've been on the Simashev fan club for some time as someone toward the late teens who has a lot of qualities I like in defensemen because I've watched him (MHL games are available on YouTube) and I like what he does. Sandin-Pellikka down the line could be very good. Reinbacher does some things I like a lot too but I don't think he lasts to the Sabres pick nor that they would value him to that degree with what their habits have been in drafts under Adams thus far.

Similarly, they need to inject some size be it a length or thickness into their prospect pool at every position. But again... I'm not expecting it.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I‘m worried about this draft. They have so many similar pieces already and this draft shakes out to just adding more of them if they stick to their bpa analytics based draft profiles. Which would be fine…if they would make trades…but they don’t.

Im stuck with either more redundant assets we won’t move or reaching and just blowing the draft

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I'd put it as a third tier -- Bedard is in a tier of his own, then Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, and Benson are the next 4. Then you get into 6-whatever and there are some very differing opinions. Cristall comes up as maybe a 6/7 on some guys lists, and end of the round on others. Defense in the first round appears to be very, very thin.
This is a reality that continues to drive me to trading our picks. If this was a loaded defenseman draft then I could understand holding some of these 4 top 60 picks we have, but this draft vs our need is a big mismatch. Trading some of these picks to get a long term good yound dman only makes MORE sense given this draft. Not to mention the 4-6 years to develop a dman to the NHL.

Reactions: Chainshot

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Interesting comment here about the draft that @Doug Prishpreed posted in another thread

In Armstrong’s Merek interview, he said he sees a huge drop off at pick 16 (or close, I forget the exact number) and Ottawa’s first had an almost-certainty of being in that range. He specifically says that was the main attraction of their offer that no one else could beat.

Since Buffalo’s pick had a probability of being outside that range, he couldn’t risk it and seems to have insisted on one of last year’s firsts from us instead of this year’s.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Interesting comment here about the draft that @Doug Prishpreed posted in another thread
I was probably misleading - he was talking about drafts in general, not this particular draft.

Individual teams I'm sure have their mid-season lists stratifying into specific clusters. They must view the drop there. I've mentioned the third group seems to go 6-20 for me.
He was talking generalities. Reading between the lines, the difference between the Ottawa pick and Buffalo pick is not negligible to him since the cutoff tends to be right around where buffalo will pick.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Started watching some highlights to get familiar with the draft class. Reinbacher is the way. I see some Seider in his place. He just seems like such a heavy player. Would look awesome with our d core.

Wonder if the plan might be to trade up our 1st with our 2nds?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Is that taking a RD just to take a RD?
I’m not sure.

I watch the tape, I see why he’s very projectable to the nhl. Very strong offensive skill. Not particularly fast or smooth skater, which will be the knock.

Some Tyson Barrie / Evan Bouchard comps.

This pick could also be when I get to 15, usually the guys I like (Barlow, yager) are long gone, and it’s drago vs cristall, who I have an equal number of questions about, and he’s a small skill slow lw. Not what we need.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
@Chainshot

Step right up and make your pick (the right is what remains of Bob Mac's mid top 35, for a reference)

1678033495674.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad