2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Caught part of another UCONN game this week and am wondering has anyone spent time on Matthew Wood? I'm curious why he's way down in the later part of the 1st round when he's 6'3" and scores at a high level. Geekie's sort of similar from last year - skating isn't great, but physical chassis to get inside and finish is certainly there.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'd rather they not have all three 2nds on draft day, even with this being a supposed good draft year. They are at the point that they don't have a finite amount of development spots for players and the bottleneck could mean that they don't develop the best for some of these guys. It's time to look at plugging the missing pieces at the NHL level as well as continuing to stock via the draft.

I would like to package some combination of the 1st + 2nds and/or Rosen to move up to get one of the top RHD (Reinbacher or Sandin-Pellikka), depending how the draft board unfolds.

And then I’d like to get one goalie and some character type bottom 6 guys with the remaining 2nds — barring any trades for existing NHL players and if we retain all of those picks, of course.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I'd rather they not have all three 2nds on draft day, even with this being a supposed good draft year. They are at the point that they don't have a finite amount of development spots for players and the bottleneck could mean that they don't develop the best for some of these guys. It's time to look at plugging the missing pieces at the NHL level as well as continuing to stock via the draft.
I get what you are saying but we have a glut of small skilled forwards already so if the right type of player is available we should use our picks and trade the excess forward[s} when we know what we have? Or take a chance on a player we like but will not be available for a few years due to existing contract/nationality? For example I have liked Nick Lardis-good skater, smart, great wrister, non stop motor--but slight. We have a few like him. If he is next up for us in second round then yes trade/package/defer....

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I get what you are saying but we have a glut of small skilled forwards already so if the right type of player is available we should use our picks and trade the excess forward[s} when we know what we have? Or take a chance on a player we like but will not be available for a few years due to existing contract/nationality? For example I have liked Nick Lardis-good skater, smart, great wrister, non stop motor--but slight. We have a few like him. If he is next up for us in second round then yes trade/package/defer....

I think they can sprinkle in a different timber of player - be it skill forward with size or on the blueline - with whichever of the four picks they retain. But their best ammunition to find a contracted player to fill holes they can not fill internally is using some of those picks.

At the moment it appears like a weaker year for defensemen but someone like Bertucci is intriguing to me. I have a crush on Simashev as well, I admit. I see a guy who is well-positioned, does the right thing with his stick, has agility at his size and has a projectable frame.

I like Reinbacher from watching some of Kloten but with his bundle of skills and being a RHD, I can see him going closer to 10 than the mid-teens right now.

@Doug Prishpreed had a really solid comp to Sandin Pellikka - Montour. He's a high-event puck transporter and the events are on both sides of the ledger.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Question, If KA keeps his three 2nds, how far could they move you up in the 1st ?

I really like Benson, but I see he is likely 4-7 now.

Just reading here about the Dmen prospects and none of them got me too excited.
Neither Josi nor Fox were very exciting in their draft years either. Most of the best defenseman don't emerge when they're that young. Makar and Dahlin are more exceptions than the rule.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I will always be team more kicks at the can.

I will not be a fan of moving up using those 3 2nds.

I think it's more just an exercise/hypothetical.

What does Philly, Vegas, Sabres pick get you to? That's like 41st, 50th, and 57th overall? Give or take.

My guess would be adding the 50th to 41st gets you up to 30th. Adding the 57th to the 30th pick can get you to 25th. Total shot in the dark though.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think it's more just an exercise/hypothetical.

What does Philly, Vegas, Sabres pick get you to? That's like 41st, 50th, and 57th overall? Give or take.

My guess would be adding the 50th to 41st gets you up to 30th. Adding the 57th to the 30th pick can get you to 25th. Total shot in the dark though.
I would rather have those three picks than that one pick.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we have this pick, and don't go D, the forward I most like in our range is Colby Barlow.

I have no idea who will be there with how so much of the reporting on it is wide open from 6-ish to 25-ish. I like Barlow. I like Ryan Leonard too but like most years, guys I start liking tend to go up. And Reinbacher though I don't think he's there at 17. I could maybe see Simashev which I'm sure would make many melt down since he is a rangy, tall, defense-first blueliner who isn't throwing up massive offensive numbers. We know how defensive defensemen tend to get a kneejerk reaction on draft day. :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reinbacher having a rough period. Both times Lugano attacked him and made a play toward the goal to score.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Start zeroing on Danielson as a KA pick as he just fits the mold. Another would be Honzek as he offers big time upside as he just had a growth spurt so getting used to new size and needing muscle

I originally had him (Honzek) as an option with one of our 2nds. I see Servac Petrovsky when I see him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The ranking

As always, I’ve broken down the full ranking into tiers to give you a better sense for the fluidity within groupings and the drop-offs between them. The midseason ranking divides into six tiers. They are: 1, 2-4, 5-6, 7-22, 23-33, 34-64+. You can also find an additional 32 honourable mentions below.

Wheeler's 2023 NHL Draft Ranking (March)
RANK
PLAYER
POS.
NATL.
TEAM
LEAGUE
CHANGE
1Connor BedardCCANReginaWHL-
2Adam FantilliCCANU. of MichiganNCAA-
3Matvei MichkovRW/LWRUSSochiKHL-
4Leo CarlssonC/LWSWEÖrebroSHL-
5Will SmithCUSAU18NTDPUp 5