2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My image is also a good illustration of why I think the depth of this draft is overrated. Good prospect in the late teens and 20s for sure, but no one that I’m as excited about as even last year (lambert falling, bischel, snuggerud)

Yep, the 6-20 group for me is fairly even. I would even possibly put Oliver Moore into that pick even if he's more (no pun intended) of what they have - good skating utility tool forward. Loved him in my early Program views, haven't seen him in a couple of months because I have put my focus elsewhere.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Im at Drago > Hiedt > Cristall > Ritchie

I could also go in for a very non-Sabre pick in Matthew Wood if whoever I consult about his skating thinks they can figure that out. 17-year olds who don't skate well shouldn't be putting up goals and points on D1 competition if he didn't have some quality abilities.

Again, there isn't a lot to separate a lot of these guys for me. And I admit that this year, in a draft without much of either, I tend to be looking more at size and at defensemen. The field is a bit barren.

Also, for a later pick (the Sabres pick in the 2nd round), I'm interested in Bertucci from Flint in the OHL. I've watched a few of his games and just have a feeling that he gets it.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I could also go in for a very non-Sabre pick in Matthew Wood if whoever I consult about his skating thinks they can figure that out. 17-year olds who don't skate well shouldn't be putting up goals and points on D1 competition if he didn't have some quality abilities.

Again, there isn't a lot to separate a lot of these guys for me. And I admit that this year, in a draft without much of either, I tend to be looking more at size and at defensemen. The field is a bit barren.

Also, for a later pick (the Sabres pick in the 2nd round), I'm interested in Bertucci from Flint in the OHL. I've watched a few of his games and just have a feeling that he gets it.
Wood was one of the first guys I really looked at when it became clear were picking 12-17.

He remains me so much of Brett Murray, and not in a good way.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wood was one of the first guys I really looked at when it became clear were picking 12-17.

He remains me so much of Brett Murray, and not in a good way.

Having watched a bit of Mur in his D+1 season at PSU before he went back to the USHL, Wood is well advanced from him even now with the difference in comparative ages. There is a lot more there. However, there is very much the issue of how much can they get out of his skating to make it possible to use what he does in a roll that could translate to the NHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would still tend toward guys who aren't in need of that much work on their skating. Smart, quick players with a high motor are definitely on my list.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Having watched a bit of Mur in his D+1 season at PSU before he went back to the USHL, Wood is well advanced from him even now with the difference in comparative ages. There is a lot more there. However, there is very much the issue of how much can they get out of his skating to make it possible to use what he does in a roll that could translate to the NHL.
Skating issues and a big man who doesn't always use his size stood out a lot.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With whoever they take in the first round still likely being 2-3 years out, I wouldn't worry too much about someone to fit a particular player profile from the past.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good size, mature 200' game, translatable offensive skills, bit of nastiness. Basically I see a more mature version of WHL Krebs, maybe a tad less offensive creativity but more defensive awareness. He'd get a lot more hype if you didn't have guys going nuclear with their WHL seasons

Heidt's another WHLer with great feet who fits with some of the folks they've taken in the past. Stenberg is a poster child for their recent drafts - Swedish, C/W, built like a pipecleaner, good feet and thinks a good game. Moore and Leonard, Yager... a bunch.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Heidt's another WHLer with great feet who fits with some of the folks they've taken in the past. Stenberg is a poster child for their recent drafts - Swedish, C/W, built like a pipecleaner, good feet and thinks a good game. Moore and Leonard, Yager... a bunch.
I'm calling it now.

If he's around at PHI's 2nd, and I believe he will be, the pick will be Noah Dower Nilsson.

Fast. Slight. Skilled. Good stats. Swedish. From Frolunda.

It's like an automatic.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
I have a feeling the Sabres will focus on power forwards, or at least wingers with the size and potential to play a power game at the pro level. Bloom was the only forward in the system that fit that mold and with him being moved, it's become a need. Quentin Musty is an obvious choice here (outside of the local ties) as he is tools and skillset of a power forward, but he doesn't show it every game. He needs a lot maturing. Matthew Wood is another guy with tantalizing size and skills. Powerful isn't the way I would describe him currently, but I have seen him use his size to his advantage on occasion and as he matures you have to wonder how his game will evolve in 4 years or so.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have a feeling the Sabres will focus on power forwards, or at least wingers with the size and potential to play a power game at the pro level. Bloom was the only forward in the system that fit that mold and with him being moved, it's become a need. Quentin Musty is an obvious choice here (outside of the local ties) as he is tools and skillset of a power forward, but he doesn't show it every game. He needs a lot maturing. Matthew Wood is another guy with tantalizing size and skills. Powerful isn't the way I would describe him currently, but I have seen him use his size to his advantage on occasion and as he matures you have to wonder how his game will evolve in 4 years or so.

I wish this draft had some more size/physical play in how it shakes out in the top at least. It would make it easier for an amateur like me to find. :biglaugh:

Leonard has some dog in his game. He remains my favorite in the possible third tier. I fully expect him to go before Buffalo every comes close to drafting him.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Musty is far from a power forward type, he needs a kick in the ass to turn up his motivation. Ritchie plays with much more grit
My biggest gripe with Musty is that he doesn't seem motivated most games, but when he's dialed in and engaged, his game is power forward-esque. The traits are there and I'd hedge a bet that's what he'll become with maturity and proper development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad