2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't see that sort of finish.

I saw you asking about him in the draft board thread, did you get more info? I haven't noticed him in the Frolunda games I've been able to look in on - I think he had like 2 minutes in TOI in one early in December when I looked at the post-game stats but I don't honestly remember him. Not an indictment and certainly not an endorsement of my evaluations either. :laugh:

I hope they don't continue with the smallish, crafty guys though. At some point, they are going to need some additional large bodies in the lineup who initiate contact. But he does fit their "type", body-wise and scouting report-wise.

Tenacious complimentary winger with a will to win is sort of what I see. Not that he isn't a high skill guy in his own right, but he's dogged as well as fast.
Multi-positional Swedish kid who doesn’t get many minutes, and who no one seems to be able to get many viewing on? Might as well just send him a Sabres sweater now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Brock with Musty at 2 in his OHL list but talk about damning with faint praise:

2. Quentin Musty - Wing - Sudbury Wolves
Just when you think you've got Musty figured out, it seems like a poor performance throws a wrinkle in that. My live viewings of him this year have been poor. While my video viewings of him have been terrific. I was really starting to grow to like him but then I saw him play in Hamilton recently and he had a very poor game. Now...granted he played through a hand injury in that game (which has kept him out of action since), so it's probably measured with a grain of salt. Point being, he's a tough player to form a steady opinion on. There's so much good...especially under new coach Derek MacKenzie. He is highly skilled. He shows well as both a scorer and playmaker. His decision making with the puck has slowly started improving; his turnovers are being limited. He is playing with more physical tenacity and finding his way to the middle of the ice more consistently. His upside is, without question, the highest of any OHL player eligible this year. Yet...I'm just not sure an NHL scout will be willing to risk their neck for him as a first rounder. His defensive game is nearly non existent. He is often the last player back to the defensive zone and the first to exit. His first step quickness is not terrific. His ability to utilize his shot and get himself in scoring position remains a work in progress. And, while it has shown progress, his puck management remains a development target. I had a scout ask me the other day about what Musty can do to shake his reputation as a "risky selection" (we actually answered this on the THN podcast). It's a great question. The answer is probably continue to show the positive growth that he has the last month or two. When he returns from his injury, hopefully he can continue to show progress. If he's able to improve on the above areas, the upside truly is that of a first line player.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Brock with Musty at 2 in his OHL list but talk about damning with faint praise:

I will be split on the pick if the Sabres take Musty in the first round.

On one hand, I will like that they take a local kid with a ton of offensive talent. On the other hand, I will likely wish they had taken a D over another winger when their prospect pipeline is already oozing with wing prospects.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I will be split on the pick if the Sabres take Musty in the first round.

On one hand, I will like that they take a local kid with a ton of offensive talent. On the other hand, I will likely wish they had taken a D over another winger when their prospect pipeline is already oozing with wing prospects.

He's so all over the board I could see him being around into the 2nd round as of today. He might finish strong and have a playoff to move himself up, but right now, there are plenty of other players I'd rather have.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

'It's Bedard at No. 1 and a wide chasm to everyone else'

Bob's mid-term rankings are out.

Here’s a review of TSN’s Top 10 Mid-Season Draft Rankings, beyond Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Michkov:

1. Connor Bedard. He isn’t as strikingly fast as Connor McDavid, he’s not as big and strong as Auston Matthews, he’s not as complete as Sidney Crosby, he doesn’t have the wingspan of Mario Lemieux, but his otherworldly release and shot combined with sublime vision and playmaking ability, plus the innate ability to rise to the occasion with moments of greatness on the biggest stage and somehow exceed excessive expectations has established him as “special,” a unique talent who has it, whatever it is.

2. Adam Fantilli. At 6-foot-2 and close to 200 pounds, the University of Michigan freshman centre from the Greater Toronto Area has elite size, strength and is an incredible skater, one of the very best in the draft. He’s a shoot-first goal-scoring pivot with some bite and projects as a potential lower-case No. 1 or upper-case No. 2 NHL centre.

3. Leo Carlsson. The Swedish centre, who can also play on the wing, is a smooth-skating, smart and skilled dual threat to score and make plays. His 6-foot-3, almost 200-pound frame provides a power element to his slick offensive game and he, too, like Fantilli, is projected as a 1B or 2A NHL centre.

4, Matvei Michkov. At 5-10 and 172 pounds, the Russian left-shot right winger may be the truest comparable to Bedard in this draft, an elite goal-scorer and gifted offensive talent who projects as a dynamic top-line NHL winger.

5. Zach Benson. The 5-foot-9, 160-pound Winnipeg Ice left winger has elite hockey sense, skill and drive that allow him to make plays and score goals in high-traffic areas. His multi-faceted toolbox overshadows any question about his size, or lack thereof. He projects as a 1B or 2A NHL winger.

6. Will Smith. The U.S. National Development Team U-18 centre is a shade under 6 feet tall but many scouts identify him as having the highest hockey IQ in the entire draft. He uses a vast array of offensive skills to drive a line alongside fellow first-round prospects Ryan Leonard and Gabe Perreault (son of former NHLer Yanic Perreault). Scouts say the trio, led by Smith, is the most dominant line in all of junior-age hockey.

7. Brayden Yager. The Moose Jaw Warrior heady sub 6-footer is arguably the most proficient two-way centre in the draft. He generates notable offence, especially on the power play, but plays a committed and mature defensive game and can also kill penalties. Scouts are not saying he’s Patrice Bergeron 2.0 but they are saying he approaches the game with the same mindset as the NHL’s premier two-way centre.

8. Colby Barlow. The Owen Sound Attack captain has a big-time shot and effectively uses his sturdy frame in the corners, on the wall and in front of the net to play a prototypical pro goal-scoring winger game. He has great leadership and intangibles, but also happens to be one of the draft’s better goal scorers.

9. Dalibor Dvorsky. The 6-foot-1 Slovak centre who plays in Sweden is a physically strong and capable, heady two-way centre who is not without good offensive instincts. But scouts are trying to discern if he has the higher-end skills to put up bigger offensive numbers. Those scouts who believe he has a higher offensive ceiling than he’s shown are more likely to rate him closer to five than 10.

10. Ryan Leonard. The sturdy 190-pound right winger can play physically and do the required heavy lifting on a top offensive line, but his skill – especially his shot – is high end. He is projected as a top-six NHL winger.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Of all the guys at the top this year, I'm most critical of Benson. Maybe because I've watched him so much watching Savoie

And that's something that happens - think about how higher ranked guys get a bit of sour in the scouting observations later in their draft years. I'm probably harshest on Fantilli with around half a dozen viewings in Michigan and being left wanting more and I'm trying to avoid that. :biglaugh:

It's also funny that after so much time trying to advocate for smaller guys to get some love, to get recognition for their skill play and ability... I'm looking at guys under 6' and wondering how many of them is too many of them. :laugh:

Reactions: rylt

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
And that's something that happens - think about how higher ranked guys get a bit of sour in the scouting observations later in their draft years. I'm probably harshest on Fantilli with around half a dozen viewings in Michigan and being left wanting more and I'm trying to avoid that. :biglaugh:

It's also funny that after so much time trying to advocate for smaller guys to get some love, to get recognition for their skill play and ability... I'm looking at guys under 6' and wondering how many of them is too many of them. :laugh:
I need someone who's pro-Benson to explain top 5-7 pick for me.

9-16? Sure. Top 5? I don't like the skating enough.

Then again, I've been pumping Yager hard, and he's had a rough January...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I need someone who's pro-Benson to explain top 5-7 pick for me.

9-16? Sure. Top 5? I don't like the skating enough.

Then again, I've been pumping Yager hard, and he's had a rough January...

Benson is a combo of brains and high work ethic. I've read some of the stuff on him from those who get paid for it that his explosiveness can be improved which is sort of the skill holding him back. That may be what Bob's sampled scouts are thinking to have him that high.

My amusement with the rankings is that the guys I would like to see in what looks like Buffalo's range (12-17) are moving up because that's almost always what happens when I like a player. Will they stay there for the draft? Eh, who knows. I was just finding humor in my own mild aggravation at it. :D

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Benson is a combo of brains and high work ethic. I've read some of the stuff on him from those who get paid for it that his explosiveness can be improved which is sort of the skill holding him back. That may be what Bob's sampled scouts are thinking to have him that high.

My amusement with the rankings is that the guys I would like to see in what looks like Buffalo's range (12-17) are moving up because that's almost always what happens when I like a player. Will they stay there for the draft? Eh, who knows. I was just finding humor in my own mild aggravation at it. :D
His skating issues are easy to see on a line next to Savoie, who's faster and quite smooth.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His skating issues are easy to see on a line next to Savoie, who's faster and quite smooth.

And while he is slower than Savoie, his ability to win pucks and be where the play will wind up, then do the right thing with the puck in that moment is top notch.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
And while he is slower than Savoie, his ability to win pucks and be where the play will wind up, then do the right thing with the puck in that moment is top notch.
I'd take the big 4* (get back to me in june on michkov; that russia stuff is scary) over him, will smith for sure, and yager and barlow.

Edit: Forgot barlow.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At least Reinbacher is at 20 so far. (note the use of "so far".....I doubt he stays down there in the lead-up)

I've watched three Kloten games, two he played in (because I missed him going to the U20's by a day) and he seems like a serviceable enough defensive defenseman right now. I don't see the brain of Nemec or the physical tools of Jiricek thus far.

Also, unrelated to that, but the CHL Top Prospects Game is this week and this blipped into my feed:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I've watched three Kloten games, two he played in (because I missed him going to the U20's by a day) and he seems like a serviceable enough defensive defenseman right now. I don't see the brain of Nemec or the physical tools of Jiricek thus far.

Also, unrelated to that, but the CHL Top Prospects Game is this week and this blipped into my feed:

He’s gonna be a big riser. f***ing London always manages to find players.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hockey Prospects also put out their Top 32 today. I'd provide a link if I knew how.

HockeyProspect.com 2023 NHL Draft Top 32 – January, 23, 2023​

RANKLASTFIRSTTEAMLEAGUEPOSHEIGHTWEIGHT
1BedardConnorReginaWHLRC5'10"185
2CarlssonLeoOrebroSHLLW6'03"198
3MichkovMatveiHK SochiKHLRW5'10"172
4FantilliAdamMichiganNCAALC6'02"195
5BensonZachWinnipegWHLLW5'09"160
6SmithWillUSNTDP U18NTDPRC6'00"181
7SimashevDmitriLoko YaroslavlMHLLD6'04"198
8HonzekSamuelVancouverWHLLC/LW6'03"181
9ButDaniilLokomotiv YaroslavlKHLRW6'05"203
10RykovAlexanderChelmet ChelyabinskVHLLW6'00"176
11DvorskyDaliborAIKHockeyAllsvenskanLC6'01"201
12CristallAndrewKelownaWHLLW5'10"167
13BarlowColbyOwen SoundOHLLW6'00"193
14HrabalMichaelOmahaUSHLG6'06"209
15LeonardRyanUSNTDP U18NTDPRW6'00"192
16PerreaultGabrielUSNTDP U18NTDPLW5'11"165
17YagerBraydenMoose JawWHLRC5'10"166
18MooreOliverUSNTDP U18NTDPLC/LW5'11"188
19ReinbacherDavidKlotenNLRD6'02"185
20Sandin PellikkaAxelSkelleftea AIKSHLRD5'11"176
21BjarnasonCarsonBrandonWHLG6'03"186
22ZiemmerKoehnPrince GeorgeWHLRW6'00"204
23SaleEduardHC Kometa BrnoCZELW6'02"174
24GajanAdamGreen BayUSHLG6'02"167
25NadeauBradlyPentictonBCHLRW5'10"161
26DanielsonNateBrandonWHLC/RW6'01"185
27MustyQuentinSudburyOHLLW6'02"200
28BonkOliverLondonOHLRD6'02"174
29PerronJaydenChicagoUSHLRW5'09"163
30Dower-NilssonNoahFrolunda J20J20 NationellLW6'00"174
31RitchieCalumOshawaOHLRC6'02"187
32ClaraDamianFarjestad BK J20J20 NationellG6'06'214

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Having an afternoon coffee and kicked the Orebro-Frolunda game on and it's wild to see Joel Lundkvist still rolling along.

I was trying to get some club time watching Carlsson again and lo-and-behold... Stenberg scored.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
:laugh: You know what I mean.

E7B2B976-394F-4731-8147-DBD3457D4EFC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events