2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Don't often discuss late round picks here, but Djibril Toure is a very interesting overager. Right shot d, 6'7". Still needs to fill out. Plays on Musty's Sudbury Wolves.

I'm also very much on the Tomas Suchanek wagon. Sabres are well aware of him. Great WJCs.

Milton Oscarson is another overager I liked last year. Made the Swedes WJC.

Bronson Ride of the Windsor Spitfires is a 6’7 LHD that’s available to draft this year, and he’s only 17.

He’s also like 260 pounds right now, despite what his EP page says

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Having an afternoon coffee and kicked the Orebro-Frolunda game on and it's wild to see Joel Lundkvist still rolling along.

I was trying to get some club time watching Carlsson again and lo-and-behold... Stenberg scored.

Here's another from last week...starting to get some mojo going in his 4:00 minutes per game.

Again, I'm not even questioning whether we're going to select him. It's already happened as far as I'm concerned -- that's how confident I am.

Although if we make the playoffs, I don't expect him to be available.

Reactions: Chainshot

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Looking specifically at what's missing from the Sabres prospect stable beyond just the positional deficit on defense, their current crop of prospects is shy on size and contact among all of 'em.
Depending on whether they miss the playoffs, Calum Ritchie might be in their wheelhouse. His game has picked up since the New Year and he has a decidedly nasty side to him

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think you can already pencil us in for a pick somewhere between 14-18. The chances of being outside of that range seem really small at this point.
Based on Bob's latest ranking, here's the likeliest candidates at the moment -- someone w good size should be available:

1675113817723.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Based on Bob's latest ranking, here's the likeliest candidates at the moment -- someone w good size should be available:

View attachment 643952

Daniil But might be on the rise among the forwards. Simashev too defensively, but his offensive totals don't speak to a guy who has pushed his puck skills into the forefront yet.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Daniil But might be on the rise among the forwards. Simashev too defensively, but his offensive totals don't speak to a guy who has pushed his puck skills into the forefront yet.
If he can improve his skating, especially his explosiveness, he's going to be a beast. Not sure how much room for improvement is even possible tho. Also, I do wonder if we're even interested in having that style of player on this team. So far their draft picks kinda make me think otherwise, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Interesting -- I never really get a chance to see the kids who are playing in Russia, I'll have to do some research on them this week. Certainly love the size.

On the other side, a lot of people have Sandin-Pellikka falling on their lists, and I wonder if actual NHL scouts have him falling too. Some say Dvorsky is falling after the tournament, though I don't think he'd ever fall enough to factor in for Buffalo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If he can improve his skating, especially his explosiveness, he's going to be a beast. Not sure how much room for improvement is even possible tho. Also, I do wonder if we're even interested in having that style of player on this team. So far their draft picks kinda make me think otherwise, unfortunately.

But or Simashev? I think But might be in line with Buffalo's offensive mindset but he has work to do. Nadeau wasn't the best skater coming out his draft year and offers an offensive game, albeit a different style. Just riffing on bigger dudes who might be in the teens and later. But yeah, there is need to improve in a lot of areas.

Simashev, I feel like seeing him whole would involve looking at some of his MHL year last year rather than limited KHL minutes alone. Figured I would throw him out there too since he's a big cuss and plays a solid defensive game already against men in the KHL.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
But or Simashev? I think But might be in line with Buffalo's offensive mindset but he has work to do. Nadeau wasn't the best skater coming out his draft year and offers an offensive game, albeit a different style. Just riffing on bigger dudes who might be in the teens and later. But yeah, there is need to improve in a lot of areas.

Simashev, I feel like seeing him whole would involve looking at some of his MHL year last year rather than limited KHL minutes alone. Figured I would throw him out there too since he's a big cuss and plays a solid defensive game already against men in the KHL.
I was referring to But... I haven't seen Simashev at all yet, unfortunately. Will have to try and see if I can find some of his old MHL games and see what his play is like.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How many of them play like they have good size? It's not enough to get someone big, we need someone who's big and is willing to throw that weight around a bit. (And also not be a black hole of a player).

I would love both but if there is both, that is going to be one of those sought after unicorns for everyone. Fantilli plays some power game but he's going to be long gone.

Leonard reminds me of the Looney Toons Tasmanian Devil but he's only 6' and around 190 lbs. Barlow has contact to his game but he is more of a shooting threat than a power threat. He's similar to Leonard in terms of size. Style is a fit in a way (though perhaps not what the team has shown under Adams in terms of "type" but yes in terms of what I'd like them to add), but they aren't that large.

But is 6'4" and a project type where a power game is a bit more of a wish than a reality.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
McKeens also has their mid-season rankings out:

Some proof that But and Simashev are moving up. Kinda wish Simashev was a right shot but not gonna get hung up on that. The more I learn about him, the more I like this choice for Buffalo...if he doesn't rise too much.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some proof that But and Simashev are moving up. Kinda wish Simashev was a right shot but not gonna get hung up on that. The more I learn about him, the more I like this choice for Buffalo...if he doesn't rise too much.

Good finds.

As still a newb to MHL action, I am still trying to figure out why Yaroslavl has two MHL teams and it seems they share players. When they are both on the '76 version, it might make viewing easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad