2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

"He has a ton of offensive potential, with the playmaking vision to be a legit powerplay quarterback type of guy with a clear path to being a top-four offensive defenseman in the NHL. The biggest question is how good his defending will be in the NHL and if his offense will be dynamic enough to offset his lack of a physical defensive game."

Perfect fit...

Good info but if KA actually selects a player like that I would be pretty disappointed. BPA only matters if you can use that player or trade him for equal/better value.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If you ignore the top 4, is this pretty much an average draft class? I'm not seeing anything to get super excited about compared to other years as far as depth goes.

Some say this is really deep draft, some say it sucks outside of the top 10. I see a pretty average draft with 4 superstars at the top. At least so far.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
If you ignore the top 4, is this pretty much an average draft class? I'm not seeing anything to get super excited about compared to other years as far as depth goes.

Some say this is really deep draft, some say it sucks outside of the top 10. I see a pretty average draft with 4 superstars at the top. At least so far.
1 superstars/elite; 3 top line talents; 12 top6/top4

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not sure what you're saying -- does that indicate a draft with good depth, bad depth, or average?

Probably good depth. There are more guys who fall into the star/foundational piece than the last few years and then there is a fairly large pocket of high ceiling guys going to about the middle of the first round. I've also read some from scouting groups that the talent also goes into the 2nd round, though that was late summer/early fall evaluation so I'm curious to see if that holds as they have had more views.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks. This makes me hate the Horvat trade even more *insert Two Minutes of Hate* :laugh:

Eh, Reinbacher is an interesting player but whose to say that he goes there? Heck, whose to say he turns out the best of the bunch. And if the board broke the way that mock lists, Sandin Pellikka has a lot to offer. Don't forget, he's a 17-year old when viewing his contributions at the recent U20's, playing stacked teams of guys 2 years his senior. If you go back to the U18's over the summer, he ripped it up against his peer group and we know from recent experience that the Sabres enjoy themselves some draftable Swedes who tear into the U18's.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Eh, Reinbacher is an interesting player but whose to say that he goes there? Heck, whose to say he turns out the best of the bunch. And if the board broke the way that mock lists, Sandin Pellikka has a lot to offer. Don't forget, he's a 17-year old when viewing his contributions at the recent U20's, playing stacked teams of guys 2 years his senior. If you go back to the U18's over the summer, he ripped it up against his peer group and we know from recent experience that the Sabres enjoy themselves some draftable Swedes who tear into the U18's.
I mentioned in the other thread, he has Montour vibes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
(The annual reminder of don't get attached to a particular player, try to look at them in clusters for what they have to offer rather than just zeroing in on a specific guy.)

I mentioned in the other thread, he has Montour vibes.

Yeah, that's a solid one as there is skill and perhaps some riverboat gambler to his game which may lead to some high event hockey like Montour provides.

In terms of blueliners, Reinbacher and Sandin Pellikka (I always have to check for L's and K's) and maybe Dragicevic as the higher RHD, with Gulyayev *why y's* and Simashev as the higher LHD in the various rankings. All of them are very different players, so that is going to make for some interesting interplay.

And just for giggles, I am more down on Cam Allen having seen him a few times than I was after his summer tournaments. I don't have the same feel I did say for Ty Nelson who I found entertaining and intriguing at about this time last year and who has continued to be someone I wonder at what he might become. Maybe Allen is just my own bias because of what I saw and I need to take my own damn advice. :biglaugh:

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Likely going well before Buffalo drafts this year -

His skating posture have a little Chris Drury look to it or is it just me? Or JT Compher is also comparable I think.

Also, @Chainshot, Simashev = WANT !! He's going to be so damn good! Praying that hes got Ventura and the analytics guys attention, imo he's a perfect fit for how we play.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If we draft a D and the first positive out of an analysts mouth is powerplay QB I’ll throw a brick through my tv.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I've got Reinbacher in a tier, 22-28 range. If the Sabres pick 16-21, I would be OK if they took him, seems like he would be a better fit for our top 4, already playing in a men's league, and a really high ceiling.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
With the Philly 2nd, Simashev or Lind. If we trade one of the other two 2nds, Whitelaw or Lindstein with the one that's left.

Last edited:

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Reinbacher is pushing top 10, most likely the 1st Defenseman picked. Simashev should be right up there with him but could maybe fall to the mid 20's, but only due to the Rus b/s.
An early 2nd round target I really like is RHD Beau Akey.
To tired to articulate my thoughts to words, might attempt tomorrow 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If the draft were today, I don't think Simashev lasts until the Flyer pick.
Based on what I've seen (admittedly not a significant amount), I don't know how that kid isn't consensus top 15 yet.

So far it seems like we have a choice between a Montour (Sandin), a Shea Theodore (DR), or a mix of Power/Samuelsson (Simashev). I know who I'd pick right now!

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Based on what I've seen (admittedly not a significant amount), I don't know how that kid isn't consensus top 15 yet.

So far it seems like we have a choice between a Montour (Sandin), a Shea Theodore (DR), or a mix of Power/Samuelsson (Simashev). I know who I'd pick right now!

I'm still leaning toward Simashev as a way to have more of a skill set they are lacking but they can probably integrate any of that style of player into their future blueline. I'm not sure why, just how I feel after thin slicing them all. And I realize just how failable my own judgement is. :biglaugh:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm still leaning toward Simashev as a way to have more of a skill set they are lacking but they can probably integrate any of that style of player into their future blueline. I'm not sure why, just how I feel after thin slicing them all. And I realize just how failable my own judgement is. :biglaugh:
Ranking blueliners in the draft from where I sit is a fool's errand, so I try not to get attached like you said. Kinda just started watching the first round-ish defensemen over the break and was somewhat disappointed in the 2023 crop until you pointed me towards Simashev.

Still a lot of hockey to play, but he could continue to climb since he has that thing like Owen Power where he impacts offense a lot but doesn't get the points.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Getting a lot of shifts for a kid in the KHL, 5 shifts in each of the first two periods.

I don't think he's 2nd pairing though, considering he has the lowest TOI out of 7 D.

Curious to see if he's out on the PK coming up - they just took another penalty at the start of the third period and it was to another defenseman (Cherepanov I think).

Edit - nevermind, Amur scores and he was not on the ice.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I guess I am hoping Simashev drops because "Russian" and "lack of points". One can hope. And I hope Reinbacher drops because he probably doesn't project as a traditional 1D who is PP1 and plays 24 mins+ a game. I think if we grab even two of Reinbacher/Simashev/Lind it's a great draft. I get wanting size (Stramel Musty But) but I dont feel great about any of then as 1st round talents. Kinda borderline 1st/2nd to me. I really want to feel good about our first two picks and know they are good fits for the lineup, sure things. I like Dragicevic a lot and have him ranked higher than Reinbacher (Pelikka as well) but Reinbacher is a better fit and has a really good floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad