2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
My dream, it will give me something to do at work
I mean…me too lol. But I like being able to relax and look up every piece of information I can immediately like a crazy person. Gets fun in round 6 when you see guys that don’t exist on the internet. All we could dig up on Olofsson the one year was an incorrect height and weight. Said he was 5’7 or some such. Good times.

Reactions: The Blunder Years

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
i know zero about hockey draft, except drafting for holes instead of clear bpa is Pejorative Slured..

i do know , bills aren't drafting QBs. We have two great ones in Dahlin and understudy that may surpass. in power.. We need 3 Sammy's, not just skill but humble maturity.

We have ton of savvy skilled slot/outside skill receivers/wingers in kulich , savoie and Rosen ostlund and can pick best two and one to develop which makes VO and or the other 4 or 5 in a competition and as bait for D and Goalie .

Who is the not quite developed Quinn of this draft? ( great multi sport athletes)

The hardest thing for a hometown team seems to be, ego. lose yr job , Homer is to risk a top 50 player w a home town bias.. I think a priveledge type Nichols player home town is a pass but if a poor struggling local fighting against the wealthy locals for ice time if equal in skillset now will drive to a higher ceiling..

Eight players from New York State—five from the New York metropolitan area, two from Buffalo and one from the North Country—are among the National Hockey League Central Scouting’s final rankings for the 2023 NHL Draft to be held June 28-29 in Nashville, Tennessee.

Quinton Musty is a 6’2”, 205 lb. left wing from Hamburg, south of Buffalo. He moved down three spots from 11th to 14th among North American skaters and is a projected first round draft pick. Musty finished his second season with Sudbury in the Ontario Hockey League after coming out of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres program. He had 26 goals and 78 points over 53 games. He tied a program record in December with seven points in one game, was named to the OHL’s second all-rookie team in 2021-22, after registering 31 points in 50 games, and donned the sweater of Team United States in the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup last August, leading the squad with five points in four contests.

Akwesasne native Carey Terrance rose to 38th in the final rankings from 50th at midterm. The 6’1” and 174 lb. center had 30 goals and 47 points over 67 games in his second season with the Erie Otters in the OHL.

Fellow western New Yorker Gavin McCarthy (Clarence Center) dropped from 39 to 52. The 6’1”, 181 lb. defenseman with Muskegon in the USHL had 26 points over 40 games. He is committed to Boston University in the fall.

U.S. National Team Development Program defenseman Drew Fortescue of Peral River, a Boston College commit for 2023, is ranked 60th –down two slots from midterm. He is a 6’3”, 170 lb. left-shot defensive defenseman with 23 assists over a combined 50 games of the mixed team schedule between the USHL and against college programs. The Boston College commit also played for the U-18 Team USA squad at the World Juniors.

i think oloffson May have value when hes 30 like skinner as he learns slowly but also progresses . probably not for us but getting ice time for a shot as elite as Thompson , he May become emotionally mature and fux the obvious strength and holes in his game is he hasn't hit his ceiling with financial comfort..

If KA could sprinkle a home town poor hungry enthusiasm into competition for top 24 players... might finish off his team building w trades rumoured D and G. ( i think UPL grows up and competes w Levi after Summer)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Bultman: Let’s move on to our next topic, on a pair of right-shot defenders teams will certainly be deciding between in the coming days: Tom Willander and Axel Sandin Pellikka. Corey, we’ll start with you here, as Willander shot up your final ranks into the top 15, ahead of Sandin Pellikka. Why do you prefer him now?

Pronman: I think Sandin Pellikka is more of a natural offensive guy. Anyone who has seen him run a power play, or just compared the two players’ offensive totals will see there’s a difference there. I think Willander has a more translatable game to the pro level though. He is one of the very best skaters in the draft. Sandin Pellikka is a good skater, and while some scouts feel he’s high-end in that area, I see good, not great mobility. Willander is also 2.5 inches taller, while being a better skater, and he projects to be a much better defender in the NHL. We saw at the U18s how good of a shutdown player he could be against the top NHL talents on Canada and USA.

The question then becomes how big is the offense difference between the two relative to the defensive differences. I think the offense difference will be minor even though I think Sandin Pellikka is smarter with a better shot. I think Willander can move the puck. I think he showed that as the season progressed between his play in the second half at the Swedish J20 level including the playoffs, the U18 5 nations in February and the 18 worlds in April. The sample size isn’t overly inspiring but I saw the progression in his game to where at times the Swedish U18 coach was defaulting to Willander as the main power-play guy at times over ASP. With that in mind combined with his premium athletic toolkit, I think Willander will be the better NHL defenseman.

Bultman: Scott, you have Sandin Pellikka ahead still by a solid margin. Why should teams prefer him to Willander?

Wheeler: I think it’s close enough that either could have the better NHL career. We certainly both agree that Willander’s the better skater and that, with his length, probably gives him a higher ceiling defending. I like Sandin Pellikka to become a solid defender in his own right, though, too. He’s competitive. He’s physical. He plays tight gaps really effectively through neutral ice. He reads the game well. He held his own in the SHL this season. So it’s not as though we’re comparing an excellent two-way defenseman to an all-offense guy. I think I’d contend that ASP’s mobility is closer to great, too. Certainly he has great edges/backward skating, but I like his ability to pull away going forward as well.

And then there’s a pretty wide gap between their sense/shooting/offensive instincts. Willander plays a comfortable game moving the puck, but his play off of the offensive zone blue line was vanilla all year, both in terms of playmaking skill and in terms of his ability to even see the ambitious offensive play to begin with (he almost always makes the simple one). The Swedes also ran two pretty equal power play units in terms of usage, and spread out the talent at forward and on defense.

If Willander can add a little more dimension to his game in time, I could see my position changing, but I just haven’t seen enough from him there at this stage.

Bultman: Corey, considering how Willander rose on your list after the U18 Worlds, is there any concern about putting too much emphasis on what he showed at that event?

Pronman: It is, but with him, I think it’s less an outlier performance and more of a trend. He wasn’t a top player for Sweden at the Hlinka. Then he got better at the November five nations. Then he was very good at the World Junior A Challenge. Then he was good at the February 5 nations. Then he helped lead Rogle to a J20 title. And finally, he had that monster April tournament at the worlds. So it wasn’t about one good week but a player who continuously got better as the season progressed.

Bultman: And Scott, there aren’t a ton of top-four defensemen who are under 6 feet in the NHL (although, it’s worth noting, some of the exceptions are some of the sport’s best players). The question might be, does Sandin Pellikka have the dynamic qualities to be the next one, or is there any concern he could trend more like Adam Boqvist or Nils Lundkvist?

Wheeler: There were 92 defensemen 6 feet or under (28 percent of the league’s D, almost exactly two out of every team’s seven defensemen), and 47 defensemen 5-foot-11 and under (14 percent, or one-in-seven), who played in the NHL last year. I don’t think it’s as rare as it’s perceived to be that way.

ASP is closer to Lundkvist than Boqvist stylistically, and Lundkvist showed promise in Dallas that he could become a second-pairing guy. I think he’s a better prospect than Rasmus Sandin and Sean Durzi were at the same age, too, and both have become good NHL defensemen who’ve beaten out good, bigger NHL defensemen for their jobs. If those guys are his floor (and I think ASP is a considerably better prospect right now than Lundqvist, or Sandin, or Durzi were), and a Josh Morrissey or a Vince Dunn-type is the ceiling, that’s worthy of a high-pick play. I see more than enough quality in the way he handles the puck, attacks, shoots, and sees the ice to believe there’s a medium chance he can get there offensively.

Willander over ASP for me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm curious if Adams will have a PC like Yzerman did this morning:

Interesting hearing him speak about it being relatively deep and very good at the top (13ish minutes in).

Reactions: Dingo44

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

Interesting hearing him speak about it being relatively deep and very good at the top (13ish minutes in).

Aside from our draft, I'm most interested in Detroit's (I hope they botch it). 9, 17, 41, 42, 43 is a pretty serious stack. After our pick at 39, it could be a frustrating watch as they get three straight cracks before us at 45 - saw a mock with them taking Nelson, Pekarcik, and Dvorak there. I think the top of the second round is deep and good.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

I remember he did one last year with Forton. But we’re pretty much at the time before the draft when they did that today…so maybe not?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’ve decided that I think we’re drafting Matthew Wood. I don’t love it and I wouldn’t do it…but it checks a lot of the boxes I think they covet. A giant ball of potential with high skill that they can mold and develop. I know they’ve also prioritized skating…but I bet they think he can improve it and be a monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad