2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Is day 2 really just going to be at 11 am on a Thursday?

what is this league?

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Not ASP. Simashev or Willander if this defenseman pick.
You might be right, years from now Simashev (And I personally avoid Russians. Unless it was Michkov.) or Willander may as well, but in our draft Reinbacher was 9th OV and Willander 11th. ASP was best dman available IMO. And since Simashev never once played in a best on best, I would rather take someone I am more certain on than a Russian that is ranked by most as a late 1st early 2nd (CSS and Bob McKenzie have him in that range)

That said, it doesn't fall in the range of "Just shoot me now." lol

I could have went more flashy than Strammel at 39, but he is the kind of guy that compliments the roster. You can run 12 top 6 forwards, and I see Stramel as that coveted middle six RH centre.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Every mock I read online or watch on YouTube where Buffalo comes up and they pass on Simashev or even Willander to take ASP makes me want to punch a wall.

The world is testing me today.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You might be right, years from now Simashev (And I personally avoid Russians. Unless it was Michkov.) or Willander may as well, but in our draft Reinbacher was 9th OV and Willander 11th. ASP was best dman available IMO. And since Simashev never once played in a best on best, I would rather take someone I am more certain on than a Russian that is ranked by most as a late 1st early 2nd (CSS and Bob McKenzie have him in that range)

I could have went more flashy than Strammel at 39, but he is the kind of guy that compliments the roster. You can run 12 top 6 forwards, and I see Stramel as that coveted middle six RH centre.
Wow man, I (and not only me) disagree with you. Simashev is an excellent defenseman, Bob Mackenzie's rating is still old, in some ratings Simashev is in the top 10 - top 15. In the Black Book, he generally ranked fifth as the best defenseman in the draft. I think you don't know who Simashev is. He has a size, very good skating, great hands, great defense. His skating and defensive play is better than Reinbacher's.

ASP offensive D, we already have Dahlin and Power in the top 4. I also think Simashev is better than ASP in terms of general skills. So my choice is Simashev, not ASP. Buffalo is constantly drafting Russians, it's not a problem.

Reactions: Ehran

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What are you hoping to get in this draft?

If I may assess from my armchair:

Simashev is more popular among some of us who banter about draft prospects for the Sabres than ASP.

Stramel, that's fine. I might like Danny Nelson more who went shortly afterward but it's fine.

Molendyk is a nice pick, interesting skill set and his skating is just amazing.

Fink's a nice player, but my word is he tiny. Buffalo has a glut of small scoring forwards, they should be steering farther from them and with local boy Gavin McCarthy - 2-way/physical RHD who also happens to be local to Buffalo as the next pick is a bit of a thing too. He's got a lot of talent, could really be something down the line if he can stack another 20-25 lbs on to get some burst to go along with the scorer/playmaker stuff... It's just they have so many of these guys that they have to really wow me. :D

With the Fischer pick, as an Axel Landen stan and someone high on Mynio... I would've gone with either of them there or even Brady Cleveland. Buffalo needs to invest hard in the blueline and some of them playing a harder game which both Landen and Cleveland do.

Clara, 'kay. He'd be plugging another goalie into the system and they would have time to see if he can work on his game. That's fine. I haven't sifted the whole thing with a fine tooth comb or anything, just looking at the draft thus far and what I would think they would lean toward.

Carlsson seems like great value at that pick.

Hay's a nice grab late - OHL coaches poll has him as one of the top faceoff guys.

Overall, good job.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon

Maybe not "Just shoot me now", but many on this board have Simashev ranked very high (he's 6OA on my list) and ASP - for a number of reasons - is the kind of dman we don't want. Passing on Simashev when he's available would be crushing. All that said, I'd be more than happy with your next two picks. Molendyk is a mid-20s pick for me and Stramel is an intriguing prospect.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
What are you hoping to get in this draft?
ASL is a wasted pick for the Sabres. Everything he does, Dahlin and Power both do better. For the 13th overall pick you would hope the Sabres would be able to draft someone that isn't just a weaker clone of 2 young players already on the roster.

Strammel isn't bad. Molendyk is another smallish offensive defenseman. He doesn't fit what we need. There is a need for more defensive capable D-men.

Fink is a small, talented forward. We already have Kulich and Rosen about ready to move up and fill that role. Not even mentioning Savoie at this point.

Fischer isn't bad. Clara is sort of a duplicate of Lienonen, a large goaltender that needs years of development.

Overall, the picks are not bad players in a void, but put together they don't address the holes in the long term roster makeup.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

I, for one, would not be upset if we ended up with ASP, because I still think we could use more puck moving talent in our D. But I'd also prefer Simashev, Reinbacher, or Willander if they are available because they seem more well-rounded and suited to what we need most. I also think I would prefer a couple of the forwards if all 3 top D are gone (Moore/Dvorsky/Benson) vs ASP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad