2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
i just don’t love this draft after the top like everyone else does. I’ve spent months trying to see what they see. I don’t. On top I do. But that’s not depth…that’s an elite top. I’m not more excited about 13 this year than I was 16 last year. I’m less excited about the second round this year than last year…although they’re unlikely to disappoint me as much with what they do in round 2 this year.

I'm the opposite - more excited about who might be there at 13 than last year, potentially with a player who could be better than last year's 9OA and at the moment better players at 39, 45 and even down to 86 than what they were taking in similar tiers last year.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'm the opposite - more excited about who might be there at 13 than last year, potentially with a player who could be better than last year's 9OA and at the moment better players at 39, 45 and even down to 86 than what they were taking in similar tiers last year.

This! The players we are taking about at 13 are the same quality of players we’re talking about in the top 10 last year. I don’t see the argument that it is LESS deep this year

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This! The players we are taking about at 13 are the same quality of players we’re talking about in the top 10 last year. I don’t see the argument that it is LESS deep this year
Well for starters what the top 13 looks like isn’t exactly the definition of depth. Depth means there are better players for longer as the draft goes one. Secondly…I don’t value Perreault or Wood or Moore or Willander or anyone in that grouping as highly as I did Savoie and even Kulich before last draft. I wouldn’t trade either for the 13th pick in this draft unless Michkov or Benson manage to fall. Third…the defense in this draft is nowhere near as exciting to me as last years. Fourth….when we got to round 2 last year there were a bunch of people I was excited about (we passed on all of them) this year…meh.

I’d love to know who people have ranked so highly on day 2 that the Casey’s and Hutson’s of last year pale in comparison. Shit…I’d love to know who people think we’re taking at 13 that they’d rate as so incredible too. I’m the biggest Simashev fan in the world. I’m not taking him over last years picks in our first round. I mean…I could be talked into Ostlund because our need is so big. But not on talent.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Well for starters what the top 13 looks like isn’t exactly the definition of depth. Depth means there are better players for longer as the draft goes one. Secondly…I don’t value Perreault or Wood or Moore or Willander or anyone in that grouping as highly as I did Savoie and even Kulich before last draft. I wouldn’t trade either for the 13th pick in this draft unless Michkov or Benson manage to fall. Third…the defense in this draft is nowhere near as exciting to me as last years. Fourth….when we got to round 2 last year there were a bunch of people I was excited about (we passed on all of them) this year…meh.

I’d love to know who people have ranked so highly on day 2 that the Casey’s and Hutson’s of last year pale in comparison. Shit…I’d love to know who people think we’re taking at 13 that they’d rate as so incredible too. I’m the biggest Simashev fan in the world. I’m not taking him over last years picks in our first round. I mean…I could be talked into Ostlund because our need is so big. But not on talent.
Last year was the deepest draft in recent memory. I'd have to go back to 2015 to find a draft with close to as many interesting prospects, and that wasn't even the case. This draft can be good and deep and still not as good as last year, which, incidentally was SEVERELY lacking at the top of the draft. There might be 5 prospects in this draft that would have been #1 for me last year. There are at least 4 for sure, and it's debatable to me Benson vs Nemec, who was my 1.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Last year was the deepest draft in recent memory. I'd have to go back to 2015 to find a draft with close to as many interesting prospects, and that wasn't even the case. This draft can be good and deep and still not as good as last year, which, incidentally was SEVERELY lacking at the top of the draft. There might be 5 prospects in this draft that would have been #1 for me last year. There are at least 4 for sure, and it's debatable to me Benson vs Nemec, who was my 1.
So the draft people continue to bang on being the deepest draft in years isn’t even the deepest draft in a year? Kind of my point. You don’t need to look any farther than how many 1sts have already been traded in this draft to see what teams think of this draft in reality. Even if analysts repeatedly said it was something it isn’t for years. The top of the draft is an all timer. Then it’s a regular draft without as good of defense. Been saying it for half a year. Teams acted like it all year too.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Pick two finnish goalies with #39 and #45? :sarcasm:

No need for sarcasm. I'm always game for more Finnish netminders.

That being said, I don't care at all about any of the picks. Just make a few trades. I'm anxious for next season to start, excited to see how the team plays now, as opposed to guys who won't see the NHL for 3+ years. Not saying to trade all the picks, but let's go, guys. Draft some D, draft some Finnish goalies, and move 13, Olofsson, whatever. Let's go!

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They need to draft a goalie for sure. They’ve got one in the pipeline and i don’t think anything of him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't know if the number of traded 1st round picks correlates to the depth or simply the number of teams loading up for the playoffs. There's been 10 picks moved, last year 9 were traded, 5 the year before and 4 the year before that
10 picks moved…and 4 twice. There’s been 14 teams happy to send the 1st round pick someone told me last off-season would never get moved because this is the best draft ever. A draft where, without an unexpected player drop for Michkov or Benson, I’m not exactly thrilled with the options at 13. But if people want to explain why a Wood or Yager should be super exciting to me…that’s what this thread is for.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
They need to draft a goalie for sure. They’ve got one in the pipeline and i don’t think anything of him.
I agree, but I meant if Adams takes two Finnish goalies with 39 and 45 picks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know if the number of traded 1st round picks correlates to the depth or simply the number of teams loading up for the playoffs. There's been 10 picks moved, last year 9 were traded, 5 the year before and 4 the year before that

Eh, three of the picks that have moved this year did so prior to the season even starting - Chairot's rental to the Panthers, Lundkvist to the Rangers and the Hagel deal. That the Bruins had a final kick with this group made it seem inevitable that they would move their pick in a rental. Similarly, the Leafs did as well initially. We haven't yet seen what happens on draft day, there will likely be a couple of shuffles where a team is locked in on a particular player and they move up, but so far, only 1 pick in the top 16. I'm curious if anyone at the top shifts down but at this point, the trades seem more indicative of the push to compete this year. Hell, there are three picks for next year's draft that have already moved and we haven't even gotten to off-season trading and roster shaping. For kicks, THIRTEEN of the 2024 second round picks have already been traded, including 1 twice.

10 picks moved…and 4 twice. There’s been 14 teams happy to send the 1st round pick someone told me last off-season would never get moved because this is the best draft ever. A draft where, without an unexpected player drop for Michkov or Benson, I’m not exactly thrilled with the options at 13. But if people want to explain why a Wood or Yager should be super exciting to me…that’s what this thread is for.

Last year a first round pick was moved 18 times in total. There were 8 moves in the first round on the day of the draft, including one inside the top 10. Five were moved prior to the season even starting. When there is less certainty, teams do talk about having more cracks at selection as a method of trying to find a player - that chances of finding a player increase with raw selection count later in the draft. Several teams went hard on that by flipping down multiple times. And there were four moves in the first round that had cap implications (the Kassian flip involved 2 moves and a pile of picks to the Coyotes later in multiple drafts... and the Oilers still traded the guy they got to get Ekholm this year). Seven 2nd rounders moved last year on the draft day alone as teams shuffled around.

The top five or six in this draft easily beat out the top pick in last year's draft. The "next" bit in this year's draft from 6ish down to the mid-teens could turn out to be on par with or better than just about the rest of last year's top 10. There are players who may wind up all the way down in the 2nd round this year who would have been easy mid-teens selections vs. last year's competition.

As for the comment about Yager or Wood... *eyeroll*

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Simon St-Lau dropped his rankings in the Prospects section this morrning. Deep, thoughtful analysis and well worth a look. I'd embed it here, but that is beyond my ken.

For me, when I first updated my ranking in the fall, there were 17 players whom I had given an ‘A’ prospect rating. Which means a first-round pick, no matter the quality/depth of his draft. Despite the appearance of unexpected players in my ranking in the second half of the season, it is a statement that I still stand by. Obviously, the top of the draft is as strong, if not better, than any other draft. The teams that finished at the bottom will have the assurance of picking up a very solid player who will contribute for the years to come for them.
His top 10:
1.) Bedard
2.) Carlsson
3.) Fantilli
4.) Benson
5.) Smith
6.) Michkov
7.) Simashev
8.) Reinbacher
9.) Leonard
10.) But

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
When I mock using HP’s rankings, and I’m honest about who gets picked, I get to 13 and don’t have many of the players the Sabres would want.

Simashev, Barlow, But all gone.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Realistically the first 3 are set in stone, the only question is who goes first out of Fantilli and Carlsson as Columbus has made no bones about they're taking a C

San Jose is a wildcard as they could go Smith, Michkov, Leonard. Montreal is looking at one of the leftovers as I don't think Reinbacher is high on their priorities. Now Arizona is intriguing as they also have 12, they picked their future C last year and are chock-full of small forwards so I think they're more likely to gravitate towards Leonard or Reinbacher.

Getting long winded so here's my current gut feeling mock

1. Chi Bedard
2. Ana Fantilli
3. Cbs Carlsson
4. SJS Smith
5. Mtl Leonard
6. Ari Reinbacher
7. Phi Dvorsky
8. Wsh Michkov
9. Det Danielson
10. StL Benson
11. Van Willander
12. Ari Barlow
13. Buf Honzek

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Realistically the first 3 are set in stone, the only question is who goes first out of Fantilli and Carlsson as Columbus has made no bones about they're taking a C

San Jose is a wildcard as they could go Smith, Michkov, Leonard. Montreal is looking at one of the leftovers as I don't think Reinbacher is high on their priorities. Now Arizona is intriguing as they also have 12, they picked their future C last year and are chock-full of small forwards so I think they're more likely to gravitate towards Leonard or Reinbacher.

Getting long winded so here's my current gut feeling mock

1. Chi Bedard
2. Ana Fantilli
3. Cbs Carlsson
4. SJS Smith
5. Mtl Leonard
6. Ari Reinbacher
7. Phi Dvorsky
8. Wsh Michkov
9. Det Danielson
10. StL Benson
11. Van Willander
12. Ari Barlow
13. Buf Honzek

Swap Dvorsky and Leonard, replace Willander with Simashev and Barlow with Honzek and you have the view of my draft board.

There’s also a Fantilli and Carlsson swap possible, but I see it going that way. We’re gonna be choosing between ASP, Wood, and But, and out of the order listed I like the last name listed and then go in reverse order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad