2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I don't know if this is a dumb question but are players like Michkov or Simashev going to be at the draft? What stops them from not going back if they are? Or is not like the 80s and 90s where Russians hid in suitcases to escape Russia?
I think the threats of repercussions to family / friends still back in Russia is the biggest deterrent to just staying here these days. If I remember correctly there were several Russian players that refused to comment about the war fearing that someone back home would pay the price.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I was on board with Boldy. Cozens though, he's answered all my pre-draft concerns and then some.
I was banging the table for Cozens and jumped out of my chair when we took him. For the year or two leading up to the draft he was viewed as a top 3 pick and then suddenly dropped for some reason. Guys like Turcotte, Kakko and Dach then jumped him. I think he potentially comes away as the second or third best player from that draft outside of Hughes and maybe Seider. I still take hiim over Zegras without hesitation.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
So, if Adams has players higher on his board than ASP, he should just ignore it and take the right handed defenseman.... because that's what he needs now? That's terrible asset management.

Prospects don't gain or lose value based on where they stand on some team's prospect board once drafted. And it certainly doesn't make any difference whether you break it down by position. That's just arguing your way to your point of view, with evidence that doesn't matter. If a prospect is good and developing, it doesn't matter what his internal to the organization rank is.

Rosen was picked 14. His development is worth that ranking. He'd fit into a trade for a 1st round pick or equivalent asset. That's a good pick. That's what good teams do.

You can go pick for need all day and see where that leads you. The Sabres have picked BPA for years under Adams, and caught flack from fans for picking Rosen and Quinn, especially. The "experts" on this board fried Adams for taking Quinn over Rossi. But it was the right move and has been the right move for the organization since Adams took over. There's no reason for Adams to deviate from what he's done, because it's worked.
Just wanted to add to the BPA & trade value disc.
Isnt it when you have too many prospects of the same ink that their value drops as well?

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Byron Bader put out his final list. I don't really buy his process honestly. You'll notice a conspicuous absence from his top 32. I think he's wrong, yet it just goes to show that we all expect certain things to happen based on the consensus we've come to embrace, but stuff is very much up in the air less than two weeks out.

1686938451361.png

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t like Bader and his model at all.
The worst thing about it is that the flaws are clear and he doesn’t do anything to figure out why. Of course Simashev won’t rank in his first round. Kulich didn’t either. Anyone want a do-over on that one?

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Perry Tegula

Yes... that'll do
Dec 7, 2022
His model is total ass at understanding production in different leagues. And it’s the entirety of what he bases everything on. He is easily the worst prognosticator in the game...and I think Button bases everything on the last game he watched.

OOF, brutal tweet.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Byron Bader put out his final list. I don't really buy his process honestly. You'll notice a conspicuous absence from his top 32. I think he's wrong, yet it just goes to show that we all expect certain things to happen based on the consensus we've come to embrace, but stuff is very much up in the air less than two weeks out.

View attachment 718541

The card from a number of other sources show Simashev as a replacement-level player too. The main difference is the people who make most of them note the flaws and blind spots in their process for certain types of players -- Bader comes across kind of dim at times, when he's not able to acknowledge this.

His model is total ass at understanding production in different leagues. And it’s the entirety of what he bases everything on. He is easily the worst prognosticator in the game...and I think Button bases everything on the last game he watched.

Pot, meet kettle

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I will always be apprehensive towards analytical models that project prospects. I enjoy looking at them because I love stats and numbers but there are just so many invaluable factors that are not integrated in them.

For example, if a prospect plays in a pro league in Europe that has a coach who favors veterans, there is not a measure of that as far as I’m aware.

Do they factor in the strength of team or linemates?

Reactions: Fjordy

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I’d be ecstatic if Simashev is available for us but we tend to always see certain guys in the 9-15 projection get a huge increase of hype seemingly out of nowhere a few weeks up until draft date, no doubt he’d be a great pick for us at 13 but I’m wondering if it’s a couple teams in the Reinbacher range trying to drum up doubt

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
On the latest athletic hockey podcast Pronman said one of the main takeaways from talking to teams at the combine and about the latest athletic mock draft is about the D in the draft

1. Says he is now certain that Reinbacher will go “very high” but doesn‘t know exactly where

2. Thinks Willander will be a top 15 pick

3. Was surprised how many teams love Simashev. Not universal…but a lot think he could be the best D in the draft

4. Thinks 4 D go in the top 20 with ASP being the other one…maybe even top 15 (but that’s less realistic). Wouldn’t rule out 3 in the top 12…which, if one isn’t ASP, is my nightmare scenario.

5. Thinks 7 or 8 go in round 1. Their latest mock only had 6

Whoever the cohost was said the Simashev buzz has become deafening.

me no likey

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
In better news (if he’s not one of your top targets…and he isn’t one of mine)…Pronman also said that Perreault has a lot of momentum behind him. Thinks he will be the 3rd guy taken from that team (ahead of Moore) and that he won’t have to wait too long after Leonard. Thinks he could go top 10. I hope that’s true because it’s a player I’m not as high on going ahead of us…and it probably helps the idea of Benson falling a bit.

on that note they said Danielson has consistently moved up the ranks…and that Benson was more of a wild card.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
In better news (if he’s not one of your top targets…and he isn’t one of mine)…Pronman also said that Perreault has a lot of momentum behind him. Thinks he will be the 3rd guy taken from that team (ahead of Moore) and that he won’t have to wait too long after Leonard. Thinks he could go top 10. I hope that’s true because it’s a player I’m not as high on going ahead of us…and it probably helps the idea of Benson falling a bit.

on that note they said Danielson has consistently moved up the ranks…and that Benson was more of a wild card.
Is Perreault really that bad? Did the guy score a bunch of points, or is he a Smith/Leonard product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad