2023 Free Agency/UFA Targets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean he didn't plan for hronek to get injured immediately after though...OR DID HE

but leddy was flipped for (essentially) walman and this years 2nd. Just walman makes it a win but who we take at that 2nd (or trade it for??) would be icing on the cake, i would think.
Hronek got hurt before he was traded. Vancouver just shut him down.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Vrana is going to keep scoring goals in bunches, it's what he does, so we'll hear about Yzerman losing him for nothing for the next few years.

Then there's Neddy and Leddy. Not high stakes trades but still.
Yzerman treating Vrana the way he did is perfectly within his MO, which is basically "don't f*** with me".

Reactions: SoupNazi and Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yzerman treating Vrana the way he did is perfectly within his MO, which is basically "don't f*** with me".

Oh I'm on board with jettisoning players that don't fit. Even if they have talent. Even if they do well elsewhere.

I'm just saying don't be surprised that if Vrana gets his shit together and throws 30 in net next year that we'll hear how poorly Yzerman did with the whole scenario.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Oh I'm on board with jettisoning players that don't fit. Even if they have talent. Even if they do well elsewhere.

I'm just saying don't be surprised that if Vrana gets his shit together and throws 30 in net next year that we'll hear how poorly Yzerman did with the whole scenario.
I wonder if those same fans think that Boston ruined Marty Lapointe.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I agree he obviously has that potential, but whatever demons he is/has been battling, they don't really go away, just managed.

Yzerman (and probably to a higher degree Lalonde imo) didn't see him managing it well at all. I hope he figures it out and gets it together, but all I see is someone thatll keep doing this until he hits that bottom.

Kinda like McCarty. Very good at what he does but couldn't kick it and now he just looks disheveled and it sucks to see. I know he is doing much better now though right? Or have I been misled.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Barbs, Tanko and ROR incoming.

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wonder if we could get Tarasenko and O'Reilly to take 2 year deals and reunite them on the second line while Kasper/Mazur develop.
Actually, the team has enough cap space to overpay both of them for one season, and they might be able to pad their stats playing second line with Perron. They both had off seasons, they can improve their market value. 1 year at $7.5M each? (The team could realistically afford $10M each, but that seems silly.) Neither player had a $7.5M season, but it's a one year deal.

Note: $7.5M was their previous AAV

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wonder if we could get Tarasenko and O'Reilly to take 2 year deals and reunite them on the second line while Kasper/Mazur develop.
Ken Holland is that you?

That's Steve Yzerman who signed and traded all Simon Gagnes, Alex Tanguays, Eric Brewers, Dwayne Rolosons, Matt Carles etc. to surround certain kids like Hedman and Stamkos (read: Seider and Raymond) to play instead of all kids.

Same Steve Yzerman did put majority of kids (Tyler Johnson, Richard Panik, Ondrej Palat, Radgo Gudas, Cory Conacher, Alex Killorn, Brett Connolly, JT Brown, Vlad Namestnikov, Cedric PAquette, Nikita Kucherov, Nikita Nesterov, Jonathan Marchessault, Yanni Gourde, Adam Erne, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Brayden Point, Tony DeAngelo, Jonathan Drouin, Anthony Cirelli, Mathieu Joseph and Carter Verhaege) to Norfolk/Syracuse and called them later up. Traded some vets away in front of them for futures, after these young kids did "graduate" from the farm system.

Mostly, if look back on those days, the farm maturing was very foward heavy. And he did keep a veteran defence, all were traded or signed from free agency as vets. Only Hedman was own product, Sergachev got on a trade, McDonagh on a trade, earlier Brewer was a trade-in and trade-out. Cernak was a trade. Bogosians and Ruttas were just cheap fill-ins to complete handnesses.

Home-grown goalie after trying many different vets (like Roloson) and tradining for monsters (Lindböck, Bishop).

In a nutshell:

- Small-sized forwards, fast and skill with grit
- Forwards mostly developed through farm system (the Ken Holland way)
- Filled roster forward holes with short-term UFAs, instead of giving spot for kids
- Big-sized defence (even traded 1st + 3rd + Gudas for Coburn)
- Mostly veteran defence through trades
- Monster goalie, one way or another.

That was the Yzer-plan at Tampa.

Sounds familiar?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Reilly Smith was traded for a 3rd to Shittsburgh. There's the money they need to sign Barbashev long term. :(

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Didn't someone already report that Stone is legitimately injured and unlikely to fully recover? Ie play enough games to get loose then LTIR city...
I thought that was a joke...I read on twitter that a guy said breaking news, after lifting up the cup, stone is going back on ltir. The team expects a full recovery in time for the 2024 playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad