2023 Free Agency/UFA Targets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
welcome to the life we live with norrisnick lol.

I would be more than happy to do sign him to 5-6 mil for a 1st + 3rd next year, as long as we have made or are going to make moves to increase offense. We get our RD, we have offensive weapon(s) and our 1st next year would be a late first in this case.

Would rather do that than the trade that was suggested lol.
Pardon me for not being eager to sign soon to be 34yo coming off a career year on a hell of a lot better team than ours to a $6M multi-year deal. It's like people have no concept of contextualizing performance on a different team and just assume it will be the same on ours.

Bouchard is not the type of RD we need. If we were going to toss $5-6M+ at Bouchard, why not just keep Hronek?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Well obvious he's gonna say that after re-signing him, but the rebuild will look a lot like Stevie's career. By the time the team contends for the Cup, Larkin isn't going to be the 1C, much like Stevie wasn't at the end of his career.

So I'm not really sure that's "building around him", regardless of what Stevie says. Maybe just semantics, I do expect DBoss to be the captain throughout his contract, and he might stay his whole career like the Captain did.

So Stevie's goal is to keep the team out of the bottom 3 worst teams but not improve them enough to make the playoffs by only SAYING he's going to build around Larkin?

3GP.gif

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Pardon me for not being eager to sign soon to be 34yo coming off a career year on a hell of a lot better team than ours to a $6M multi-year deal. It's like people have no concept of contextualizing performance on a different team and just assume it will be the same on ours.

Bouchard is not the type of RD we need. If we were going to toss $5-6M+ at Bouchard, why not just keep Hronek?
I was mainly talking about the unrealistic expectations part but eh, whatcha gonna do?

bouchard plays defense.....hronek gonna hronek

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

Man if only everyone were as smart as you. Crazy how everyone you disagree with happens to be dumber.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I was mainly talking about the unrealistic expectations part but eh, whatcha gonna do?

bouchard plays defense.....hronek gonna hronek
Unrealistic expectations? What expectations? I fully expect Killorn to be overpaid. I just hope it isn't us doing it.

Bouchard's defense is Hronek-esque at best. They are basically the same player.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Well obvious he's gonna say that after re-signing him, but the rebuild will look a lot like Stevie's career. By the time the team contends for the Cup, Larkin isn't going to be the 1C, much like Stevie wasn't at the end of his career.

So I'm not really sure that's "building around him", regardless of what Stevie says. Maybe just semantics, I do expect DBoss to be the captain throughout his contract, and he might stay his whole career like the Captain did.
If SY does indeed start trading for established scoring line forwards, it means he's ready to start making the playoffs and competing before Larkin hits 30.

If he uses all 1sts in 23/24....well, tough luck Larkin. Another good career that'll probably end without a cup.

Reactions: Gniwder

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
uh-oh....RHD available...........................................

Hate that he is 35, but he shoots right, 6'4''.......uh oh. do we get excited for the possibility or no? He would be AMAZING to pair with edvinsson on the second line for veteran leadership and cup winning experience....

No offense but why would we get excited about a husk of a defenseman who has barely been serviceable for years at this point? He’s more toast than he is a target.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
No offense but why would we get excited about a husk of a defenseman who has barely been serviceable for years at this point? He’s more toast than he is a target.

As a bottom pair RD that can provide veteran mentorship. Detroit needs someone to play with Chiarot.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Let me sell you on Pierre Engvall. He is a large versatile player, who plays a heavy but average physical game (I think there is more physicality to come with his confidence). He is very responsible defensively and excellent in the shorthanded special teams. He can play center or wing. After arriving in NY he really took off and fit in there really well, gaining an extra 2 minutes on average per game.

If you put him as the 3rd line center or LW on the 2nd or 3rd line, give him 15 minutes per game, and he is a solid 20+ goals and 40 point guy, who will be a main penalty killer. He just turned 27 last month and he's Swedish. Fits our MO to a tee. I say a 3 year at $11.25M and I would be happy as hell. I think he is a rising talent qho is getting more and more confident.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
As a bottom pair RD that can provide veteran mentorship. Detroit needs someone to play with Chiarot.
that's why you get gudas! Although my d-pairs would be:

walman - seider
ed - chiarot
maatta - gudas

Ed and chiarot were actually not terrible if you really just watch them on the lines together. Of course there were miscues and weird plays here and there because they only had what 5-9 games together and don't know each others full styles yet (and being a 1 game rookie didn't help either). But, towards the 8-9th games, you could see some chemistry forming.

The problem with seider - chiarot pairing was glaringly obvious. Seider in his first year, proved he was the 1D or about to be the 1D. Then Chiarot came in thinking he was the best D on our team because of age/exp or whatever he thought. With that, Seider was deferring to him routinely and way too often. Towards the end of the pairing before they officially stopped, you could see the frustration in Seider and how Chiarot was trying to be the back-end play driver with the first pass. He would also look like he is fully expecting the puck passed to him for zone-exit and looked somewhat visibly irritated that Seider did the zone-exit.

I get why they got chiarot and thought of him playing with seider because Seider would have a real veteran with a lot of experience to help round out his game. It wasn't a terrible decision, especially at the time, but by doing so, Seider was able to prove that he was "HIM" and chiarot needed to settle the fuc* down. When Lalonde either figured this out or finally made the move, you could see the elevation in Seider's game back to last year.

Ed has no reason to think he is better than chiarot even though we all probably think he is. But, he has some education in the NHL still to learn and having chiarot was proving to be helpful in those later games.

With all that being said, a pairing of Maatta and Gudas (or I guess Mayfield, I would have to defer to people who have watched mayfield play because I really haven't) would be excellent because you have two guys that are defensively sound, Maatta knows how to pinch in at the right times and keep the puck in the o-zone and gudas is there to protect our younger players that are most likely on the 3rd and 4th lines. If gudas is outplaying his position, then switch him with Chiarot and round out more of Ed's game with some real physicality (i know, ed does have some physical stuff, but learning how gudas does it would be extremely beneficial).

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Let me sell you on Pierre Engvall. He is a large versatile player, who plays a heavy but average physical game (I think there is more physicality to come with his confidence). He is very responsible defensively and excellent in the shorthanded special teams. He can play center or wing. After arriving in NY he really took off and fit in there really well, gaining an extra 2 minutes on average per game.

If you put him as the 3rd line center or LW on the 2nd or 3rd line, give him 15 minutes per game, and he is a solid 20+ goals and 40 point guy, who will be a main penalty killer. He just turned 27 last month and he's Swedish. Fits our MO to a tee. I say a 3 year at $11.25M and I would be happy as hell. I think he is a rising talent qho is getting more and more confident.
27 year old who averages less than 30 points a season and would make almost 4 million sounds almost exactly like a Red Wings second line winger, sadly enough.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

We already have Copp at home.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So Stevie's goal is to keep the team out of the bottom 3 worst teams but not improve them enough to make the playoffs by only SAYING he's going to build around Larkin?

3GP.gif
Larkin HAD to be re-signed to maintain a fan base. Stevie is appeasing the fan base, but I don't see him changing his long term plans. I think he's going the slow route and sticking with his plan to build through the draft. That's all I'm saying. remember, he also said he was going to build through the draft just a couple of seasons ago.

We'll see what he does in free agency and trades the next 2 off seasons. I'm not expecting any big moves this offseason. Probably a RHD and a PKer forward.

If SY does indeed start trading for established scoring line forwards, it means he's ready to start making the playoffs and competing before Larkin hits 30.

If he uses all 1sts in 23/24....well, tough luck Larkin. Another good career that'll probably end without a cup.
Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. We'll see what he does.

I'm not quite as pessimistic, I think the Wings will be good enough before DBoss' contract ends.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Larkin HAD to be re-signed to maintain a fan base. Stevie is appeasing the fan base, but I don't see him changing his long term plans. I think he's going the slow route and sticking with his plan to build through the draft. That's all I'm saying. remember, he also said he was going to build through the draft just a couple of seasons ago.

We'll see what he does in free agency and trades the next 2 off seasons. I'm not expecting any big moves this offseason. Probably a RHD and a PKer forward.

Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. We'll see what he does.

I'm not quite as pessimistic, I think the Wings will be good enough before DBoss' contract ends.
a few seasons ago debrincat was a figment of our imagination though...that would help accelerate a bit..

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
If you told any Wings fans last season that they could basically trade Hronek for DeBrincat and a 2nd they would have thought you were insane.

@OgeeOgelthorpe would've been surprised you could even get a 2nd. :laugh:

I never said Hronek had no trade value. The scenario that happened was my best case scenario for that liability.

I think it's funnier that for all the talk of Chychrun getting 4 1sts + an A level prospect + a roster player back he basically went for the same cost as Hronek.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I never said Hronek had no trade value. The scenario that happened was my best case scenario for that liability.

I think it's funnier that for all the talk of Chychrun getting 4 1sts + an A level prospect + a roster player back he basically went for the same cost as Hronek.
And then Hronek immediately went out for the season. It couldn't have worked out better for Yzerman.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It makes me wonder if trades like that give Yzerman a reputation as someone you only deal with when you absolutely have to.

Vrana is going to keep scoring goals in bunches, it's what he does, so we'll hear about Yzerman losing him for nothing for the next few years.

Then there's Neddy and Leddy. Not high stakes trades but still.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It makes me wonder if trades like that give Yzerman a reputation as someone you only deal with when you absolutely have to.
I mean he didn't plan for hronek to get injured immediately after though...OR DID HE

Vrana is going to keep scoring goals in bunches, it's what he does, so we'll hear about Yzerman losing him for nothing for the next few years.

Then there's Neddy and Leddy. Not high stakes trades but still.
but leddy was flipped for (essentially) walman and this years 2nd. Just walman makes it a win but who we take at that 2nd (or trade it for??) would be icing on the cake, i would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad