2023 Free Agency/UFA Targets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we sign two mid-30s UFAs for our top 6 I'm going to yeet myself off the tallest structure I can find.

Those are probably the best possible signings.

A) winner vets who are best mentor guys for our kids.
B) they will be signed short-term, so the slots will open sooner, than signing in-prime players.

win-win only.

And you will refuse to understand it. I know it already.

Last edited:
Reactions: PelagicJoe

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Those are probably the best possible signings.

A) winner vets who are best mentor guys for our kids.
B) they will be signed short-term, so the slots will open sooner, than signing in-prime players.

win-win only.

And will you refuse to understand it. I know it already.

You feel the DRW should still be adding just cheap vets "as mentors" that we can maybe flip for more picks... that we're still at that stage of our rebuild?

I sure hope we're not.

Ww need to inject some real young talent while also continuing to rebuild

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You feel the DRW should still be adding just cheap vets "as mentors" that we can maybe flip for more picks... that we're still at that stage of our rebuild?

I sure hope we're not.

Ww need to inject some real young talent while also continuing to rebuild
We won't be properly built until each player has a mentor. 1 for 1.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We should trade for a 26 and younger top 4 forward

We should trade for a 28 and younger top 4 RT shot dman

We can add x1 UFA forward
We need to sign 1 UFA goalie
Yes.
Connor/Lindholm/Konecny
Andersson (go big style)/Peeke (#4 level)
Insert unqualified forward ala Suter/Kubalik
League average goalie that doesn't have health concerns

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
I really think that the Covid lockdown really affected players views on playing in Canada. A lot of US born players especially couldn’t see their families for years. That’s one of the big reasons Gaudreau wanted out
Do you have a link that supports this theory?

Obviously the same reasoning would stand for Canadian players in the USA, no?

Players don't want to be in Canada because the taxes are high, the weather sucks in the winter and the scrutiny is intense.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Taxes aren't a problem, but the winter-thing and local media being annoying are certain factors.
Should be for any American playing in Canada. IRS still taxes there income along with Canada. I know for Basketball it's a bigger deal because quite a few of the players are not Canadian or foreign. They're from the United States(most).

Anyone trying to exchange cash aboard will be hit too with a good exchange rate. etc. but won't get hit as hard by the IRS.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Players don't want to be in Canada because the taxes are high, the weather sucks in the winter and the scrutiny is intense.

The scrutiny thing seems weak given that it has no effect in the MLB or NFL and yet the scrutiny can and is often much worse..

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021

Taxes are high in Illinois, the weather sucks In Minnesota, Michigan and Illinois among other states.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021

Reactions: Murmansk16A

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I’ve stopped talking about Killhorn because I’ve just accepted it that it’s happening, it’s already done. Contract is sitting in his glovebox and he’ll send it over in July in the first minute FA opens up. And I’m not mad about it at all.

• Haha
Reactions: NickH8 and Ricelund

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Well, there's always room in the rabbit hole for Mike Commodore and Johnny Hockey.

Honestly, I read the articles but they don't make a lot of sense.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
No thanks, I'm all set.

No interest in reading 3rd person, anecdotal opinions from media sources that are unreliable and selling speculation.

No one here is interested in getting into another pointless covid debate.

But again, how is the situation any different with Canadian players playing in the USA.

Covid is really no longer a major issue for the NHL, yet more players are looking to get out of Winnipeg and Calgary ... even Canadian players.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Taxes are high in Illinois, the weather sucks In Minnesota, Michigan and Illinois among other states.
Calgary and Winnipeg are on a whole different level bud, average Jan lows of -6F, with a lot of wind. Not to mention the shorter days during hockey season.

Vancouver isn't as bad because of the ocean effect, and is actually warmer than Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad