2023 Free Agency/UFA Targets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
I’m for getting DeBrincat. I think, speculating on the trade cost, he should absolutely cost less than what Ottawa traded to get him (7th+39th+2023 3rd) simply due to him being a year older than when they got him, a year less of a cap friendly contract, and having a bit of a down year. Does it mean 17th+42nd gets it done? Not sure. Being a better draft than last year should figure in too.

My other thought (maybe against the trade) is that we need two more top 6 forwards, and 2 right D to fill out the roster. If we trade for DeBrincat do we have the assets to trade for that second pair right D? With the Boston pick in hand we might.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Hope we explore this.

This is Marty Lapointe. Banger that can play up and down the lineup with enough skill to contribute, win a couple Cups, and then signs a UFA contract he can't possibly live up to.

Great to have at pre-UFA salaries but almost never worth it after the fact. It sucks because you love the player, but then hate the contract.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
OEL on a one year, reasonable price, show me contract?

The word I heard on him is that he's a useful piece, just not on his past contract.
Walman
Edvinsson
Maatta
Chiarot
AlJo
Wallinder

That's our left side. I don't want to bring in an ancient OEL to play on the right. His mobility fell of a cliff with injuries in the 19-20 season. He isn't salvagable. If Maatta and Chiarot didn't exist, sure for the 3rd pairing, but we're are full up on the left side.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Hope we explore this.

Is Barbashev really all that different than Kubalik / Fabbri / Rasmussen as a middle 6 forward? He's not on my list of must-sign players for this summer. I would much rather explore trades in order to change the make of the core forwards.

Reactions: lgrws91

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Is Barbashev really all that different than Kubalik / Fabbri / Rasmussen as a middle 6 forward? He's not on my list of must-sign players for this summer. I would much rather explore trades in order to change the make of the core forwards.
No, with regards to Rasmussen as they both are more physical two-way guys. Fabbri and Kubalik are different sorts. The trick to Barbashev is he's been on two cup winners and acquitted himself very well regardless of what role was asked of him. And that will make him very expensive.

Barbashev is the prototypical coach's dream middle 6 forward. Ras is much the same. Once they approach $5M+ that becomes less feasible to keep
around.

Compher is the same kind of guy. Great in the $2Ms and $3Ms. Not so much $4.5-5M+.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Barbashev is going to get an Abdelkader/Clarkson type contract that will rapidly become an albatross.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is Marty Lapointe. Banger that can play up and down the lineup with enough skill to contribute, win a couple Cups, and then signs a UFA contract he can't possibly live up to.

Great to have at pre-UFA salaries but almost never worth it after the fact. It sucks because you love the player, but then hate the contract.

At regular season Barbashev was 1.92 points/60 5-on-5 with his regular season stats.

Dylan Larkin was our best player and worse with 1.86 points/60 5-on-5.

At playoffs Barbashev was 3.15 points/60 5-on-5.

Imo, Barbashev is real deal. He definitely was better at the playoffs with good chemistries on the VGK top line, but that regular season production comes mostly from the Blues, where he didn't have anything special linemates. Brayden Schenn and Noel Acciari were most common.

I don't think he is gonna be next Marty Lapointe. Very much like Artturi Lehkonen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Evolving-hockey estimates 4.7M - 4.9M for 4-7 years for Barbashev. That's nothing significant. not anything like Abdelkader or Clarkson ever was. Somebody will probably pay the 5M.

Lehkonen got a 5-year deal worth 4.5M. Barbashev is better, but not much.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Evolving-hockey estimates 4.7M - 4.9M for 4-7 years for Barbashev. That's nothing significant. not anything like Abdelkader or Clarkson ever was. Somebody will probably pay the 5M.

Lehkonen got a 5-year deal worth 4.5M. Barbashev is better, but not much.
Oh, yeah, someone will pay the 5. They're just going to regret it in 3 years. He wouldn't be the first to have a few good seasons before cashing in a contract he can't live up to.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
I'd rather get stabbed in the balls than shot in the brain. Doesn't make either a good choice.
awkward-well-i-uh.gif

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'd rather get stabbed in the balls than shot in the brain. Doesn't make either a good choice.
Yeah, Copp and Barbashev are basically the same player. One is slightly more physical and the other has more defensive/PK responsibilities. Scoring output is a wash.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He's also a middle 6 forward on a team stuffed to the gills with middle 6 forwards. If you can talk him into taking Fabbri's contract (2x$4M) and talk someone else into taking Fabbri? Sure. But 3-4+ years at $4-5M+ for what? A different flavor of Perron?

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Scotty Mayfield, Pierre Engvall, and James Reimer. That is all in FA. Nothing else intrigues me except if Mayfield is gone I'll take Schenn.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Scotty Mayfield, Pierre Engvall, and James Reimer. That is all in FA. Nothing else intrigues me except if Mayfield is gone I'll take Schenn.
Mayfield's defensive stats and advanced stats are pretty subpar; for only scoring ~20 points per season he doesn't have as many hits or blocked shots as I'd like to see on a "defensive" D-man. I'd rather bring in Wallinder and let him learn on the third pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad