Speculation: 2023 Free Agency/Trade Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I can't remember how Comtois looked back then but this season I've noticed his skating doesn't really allow him to get much done with the quick counters where this team seems to get many of it's chances from. I'm sure he would benefit a lot if this team would have more control over the puck but that goes for anyone. Has he always looked so damn stiff? I feel like he never has the time to get much done when I've seen him.
He's always turned like a ship and had heavy feet... His biggest issue is his "want" level.

Maybe we could go down the yellow brick road and find Fowler courage, Comtois heart and Shattenkirk a brain.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What he "showed" is irrelevant if he doesn't care to put in the work into reaching that level again. And I don't think particularly highly of either player, I just think people are putting way too much stock into Comtois's 20-21 season

Actually, I think people aren't putting much stock in Comtois' 20-21 season and he did it under Eakins. That's the standard Comtois needed to reproduce close to, at, or surpass.

Here's the opening game day lineup for the 2021-22 season, found it on the GDT:

Comtois is on the top line with Getz and Terry for game 1. That dispels Eakins purposely made Comtois into a 4th liner. Quite the contrary, since being on the top line with Getz is a position to succeed. Terry succeeded that sesaon and Comtois didn't. Zegras succeeded too, on the second line, as he finished 2nd in voting for the Calder.

This year, both Terry and Z have maintained their scoring rate for the second season in a row under Eakins. Then we add McTavish into the mix of being productive on the score sheet as a 19-year old. All these youths are producing at a high rate while Comtois is still MIA. Why continue to blame the coach for Comtois' demotion when these other youths are producing well.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
More info on 6'6 LD Pulli from PittsburgHockeyNow.com:

Valtteri Pulli, 21, playing for TPS, will be a free agent next month. The 6-foot-6, 212-pound blue liner has 14 points (3-11-14) in 47 games in the SM-liiga (Finnish Elite League). He cannot sign with an NHL team until after the Finnish season concludes, which will be in mid-March.
32 Thought Podcast co-host Jeff Marek called the defenseman a late bloomer. He’s playing in an international tournament this weekend, which has brought plenty of scouts.
“…Kind of been turning heads all season long,” said Marek. “He’s playing this weekend at the BHG tournament, formerly the Swedish games … now a number of teams have shown interest but at varying degrees.”
Two years ago, reports listed him at 6-foot-4 and 183 pounds but have grown since NHL teams passed. Scouting reports show a smooth skater with some puck skills and strength on the wall, but not a flashy d-man.

Pulli was 6'4 at age 19 and popped up an additional two inches?! That's just crazy. It would be kismet if we were able to nab Pulli after being spurned by LD Thrun. C'mon, Verbeek, keep adding another dart. This one wouldn't cost any personnel or draft assets.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
More info on 6'6 LD Pulli from PittsburgHockeyNow.com:

Valtteri Pulli, 21, playing for TPS, will be a free agent next month. The 6-foot-6, 212-pound blue liner has 14 points (3-11-14) in 47 games in the SM-liiga (Finnish Elite League). He cannot sign with an NHL team until after the Finnish season concludes, which will be in mid-March.
32 Thought Podcast co-host Jeff Marek called the defenseman a late bloomer. He’s playing in an international tournament this weekend, which has brought plenty of scouts.
“…Kind of been turning heads all season long,” said Marek. “He’s playing this weekend at the BHG tournament, formerly the Swedish games … now a number of teams have shown interest but at varying degrees.”
Two years ago, reports listed him at 6-foot-4 and 183 pounds but have grown since NHL teams passed. Scouting reports show a smooth skater with some puck skills and strength on the wall, but not a flashy d-man.

Pulli was 6'4 at age 19 and popped up an additional two inches?! That's just crazy. It would be kismet if we were able to nab Pulli after being spurned by LD Thrun. C'mon, Verbeek, keep adding another dart. This one wouldn't cost any personnel or draft assets.
Why would he choose to come here out of all places... serious question lol We have unlimited D prospects and have no fun.... taxes are high.... we gonna lose every game...

I don't think we can keep using "Teemu" as a reason lol

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Why would he choose to come here out of all places... serious question lol We have unlimited D prospects and have no fun.... taxes are high.... we gonna lose every game...

There will be a lot of wishful thinking in the months to come. Part of the process I suppose.

Reactions: duckpuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Pulli will be turning 22 years old in about a month. The 2019 draft is probably his draft year and has spent four years developing. He's dabbled between the Finnish U20 league and men's league (Liiga) for a couple of seasons to hit his stride this season all in the Liiga. At 6'6 and 212 lbs, his body is NHL ready.

Out of all of our incoming d-men, Pulli is the only one who's played consistently in a men's league for the past three seasons.

Why choose to come here to Anaheim?
- So Cal, LA, the beaches, Disneyland, weather, etc ...​
- NHL opportunity + Anaheim needs better NHL talent yesterday​
- We've had a Finnish 6'6 D before in our system under Eakins, developed well, and now is part of a playoff team, Dallas.​
- Playing with the wizardry of Zegras, the stud Terry, Swiss-born McTavish, and the 2023 pick (Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, or Michkov... three years later). It's not a matter of if the Ducks will get better, but when the Ducks get better.​

Anaheim could start its NHL defensive nucleus as soon as next year with the trio of Drysdale, Pulli, and LaCombe seeing that we don't have much on our roster today.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Pulli will be turning 22 years old in about a month. The 2019 draft is probably his draft year and has spent four years developing. He's dabbled between the Finnish U20 league and men's league (Liiga) for a couple of seasons to hit his stride this season all in the Liiga. At 6'6 and 212 lbs, his body is NHL ready.

Out of all of our incoming d-men, Pulli is the only one who's played consistently in a men's league for the past three seasons.

Why choose to come here to Anaheim?
- So Cal, LA, the beaches, Disneyland, weather, etc ...​
- NHL opportunity + Anaheim needs better NHL talent yesterday​
- We've had a Finnish 6'6 D before in our system under Eakins, developed well, and now is part of a playoff team, Dallas.​
- Playing with the wizardry of Zegras, the stud Terry, Swiss-born McTavish, and the 2023 pick (Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, or Michkov... three years later). It's not a matter of if the Ducks will get better, but when the Ducks get better.​

Anaheim could start its NHL defensive nucleus as soon as next year with the trio of Drysdale, Pulli, and LaCombe seeing that we don't have much on our roster today.
I rather go somewhere with better opportunity and better chance of winning (capped contenders with top heavy D's)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I rather go somewhere with better opportunity and better chance of winning (capped contenders with top heavy D's)
Okay, Thrun, we all know your thoughts.

This is Pulli from Finland who went undrafted. Maybe this guy has aspirations to improve his team regardless where he's at, but he can only do that with opportunities on the ice than being buried. He'll that that chance with the Ducks. Again, he's played 3 years in a men's league and that experience should catapult him ahead of others, especially if it's his defense that's his forte.

Anyhow, it appears you didn't read my post completely again. Pulli could possibly help that winning culture come sooner since we already have stud forwards, talent in goal, but missing defense.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Okay, Thrun, we all know your thoughts.

This is Pulli from Finland who went undrafted. Maybe this guy has aspirations to improve his team regardless where he's at, but he can only do that with opportunities on the ice than being buried. He'll that that chance with the Ducks. Again, he's played 3 years in a men's league and that experience should catapult him ahead of others, especially if it's his defense that's his forte.

Anyhow, it appears you didn't read my post completely again. Pulli could possibly help that winning culture come sooner since we already have stud forwards, talent in goal, but missing defense.
There's no reason for him to sign here, no rumor of him being interested in us... which is not surprising. We suck and currently in some of the first years of a rebuild with the most stacked defensive prospect pool in the league.... A pipe dream for you I guess.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Comtois has at least some physical edge Leason is a soft nothing. Adds nothing no upside

Sure... once Comtois is able to catch up to whoever. But if you're content with paying over $2 mil for a forward with bricks in his skates as a 4th liner who can't chip in offensively nor on the PK, then I won't bother ya. Then again, maybe keeping Des for $1.75 mil, who skates better than Comtois, fights better than Comtois, player better defense than Comtois, plays on the PK (which Comtois does not), and can score similar to Comtois might be a far better option than defending Comtois, a player who doesn't show work ethic... which means Comtois isn't a team player.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Sure... once Comtois is able to catch up to whoever. But if you're content with paying over $2 mil for a forward with bricks in his skates as a 4th liner who can't chip in offensively nor on the PK, then I won't bother ya. Then again, maybe keeping Des for $1.75 mil, who skates better than Comtois, fights better than Comtois, player better defense than Comtois, plays on the PK (which Comtois does not), and can score similar to Comtois might be a far better option than defending Comtois, a player who doesn't show work ethic... which means Comtois isn't a team player.
Still has more upside than Leason by a country mile. Hopefully he'll thrive with an actual NHL coach if not he'll be a journeyman.... Penner 2.0

Reactions: Deuce22

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
There's no reason for him to sign here, no rumor of him being interested in us... which is not surprising. We suck and currently in some of the first years of a rebuild with the most stacked defensive prospect pool in the league.... A pipe dream for you I guess.
There weren't rumors of Vatrano, Klingberg, or Strome being interested in us either. Or Hakanpaa before we were in agreement, if you want to compare him to another Euro FA

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
There weren't rumors of Vatrano, Klingberg, or Strome being interested in us either. Or Hakanpaa before we were in agreement, if you want to compare him to another Euro FA
Hakanpaa came here when we were decent (atleast looked like a hockey team) and our cupboard was thinned (D prospects), not sure the comparison and the players you listed are borderline over the hill veterans trying to get long term paydays (call them retirement deals if you would like to set them up for their lives)... which also doesn't compare (also are forwards and our forward depth is borderline laughable). Klingberg signed a 1 year deal because this is the season we have no D men NHL ready and he thought he was going to get huge opportunity..... kind of back fired on him but yeah.

NATD

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

There's reasons for him to sign here, Thrun. Plenty of reasons, but you've already got your mind set, right, Thrun?

While there isn't any public rumor, who's to say we aren't in on a 21-year old 6'6 LD free agent, especially since we just were notified we're going to lose a 21-year old 6'2 LD to free agency. There's no harm in identifying an UDFA until he's signed.

As for our "most stacked defense", it's all potential right now. And we just lost one of those talents recently. We're hoping LaCombe can make the NHL jump next year. Minty and Zell need to learn how to play defense first in the AHL, which could take a year or two. Hinds is the only defensive D we have in our system of notable talent going to the pro side. Warren is years away and probably won't his his peak until age 23, which was intimated by Madden in a recent podcast.

Mod edit

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hakanpaa came here when we were decent (atleast looked like a hockey team) and our cupboard was thinned (D prospects), not sure the comparison and the players you listed are borderline over the hill veterans trying to get long term paydays (call them retirement deals if you would like to set them up for their lives)... which also doesn't compare (also are forwards and our forward depth is borderline laughable). Klingberg signed a 1 year deal because this is the season we have no D men NHL ready and he thought he was going to get huge opportunity..... kind of back fired on him but yeah.

Hakanpaa signed with the Ducks at the start of our first rebuild in 2019, where he played mostly in the AHL. COVID season, 2020-21, is when he played with the NHL club, when we finished 2nd in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder why Hakanpaa signed here in 2019 and Thrun decided not to in 2023.

Defensive prospect pool in 2019 voted by HFBoards

LD: Brenden Guhle RD: Josh Mahura

LD: Henry Thrun RD: Jackson LaCombe

LD: Simon Benoit RD: William Francis

vs.

Defensive prospect pool in 2023 (no order):
Drysdale
Mintyukov
Zellweger
LaCombe
Helleson
Warren
Luneau
Hinds
Moore
Andersson

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Defensive prospect pool in 2019 voted by HFBoards

LD: Brenden Guhle RD: Josh Mahura

LD: Henry Thrun RD: Jackson LaCombe

LD: Simon Benoit RD: William Francis

vs.

Now:
Drysdale
Mintyukov
Zellweger
LaCombe
Helleson
Warren
Luneau
Hinds
Moore
Andersson

FA Hakanpaa signing with the Ducks.

Odd. Did you forget we still had Lindholm and Manson with the 2019 club? We did trade for Gudbranson in early 2019 when Manson walked out in crutches early into the season. Anyhow, we started our rebuild at the 2018-19 TDL by trading away D Monty, finished with the 8th worst record.

2019 D-Prospects:
Larsson​
Guhle​
Benoit​
Mahura​
LaCombe (2019 draft)​
Thrun (2019 draft)​

We no longer have Lindholm nor Manson. We have Fowler and Drysdale as notables going into next season.

2022-23 D-Prospects
Andersson (not enough AHL games, too injury prone)​
Helleson (still needs another year in the AHL)​
LaCombe (AHL/NHL?)​
Zell (needs at least a year to develop D)​
Hinds (needs at least a year to adapt)​
Minty (needs at least year to develop D)​
Warren (a few years away from NHL)​
Luneau (a few years away from NHL, his skating explosion should return by then)​

Going to a playoff contender usually means there isn't an obvious path to the NHL. With Anaheim, there's an obvious pathway to the NHL. If Pulli's that talented, then he's ahead of the many of the prospects in Anaheim and has a direct path to the NHL.

Technically, we've had Benoit in our system since 2018-19 (AHL contract with the Gulls and Eakins as head coach of the Gulls). Benoit is a 6/7th defenseman. Andersson has been with the Gulls for three seasons and has been injury prone for the past two seasons. Helleson had three seasons in the NCAA, but that AHL jump appears to be a steeper jump for him.

Pulli's had three seasons in Liiga, has the height, and has the body to be NHL bound soon. He broke out this season in the Liiga, a men's league. Who cares if we have a potentially stacked d-corps, they're still unknowns as well as years away. If Pulli is that good, then that's one less NHL roster spot to worry about and more trade capital for the Ducks. If Verbeek can add another dart, a more mature dart, then that helps us out sooner than later, especially is his defense is his strong suit b/c we're missing defense at the NHL level.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He should definitely do the best thing for his NHL career and sign a 1 year deal here like Klingberg. Most definitely as a unknown, will build value and increase your likelihood of having a chance in the NHL. That's what we do around here these days.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Comtois has at least some physical edge Leason is a soft nothing. Adds nothing no upside

Who said anything nice about Leason. If anyone did regarding his hockey skills I would be surprised. Now, maybe, if he were physical he might be worth something. As for Comtois, I think it is a generally accepted position that he has been a disappointment for the last two years. I would let him go after this season for the money that we are paying him.

Reactions: bsu

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Who said anything nice about Leason. If anyone did regarding his hockey skills I would be surprised. Now, maybe, if he were physical he might be worth something. As for Comtois, I think it is a generally accepted position that he has been a disappointment for the last two years. I would let him go after this season for the money that we are paying him.
Someone made a statement about upside and the two of Comtois and Leason for some odd reason..... that's how Leason came up...

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Funny to me that people crap all over Leason but act like Comtois still has some upside. Leason is younger than Comtois
Leason is too soft for the NHL.

Big and soft is a combination the Ducks have enough of.

At best Comtois finds a way to get back to his 20-21 season. At worst hes a 4th liner with some bite.

Leasons ceiling is top 6 on a bad AHL/ Swiss league team.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsu

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Leason is too soft for the NHL.

Big and soft is a combination the Ducks have enough of.

At best Comtois finds a way to get back to his 20-21 season. At worst hes a 4th liner with some bite.

Leasons ceiling is top 6 on a bad AHL/ Swiss league team.
At worst it sends a message to the young kids coming up through the system that you can half-ass it and still make your way into our lineup just because you were/are highly regarded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad