GDT: 2023 Draft Lottery - 8PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVAS: Chicago #1, Anaheim #2, Columbus #3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I think it speaks more volumes to how you were worse than us, but I guess sitting guys like Gavrikov and other trade bait pieces for months could have helped tank your way lower than us
I have no idea who "us" is. Are you on an NHL team? BTW I didn't have anything to do with the team, so it's confusing when you say "you and us" and it's honestly somewhere between sad and funny that your identity is that wrapped up in a team that you really have nothing to do with.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’m glad he’s in the Western Conference.

But simply for the chaos it would bring I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing a sign and trade agreement of Matthews for Bedard. Chicago gets a superstar. Toronto gambles in trying to shake things up on a projected generational talent.

It would make for absolute insanity in offseason debates and I’d have a giant bowl of popcorn waiting.
Lol

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I'm talking about ciphering, Jethro. If this lottery was done as they claim, then it can't happen. They must have used a computer simulation ("Monte Carlo") with hundreds of samples, to recreate the odds.

Here are the odds for picks 4-11:

San Jose Sharks -- 9.5%
Montreal Canadiens -- 8.5%
Arizona Coyotes -- 7.5%
Philadelphia Flyers -- 6.5%
Washington Capitals -- 6.0%
Detroit Red Wings -- 5.0%
St. Louis Blues -- 3.5%
Vancouver Canucks -- 3.0%

These odds add up to 49% so roughly double them for this conversation.

The odds for San Jose to be 4th are 4-1 (1/0.19-1) against. So 4-1. The Montreal versus the rest is 25% or 3-1 against. 12-1 already. Arizona gives you 3-1 again. So 36-1. Philly again roughly 3-1. So 108-1. Wash 2-1 so 216-1. and on ...

Edit: Messed it up, others explained it better but yeah, it doesn't work at all like you think it does.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Idk you people take his word that everyone else knew all full details and were complicit in covering up including dragging our captain through the mud lmao
Toews walked himself into the mud and took a bath dawg.
Showing your true colors, too. Good on you.

• Haha
Reactions: Malaka

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Arizona loses their 1st and 2nd round picks for pre-draft testing. Chicago covers up a sexual assault and doesn't even get a slap on the wrist.

The Devils also lost their first round pick because they signed a player to a deal that was legal.

Got to sell the game to the Americans at all costs…

They won’t sell shit there.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I have no idea who "us" is. Are you on an NHL team? BTW I didn't have anything to do with the team, so it's confusing when you say "you and us" and it's honestly somewhere between sad and funny that your identity is that wrapped up in a team that you really have nothing to do with.
That’s one way to avoid the counter point. Imagine going after someone for phrasing while using BTW.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
That’s one way to avoid the counter point. Imagine going after someone for phrasing while using BTW.
I didn't really respond because I have no idea what team you are on. Equating a common acronym like BTW to pretending that you are part of a team is a stretch. So tell me, what team are you on? I seriously do not know what team you follow.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
That's not how it works at all though... A machine shuffle balls labelled 1 to 14. They pick 4 balls out and the number those balls make is the winning number. So let's say 12-8-11-3 comes out, that would be the winning number for lottery #1. 14x13x12x11 makes 24 024 different combinations. Considering Anaheim had 18.5% odds they get 4444 randomly generated codes vs Calgary at the lowest at 1.1% who would get 264 codes.

There are 1000 possibilities since the order of balls drawn doesn't matter. 11-12-13-14 is declared as re-draw.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
I knew Chicago would win. They want him in big market. Sucks they give to a team that traded all their best players to tank. At least I won myself $150

Reactions: G0AT

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That's not how it works at all though... A machine shuffle balls labelled 1 to 14. They pick 4 balls out and the number those balls make is the winning number. So let's say 12-8-11-3 comes out, that would be the winning number for lottery #1. 14x13x12x11 makes 24 024 different combinations. Considering Anaheim had 18.5% odds they get 4444 randomly generated codes vs Calgary at the lowest at 1.1% who would get 264 codes.

Order doesn't matter. 1-2-3-4 is the same as 3-4-1-2.

14x13x12x11 is the number of combinations if order does matter. The "n choose k" equation is:

98muH.png

14 factorial divided by (4 factorial * 10 factorial). Boils down to (14*13*12*11) divided by (4*3*2) = 1,001 aka 24,024 divided by 24.

As mentioned, the 11-12-13-14 combination gets ignored and the remaining 1,000 combinations are assigned. Anaheim having 18.5% odds means they were assigned 185 of the possible combinations. [/MathIsFun]

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I knew Chicago would win. They want him in big market. Sucks they give to a team that traded all their best players to tank. At least I won myself $150

Most bad teams in a rebuild trade their best veteran players to maximize the return on picks in order to bring in more high-end talent in the draft. Or am I missing something? :laugh:

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Idk you people take his word that everyone else knew all full details and were complicit in covering up including dragging our captain through the mud lmao
Wirtz scolded a reporter last year for asking him about the response to the allegations. I don't know what he knew, but he obviously doesn't care about the seriousness of the allegations or about preventing these things from happening in the future. The NHL should have put their 1st rounder that year at the end of the round, like they eventually did with NJ for the Kovalchuk contract, just for his response to the question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad