GDT: 2023 Draft Lottery - 8PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVAS: Chicago #1, Anaheim #2, Columbus #3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Here's a behind the scenes from the 2019 Draft: BLOG: Hugh Weber was the first to know

A lottery machine has balls with the numbers 1 through 14 on it. Four balls are drawn randomly and there are 1001 different possible combinations that the four balls can make. If a team like the Devils has an 11.5% chance of winning, that means that there are 115 different four-ball combinations which would result in a New Jersey victory.

"You can't keep track of them. It's not like you're playing bingo or anything," said Weber. "Then those numbers came up and it said 'first pick goes to New Jersey Devils.' You kind of want to jump out of your skin but you're sitting around the room with 15 of your other colleagues and don't want to rub it in their face."

All Weber could do then was sit and wait. And wait. And wait. The draw began at 7:30 p.m. but it wasn't announced to the public until close to 9:00 p.m.

"We sat there for about an hour and a half which was the longest hour and a half of my life but great day for the organization and our fans," he said, describing the thoughts that were going through his mind.

"It's a weird combination of emotions where you're super excited, you have this information and you want to start calling people but they've taken your phone, you want to start tweeting but they've taken your phone. You want to start sharing the good news but you can't."

CJV123

Feb 4, 2010
To get fans to watch, the NHL claimed a random drawing was involved for places 1-11. Instead, a computer simulation was employed from place 4 down ("Monte Carlo"), and the results from place 4-11 were identical to the ranked odds (of course). It is essentially mathematically impossible to have a single drawing align places 4-11 as this lottery did (odds probably 10,000-1 or greater).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bizzare

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
they don't give one single shit about even pretending this is on the up and up. Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if they've been pulling balls for a week just to get a good lottery video.
100 PERCENT bro. If they cared about how it looked, and have nothing to hide, they'd do it LIVE. If anyone is buying the notion that flipping over cards is so much more fun for the fans than a live drawing, then they about as dumb as rocks.

Jefe302

Oct 17, 2014
I’m glad he’s in the Western Conference.

But simply for the chaos it would bring I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing a sign and trade agreement of Matthews for Bedard. Chicago gets a superstar. Toronto gambles in trying to shake things up on a projected generational talent.

It would make for absolute insanity in offseason debates and I’d have a giant bowl of popcorn waiting.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Poor Bedard. He's going to a team that will be a bottom feeder for years... unless he leaves first chance he gets.
Yes, because one thing we have learned about franchise players is that they never win Stanley Cups after they are drafted to teams that aren't very good.
/s

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Poor Bedard. He's going to a team that will be a bottom feeder for years... unless he leaves first chance he gets.
The Hawks have the Defense but need a goaltender but need a boatload of Fowards to compete with the big boyz...perhaps they go hard at some of the UFA's since they will have tonnes of Cap Space with Kane and Toews 20 Million plus coming off the books

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I’m glad he’s in the Western Conference.

But simply for the chaos it would bring I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing a sign and trade agreement of Matthews for Bedard. Chicago gets a superstar. Toronto gambles in trying to shake things up on a projected generational talent.

It would make for absolute insanity in offseason debates and I’d have a giant bowl of popcorn waiting.
Why... seriously, why would Chicago ever do that? Just on age and contract alone....

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
I'm pretty sure you edited your post. It's all good carry on (I edited mine to btw. I spelled you're wrong)

I don't get why it's so bad that the Blackhawks "won the lottery"

That's all.
Maybe because it would have been nice if the gods punished them in some way for the Beach incident. On a more practical level, they shouldn’t have had Kane but were gifted that and it helped them win three cups. The universe has been nice enough to that franchise in the last 15-ish years.

Reactions: HTFN

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Not true Chicago has many contracts coming off the books next season with an influx of picks that should challenge for roster spots, plus the hawks will have tons of cap to acquire players via trade and free agency.

I’d say 2-3 years Chicago could become a legitimate contender with the right moves.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
To get fans to watch, the NHL claimed a random drawing was involved. Instead, a simulation was employed, using computers, ("Monte Carlo"), and the results from place 4-11 were identical to the odds (of course). It is mathematically impossible to have a drawing align places 4-11 as this lottery did.

Chicago had an 11.5% chance (115 out of 1000 combos) chance of winning #1.
Anaheim had a 20.9% chance (185/885 remaining combos) chance of winning #2

Any singular result would have a slim chance of happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad