2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
During the lottery if the wings get skipped when theyre announcing the picks, only to then have them pick second would be the wildest range of emotions. Getting number 2 would still be awesome and I'll take it all day but, that brief 2 minute period where Bedard is a real possibility would be a hard let down.

This is one of those drafts where it looks like theres actually a couple first overall types in a normal draft. In 2015 there was Eichel and Marner after McDavid who could go 1oa in a typical draft. I think this year will be the same thing. At 2, I would really hope the wings are getting a center. Carlsson might be down the line but that would be my hold up when you also have a stud like Fantilli right there as well
You are absolutely correct and I completely forgot that's how they did it lmao. Red wings don't get called and the baldy or gary say "this means the red wings get one of the top two picks". All I would think about is how to deploy bedard on our roster next year. Then be sad when we obviously wouldn't get 1st and we end up with 2nd?

That would be insane the range of emotions to go through lmao. Of course you can't be upset at end of the day, but still lol.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I like Fantilli a lot and have seen him play a decent amount. I have never seen Carlsson play a single game. So I'm not going to say I favor Fantilli because it would be baseless. I would be very confident with whatever path Yzerman and Hakan Andersson decide to take.

Reactions: Realgud and lilidk

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Carlsson-club member as well, imo ceiling is higher.
I have obviously seen Fantilli more, but if you got any clips to show how much better he is, would love to see them.

I just think Fantilli has a rough edge to him, which helps the goal scoring he can produce.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Carlsson-club member as well, imo ceiling is higher.

I've seen more of Carlsson than I have of Fantilli but I like both equally. I don't know if Carlsson's got a higher ceiling, but I do believe that both Fantilli and Carlsson could be 80+ point all stars.

Fantilli's skating and 2-way and physicality reminds me of Larkin on steroids. Even better shot. Even better offensive instincts. Non-stop hustle. He's going to wear a letter in the league.

Carlsson reminds me a lot of Evgeni Malkin or Mats Sundin as guys that are big, not overly physical but can still dart through gaps like a small guy and protect the puck on the half wall like a big guy.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
hypothetical: michkov is available at 4th and on that teams do not draft list (for arizona reasons), is the drw 2 1st round picks worth it to move up? how much more would be needed to draft michkov? or not worth the price?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Carlsson is doing a pretty unprecedented thing in the SHL at his age. Fantilli is doing a pretty unprecedented thing in the NCAA at his age.

I mean both are ridiculous good players to get at 2 or 3 in a draft. As I have said all year, I will gladly take whoever you think is worse there.

But yeah, people on here love them some Euro's. I do think Hakan would try his hardest to pound the table for Carlsson. Someone has posted a video of him saying how highly he speaks of him.

To me, and this is a bit lazy at this stage because I really have not had the time to dedicate to following as closely as I have in the past, but I'm at a point where you look at Marco Kasper and you're excited for him and what he brings to the table, Fantilli does more for me in literally every trait and aspect. Edit: and I don't mean slightly better, I mean like a different class.

We're looking at a case study of what would happen if you took all the things that make the Tkachuk brothers special and put it in the body of someone who has the means to excel at center.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
hypothetical: michkov is available at 4th and on that teams do not draft list (for arizona reasons), is the drw 2 1st round picks worth it to move up? how much more would be needed to draft michkov? or not worth the price?
Why wouldn’t Arizona want Michkov? They might actually have an arena by the time he comes over, and it would provide a good excuse to continue to rebuild.

Reactions: norrisnick

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
FCHockey mock draft has the Wings selecting Sale at 9, and Matthew Wood at 18:

The Detroit Red Wings continue to add highly skilled talent to their farm system with the addition of winger Eduard Sale. A real menace off the rush, Sale displays excellent puck handling to maneuver through defenders and get the puck past goalies. He’s a dangerous scorer in all fashions, as he whips laser beam wrist shots, but can also rip it with his snapshot or send it top net with his backhand. He shows great speed through long and powerful strides, and he’s also able to set up his teammates as he scans and reads the ice genuinely well. Sale possesses untapped potential as a top-six forward and would fit like a glove in the Red Wings’ group of young European players.

With their second pick of this round, the Red Wings select forward Matthew Wood, an imposing forward that plays a solid north-south game with great offensive tools. He excels at winning battles in corners thanks to his 6-foot-3 frame and his reach. He has soft hands in-tight that helps him feed his teammates with pinpoint accurate outlets. He’s also armed with a dangerous one-timer from the flank. Wood isn’t the quickest guy on the ice and may lack pace sometimes, but he has decent cruising speed. Besides that, he possesses the size, hands, shooting, and passing abilities to emerge as a top-nine forward, even maybe top-six if he improves his pace.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
The ongoing discussion about top3 is actually depressing to me. We're not going to be that lucky...

Btw I think Sale will be our first pick.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Too soft, but I would take him in the second round
Sale's pluses are passing, vision and hockey sense but his shot is not bad either, his minus is that he is weak defensively and very skinny and weak for his big frame, he needs some time in gym before he hits NHL, giving him one year in CHL would not hurt either. He would be great with Kasper, add in pure goalscorer and shit is going to get real really really quickly. His iq alone just screams elite playmaker, he is definitely project but his upside is immense. He is going to have similar development curve to Necas. I would pick him over guys like Yager, Dvorsky(very safe, but low offensive ceiling), Cristall(i dont like his skating) and Heidt(i like him most out of these guys).

Last edited:
Reactions: simonedvinsson

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
The ongoing discussion about top3 is actually depressing to me. We're not going to be that lucky...

Btw I think Sale will be our first pick.

Matthew Wood - 2023 NHL Draft Prospect Profile.

Decent writeup on Matthew Wood. I didn't know he was the first player since Toews to score at a point per game clip in the NCAA when starting the season at age 17. (just under a point per game to close the year)

Winter 2023 NHL Draft Rankings - Smaht Scouting

He's got really heavy boots but good hustle from what little I'm seeing in the clips. Good patience, creative with the puck and pretty good stickhandling. It's like he's a modern version of Jason Allison. He could stand to up his pace to be a more effective player.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He's got really heavy boots but good hustle from what little I'm seeing in the clips. Good patience, creative with the puck and pretty good stickhandling. It's like he's a modern version of Jason Allison. He could stand to up his pace to be a more effective player.
My take is that he's got a conditioning issue to address, but that his skating is not inherently awful. When I've seen him, his skating is almost always pretty good early in the shift. He just falls apart as it goes on.

I would be happy if they took him.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
FCHockey mock draft has the Wings selecting Sale at 9, and Matthew Wood at 18:

The Detroit Red Wings continue to add highly skilled talent to their farm system with the addition of winger Eduard Sale. A real menace off the rush, Sale displays excellent puck handling to maneuver through defenders and get the puck past goalies. He’s a dangerous scorer in all fashions, as he whips laser beam wrist shots, but can also rip it with his snapshot or send it top net with his backhand. He shows great speed through long and powerful strides, and he’s also able to set up his teammates as he scans and reads the ice genuinely well. Sale possesses untapped potential as a top-six forward and would fit like a glove in the Red Wings’ group of young European players.

With their second pick of this round, the Red Wings select forward Matthew Wood, an imposing forward that plays a solid north-south game with great offensive tools. He excels at winning battles in corners thanks to his 6-foot-3 frame and his reach. He has soft hands in-tight that helps him feed his teammates with pinpoint accurate outlets. He’s also armed with a dangerous one-timer from the flank. Wood isn’t the quickest guy on the ice and may lack pace sometimes, but he has decent cruising speed. Besides that, he possesses the size, hands, shooting, and passing abilities to emerge as a top-nine forward, even maybe top-six if he improves his pace.

There are a couple others I might prefer over Sale but I wouldn’t cry at all over Sale/Wood in the first round. Those two would be a boon to the offense.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Matthew Wood - 2023 NHL Draft Prospect Profile.

Decent writeup on Matthew Wood. I didn't know he was the first player since Toews to score at a point per game clip in the NCAA when starting the season at age 17. (just under a point per game to close the year)

Winter 2023 NHL Draft Rankings - Smaht Scouting

So, Getzlaf?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
My take is that he's got a conditioning issue to address, but that his skating is not inherently awful. When I've seen him, his skating is almost always pretty good early in the shift. He just falls apart as it goes on.

I would be happy if they took him.
Is he the youngest person in NCAA

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I've been trying to grapple with the idea that the Wings are interested in Samuel Honzek. I've seen a couple of games, and he's just been... okay. But those were all post-injury. Pronman ranks him really highly, so we could be talking about the 9th pick. And I just don't know how to feel about that.

I know people were super excited about him earlier in the year when he was putting up a ton of points, but... yeah. That's definitely not what I saw.
In the half dozen times I have watched him I think he has been great. He is skilled without being flashy and is really long and rangy with the puck. I didn't think he had any issues getting up and down the ice and anticipated the play well. He also wasn't afraid to take the puck to the middle which is super important to me.

That said, I am not sure I watched him after the WJC and have watched zero WHL playoff games for any team. 9 feels a tad rich for me. I could probably think of 9 guys I like better. 11-13 feels better though given I think he will take some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad