2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
In regards to Ras being a winger “in the future” - am I the only one who heard Ken Daniels mention during a mid-season broadcast that Yzerman himself sees Ras as a winger and that’s where he’s slated to stay? I keep seeing people classify Ras as a center or a possible center but it sounds like that ship has long sailed and the org now considers him a winger.
I haven't heard this before, but im glad to hear it that the org recognizes the situation. Since Ras was drafted as a center, it was understandable to try him as center and i see if can make it as one.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I haven't heard this before, but im glad to hear it that the org recognizes the situation. Since Ras was drafted as a center, it was understandable to try him as center and i see if can make it as one.

Yeah, and they did give him a healthy shot at center, but the way Daniels described it, the org think he’s better utilized as a winger.

If Kasper makes the team, I’d love to see Ras on his wing, possibly with Berggren eventually.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I've been trying to grapple with the idea that the Wings are interested in Samuel Honzek. I've seen a couple of games, and he's just been... okay. But those were all post-injury. Pronman ranks him really highly, so we could be talking about the 9th pick. And I just don't know how to feel about that.

I know people were super excited about him earlier in the year when he was putting up a ton of points, but... yeah. That's definitely not what I saw.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I've been trying to grapple with the idea that the Wings are interested in Samuel Honzek. I've seen a couple of games, and he's just been... okay. But those were all post-injury. Pronman ranks him really highly, so we could be talking about the 9th pick. And I just don't know how to feel about that.

I know people were super excited about him earlier in the year when he was putting up a ton of points, but... yeah. That's definitely not what I saw.
Where have you seen that the Wings are interested? As far as I've heard there's been no indication of who the Wings like yet.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Someone posted that Yzerman was at a Giants game within the last few weeks and he was the highest ranked player playing in the game.
It looks like he's ranked 9th by NHL Central Scouting for NA players, I wonder if Yzerman was just doing his due diligence or if there's legit interest?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
It looks like he's ranked 9th by NHL Central Scouting for NA players, I wonder if Yzerman was just doing his due diligence or if there's legit interest?
I was thinking he was interested in Honzek with the Isles 1st, or due diligence in case Honzek drops. I doubt they see him as the 9OA.

Yager is really turning it on for the playoffs. Good to see that kind of play in big games. I think he should be one of our targets at 9OA, along with Dvorsky, Moore, and Reinbacher.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Really ,why?
He fits the mold of what they seem to prefer. A talented youngster playing well above his age group and being very successful. Good size, excellent hockey IQ and highly skilled. Dont get me wrong, Fantilli is exciting as well, but watching him it seems like he makes his money through more will, effort and physicality vs the more cerebral, skilled play of Carlsson. I could be way off base but that's how I see it.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'd take Carlsson over Fantilli every day.
Yeah if we landed the 2OA, Carlsson is my pick. I think he’s probably Yzerman’s choice too. Carlsson has that puck hound in him, and has the makings of a solid 2-way game. There isn’t much separating Fantilli from Carlsson, but I just prefer the way Carlsson plays the game. Also think Carlsson’s game is more translatable.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah if we landed the 2OA, Carlsson is my pick. I think he’s probably Yzerman’s choice too. Carlsson has that puck hound in him, and has the makings of a solid 2-way game. There isn’t much separating Fantilli from Carlsson, but I just prefer the way Carlsson plays the game. Also think Carlsson’s game is more translatable.
Gimme #2 overall and sign me up for that first world problem of debating Carlson vs Fantilli. :D

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Like I said elsewhere, I think the interest in Honzek is because of the Isles pick. Outside of Pronman, most mocks have Honzek outside the top 12, usually like 15-32. McKenzie isn’t gospel but he has Honzek at 19 which seems more in line with the general perception of him. I wouldn’t worry about taking Honzek at 9.

As for Honzek himself, most times I’ve seen him he’s been on. I did see a shift-by-shift where he was less involved so maybe that’s what you’re referring to, but I wouldn’t say he has any concerns about motor or floating. He plays a very pro game but is still very raw yet still finds ways to contribute even when his team is a mess. He’s got a great stick, solid shot, and smooth skating for a kid his size. He’s a CHL/NA rookie too yet is a primary PKer already. Lots to like. He reminds me of what we hoped Mantha would be cause the size, skating, and skill set are similar but Honzek’s play away from the puck is better and he battles in a way Mantha didn’t. I see him as a winger, but he may be able to round into center form next year when he has more experience in NA.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If only... Wings pick #2 and Fantilli stays home

During the lottery if the wings get skipped when theyre announcing the picks, only to then have them pick second would be the wildest range of emotions. Getting number 2 would still be awesome and I'll take it all day but, that brief 2 minute period where Bedard is a real possibility would be a hard let down.

Gimme #2 overall and sign me up for that first world problem of debating Carlson vs Fantilli. :D

This is one of those drafts where it looks like theres actually a couple first overall types in a normal draft. In 2015 there was Eichel and Marner after McDavid who could go 1oa in a typical draft. I think this year will be the same thing. At 2, I would really hope the wings are getting a center. Carlsson might be down the line but that would be my hold up when you also have a stud like Fantilli right there as well

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
When was the last time a team traded down in the top 10? I think that tells you the answer

But when is the last time that Steve Yzerman had the chance to whisper sweet nothings into the ear of another GM picking in the top 10? That has to be worth something... like approximately 0.001 value points

Reactions: jkutswings

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm team Fantilli, but I've got more exposure to him so there could be some bias there.
Would be a nice problem to have choosing between those two.
It would be an awesome problem to have. I honestly don't know why players like that are even mentioned in this thread.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You can definitely sense the Euro bias that this forum has developed over recent years between the never dying praise of Hakan Andersson, the European posters, and the rise to fame of IceHockeyGifs.

I think the exposure to Fantilli is actually quite limited for a lot of posters here, despite him playing in Ann Arbor, and people don't realize exactly how good he is.

This probably sounds silly to some people, but as it relates to their status as prospects, I have Fantilli closer to Bedard than I have Carlsson to Fantilli.

That being said, none of them are likely to be options, so I won't hold my breath.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You can definitely sense the Euro bias that this forum has developed over recent years between the never dying praise of Hakan Andersson, the European posters, and the rise to fame of IceHockeyGifs.

I think the exposure to Fantilli is actually quite limited for a lot of posters here, despite him playing in Ann Arbor, and people don't realize exactly how good he is.

This probably sounds silly to some people, but as it relates to their status as prospects, I have Fantilli closer to Bedard than I have Carlsson to Fantilli.

That being said, none of them are likely to be options, so I won't hold my breath.
Carlsson is doing a pretty unprecedented thing in the SHL at his age. Fantilli is doing a pretty unprecedented thing in the NCAA at his age.

I mean both are ridiculous good players to get at 2 or 3 in a draft. As I have said all year, I will gladly take whoever you think is worse there.

But yeah, people on here love them some Euro's. I do think Hakan would try his hardest to pound the table for Carlsson. Someone has posted a video of him saying how highly he speaks of him.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Is it Euro bias or Euro preference? Cause Fantilli and Carlsson do not play the same game.

If anything, I think posters here have far more exposure to Fantilli than Carlsson, which could be driving some nitpicking of Fantilli. I go to Michigan games, I’ve seen Fantilli live and on TV. Is he a stud? Absolutely. Is he on Carlsson’s level? Absolutely. I just prefer the game Carlsson plays to Fantilli.

Ultimately I’m with Frk here. If we land the 2nd overall, I’d gladly take whoever is less preferred. It’s a can’t-lose proposition.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Really ,why?
I can only see that they would do that because of the swedish component. I probably won't be overly upset because of the different choice; however, I would be 100% having some serious FOMO every time Fantili scores, does a great play, etc. But if Carlsson can play the same way and it is just a wash, I'll be fine.

But I really need Fantilli at this point to be okay from all of the draft bs we have gotten the last 5 or so years.

Reactions: lilidk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad