2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don’t think he’s got that nastiness.

He looks like a good prospect but it’s kind of hard to gauge how high end he is. There isn’t that much footage from his UCONN season online.
I think you really need to make peace with his skating if you want to take him (even with that NYI pick). He clearly lacks explosiveness (which is very common for tall kids his age) but I think he could stand to improve his forward stride as well. The offensive skill, intelligence and hands are all really, really good. For every Jason Robertson, however, there is a long line of AHLers with this profile. His production is very, very good for a player his age in Hockey East.

Reactions: lilidk

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
omg i didn't see carlsson for the first 10 picks on the left and was like wtf!??!?!

Didn't read the top :facepalm:

Honestly...in regards to Sale, I'm kind of done with Czech and slovakia players on the red wings. They just don't seem to pan out with us for the past few years.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I think you really need to make peace with his skating if you want to take him (even with that NYI pick). He clearly lacks explosiveness (which is very common for tall kids his age) but I think he could stand to improve his forward stride as well. The offensive skill, intelligence and hands are all really, really good. For every Jason Robertson, however, there is a long line of AHLers with this profile. His production is very, very good for a player his age in Hockey East.

That's kind of what worries me about him to be honest. You can always project a player with good skating to become a player of some kind. But if they're below average then it's a total crapshoot as to whether they can translate their skills up or if they end up just a good minor leaguer.

That said, if the Wings pick him with the NYI 1st then I hope they have a solid development plan for him to get his skating up to snuff. The rest of the skillset look strong in the highlights.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That's kind of what worries me about him to be honest. You can always project a player with good skating to become a player of some kind. But if they're below average then it's a total crapshoot as to whether they can translate their skills up or if they end up just a good minor leaguer.

That said, if the Wings pick him with the NYI 1st then I hope they have a solid development plan for him to get his skating up to snuff. The rest of the skillset look strong in the highlights.
I think the potential outcomes are pretty binary with him. He will either be really good or won't play in the NHL. I feel the exact same way about Cristall FWIW.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think the potential outcomes are pretty binary with him. He will either be really good or won't play in the NHL. I feel the exact same way about Cristall FWIW.
His floor is much higher than Cristall , Wood has problem with first step, but that's about it.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Central Scouting released their final ranking, some interesting takes in there:

This would put Benson right in our wheelhouse.
Interesting to see if other rankings start to shuffle Benson down a few spots.

Ranking are a little premature with CHL playoffs only in 2nd round and U18 still to come. But understandable considering the purpose of the publication.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
omg i didn't see carlsson for the first 10 picks on the left and was like wtf!??!?!

Honestly...in regards to Sale, I'm kind of done with Czech and slovakia players on the red wings. They just don't seem to pan out with us for the past few years.
As painfull as it is for me to say this as a czech red wing fan, this is pretty much true. I think that problem in with griffins trying to make everyone two way forward instead of improving strengths. EDIT: also long time shitty scouting is not czechoslovak problem either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Central Scouting released their final ranking, some interesting takes in there:

That list is super thin on defensemen in the top 20 for both EU and NA. That makes me worried that Willander goes in the late 1st or early 2nd before we get to pick.

Also glad to see Felix Nilsson move up the lists. 24 euro makes me confident that he could be one of our 2nd round selections. Seeing Brindley as 23 NA also makes me confident he'll be available between NYI's 1st and Detroit's 3 2nds.

Most important is Reinbacher as #5 Euro! Now I don't feel so crazy for claiming he's the best defenseman in the draft since back in December.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Matthew wood seems too high.

Yager seems about 3-5 spots below where it seems like he should be. I wonder if this is more tiered based and less about actual ranking, ore relative ranking.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
This would put Benson right in our wheelhouse.
Interesting to see if other rankings start to shuffle Benson down a few spots.

Ranking are a little premature with CHL playoffs only in 2nd round and U18 still to come. But understandable considering the purpose of the publication.
I don't see why Benson would slip. If we can get him I'd be so stoked.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Hronek was success. I wish we had Chara and we keep longer Hossa. Imagine Pasternak with Bert and Larkin on the same line. We just were not lucky with Zadina and Vrana, that is all. Kubalik is decent bottom six player, for right price I would keep him.

Reactions: Frk It

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Jayden Perron not even in the top 32 for NA prospects?

That's kind of a strange one for me because I think he's better than former Chicago Steel player Mackie Samoskevich was in his draft year but not quite as good as Matt Coronato who was a mid 1st the same year. The problem is the dude is 5'8". (He looks bigger on the ice)

If Brindley is gone and we're looking for skill, size be damned, then Perron is a great value pick in the 2nd. I don't like that he's going to North Dakota though. I would prefer any pick we making that's going the NCAA route to go to one of the colleges we've had our prospects go through lately (Denver, Michigan, BU whose program is becoming good again)

Matthew wood seems too high.

Yager seems about 3-5 spots below where it seems like he should be. I wonder if this is more tiered based and less about actual ranking, ore relative ranking.

Reading about Wood, he's done something that is incredibly rare for someone his age in the NCAA. Scoring 34 points in 35 games while starting the season as an underage freshman will raise his value quite a bit.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Hronek was success. I wish we had Chara and we keep longer Hossa. Imagine Pasternak with Bert and Larkin on the same line. We just were not lucky with Zadina and Vrana, that is all. Kubalik is decent bottom six player, for right price I would keep him.
chara, pastrnak, yeah these guys are great, but 1. we've never had them and 2. it has been quite a long time since Hossa has been here.

Yeah I like Kubalik, but it really doesn't seem like Lalonde does because he isn't being utilized correctly on most nights. Hronek, I was never a big fan of and have posted about him before on these forums as to why, but yeah he did great in the beginning of this season, but he came back to form the weeks preceding his trade.

Reactions: lilidk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad