2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
As painfull as it is for me to say this as a czech red wing fan, this is pretty much true. I think that problem in with griffins trying to make everyone two way forward instead of improving strengths. EDIT: also long time shitty scouting is not czechoslovak problem either.
i don't blame the players, I mean, it is all scouting, obviously. I think holland rushed to get zadina because he was supposed to go 3rd or w.e and he kept slipping, but he didn't take into account that we had zero defensive prospects that were worth anything. He saw a player that should have gone higher and just went to it.

I know people say its a bad movie, but the kevin costner movie draft day illustrates why some players start moving down in the draft when they were the consensus no.1. Yes, it's a movie and not real, but you can make an argument that this is a real scenario (ala zadina, veleno?). At some point, you have to pause and think did we miss something on our scouting with zadina?

He was touted as the next amazing sniper, yet he fell in the draft. Why not pick the player that you had to of scouted because he was in your back yard for a very long time (q hughes) and was a red wing fan, went to michigan, had expressed interest in playing for his childhood team. I get that it would be an emotional pick, but it was the right pick to make at that time (considering our available choices and org. need).

Reactions: lilidk

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That's kind of a strange one for me because I think he's better than former Chicago Steel player Mackie Samoskevich was in his draft year but not quite as good as Matt Coronato who was a mid 1st the same year. The problem is the dude is 5'8". (He looks bigger on the ice)

If Brindley is gone and we're looking for skill, size be damned, then Perron is a great value pick in the 2nd. I don't like that he's going to North Dakota though. I would prefer any pick we making that's going the NCAA route to go to one of the colleges we've had our prospects go through lately (Denver, Michigan, BU whose program is becoming good again)

Reading about Wood, he's done something that is incredibly rare for someone his age in the NCAA. Scoring 34 points in 35 games while starting the season as an underage freshman will raise his value quite a bit.
You don't want a player to go to NoDak? WTF?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
You don't want a player to go to NoDak? WTF?

I'm not saying it's a bad program. I'm just saying we've had good luck with other programs like Denver. It's preference, not a diss.

EDIT: Just remembered that our boys Dylan James and Cooper Moore are there. :eek3:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Why not pick the player that you had to of scouted because he was in your back yard for a very long time (q hughes) and was a red wing fan, went to michigan, had expressed interest in playing for his childhood team.

You say this like the Wings opted for some unscouted player.

Also, Quinn was born in Florida and grew up in Toronto when his dad was an employee of the Maple Leafs. He played for the Toronto Marlboros for a few years before joining the USNTDP. Jack has outwardly stated that his favorite team was the Leafs.

This is where blinded homerism goes wrong. You've created a narrative that quite simply doesn't exist.

Quinn Hughes may have proven to be the better player, but there is no emotional tie between Quinn and the Red Wings organization that was being ignored.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Pretty wide range of opinions on that kid. He was #50 on Bob's mid-season list.

The other one I see a big range of opinions on is Simashev.
Can’t remember where I saw it but one publication has Lardis at like 15, which puts his range at like 15-50. I’m intrigued by Lardis and hope he’s there with one of our picks in the 40s but I think he’ll be taken sooner if he has a good U18 tourney.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
You say this like the Wings opted for some unscouted player.

Also, Quinn was born in Florida and grew up in Toronto when his dad was an employee of the Maple Leafs. He played for the Toronto Marlboros for a few years before joining the USNTDP. Jack has outwardly stated that his favorite team was the Leafs.

This is where blinded homerism goes wrong. You've created a narrative that quite simply doesn't exist.

Quinn Hughes may have proven to be the better player, but there is no emotional tie between Quinn and the Red Wings organization that was being ignored.
see, this is why we shouldn't believe things on the message boards of a hockey forum.

I stand corrected you ken holland wannabe :bow:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
i don't blame the players, I mean, it is all scouting, obviously. I think holland rushed to get zadina because he was supposed to go 3rd or w.e and he kept slipping, but he didn't take into account that we had zero defensive prospects that were worth anything. He saw a player that should have gone higher and just went to it.

I know people say its a bad movie, but the kevin costner movie draft day illustrates why some players start moving down in the draft when they were the consensus no.1. Yes, it's a movie and not real, but you can make an argument that this is a real scenario (ala zadina, veleno?). At some point, you have to pause and think did we miss something on our scouting with zadina?

He was touted as the next amazing sniper, yet he fell in the draft. Why not pick the player that you had to of scouted because he was in your back yard for a very long time (q hughes) and was a red wing fan, went to michigan, had expressed interest in playing for his childhood team. I get that it would be an emotional pick, but it was the right pick to make at that time (considering our available choices and org. need).
To piggyback this point...

If Detroit had picked Hughes, would they have still drafted Seider?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

They’re wildly different players who also play different positions and Yzerman himself admitted that they tried to trade back to draft Seider. He wasn’t seen as a 6OA by others, yet they still took him without being able to trade back, which suggests he was BPA on their board at 6….so why would they pass on drafting what they saw as the BPA? Cause they had a small, fast offensive LHD in the system? Will the Wings pass on drafting a center this year cause they drafted one last year? Of course not.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Good question, I like Zegras at the moment, but Yzerman got crazy drafting defenseman that draft and who knows Hughes probably was not enough for him especially like we see he likes big ones

Yager collecting points in the playoffs, should he be our Bertuzzi replacement?

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I think the 9th will come down to if Reinbacher is available. If, for some reason he hasn't been taken, it seems like he should be and could be the pick. If Reinbacher goes before 9, that likely leaves Oliver Moore, Ryan Leonard, Eduard Sale, Brayden Yager, Andrew Cristall, Matthew Wood.

If Reinbacher is gone, that is a great list to pick from.

The later 1st is weird, so many players could go in that spot. I see a serious possibility where we trade back and pick up another pick with a later 1st, say St. Louis or Nashville.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yager's playoffs have been REALLY impressive. Love when a player can elevate his game when it matters. He's got a huge bump on my list. I get that the regular season scoring went down but he's really developed his playmaking game. He's a guy that seems to be constantly improving and tinkering with his game. Love seeing that in a prospect.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Yager collecting points in the playoffs, should he be our Bertuzzi replacement?
I see Ras and Mazur as Bert's replacements. You don't see Yager as a center in NHL? I would like to add a righthanded center in the system. Niederbach is the only righty in the system and his chances making to the NHL as a center are slim.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
omg i didn't see carlsson for the first 10 picks on the left and was like wtf!??!?!

Didn't read the top :facepalm:

Honestly...in regards to Sale, I'm kind of done with Czech and slovakia players on the red wings. They just don't seem to pan out with us for the past few years.
I mean, last 15 years or so .... Only 4 Slovaks played in Detroit - Hossa, Kopecky, Tatar and Jurco. Only one player on this list is a bust - Jurco. And there is a reason why he didn't pan out - chronic back problems + not ideal development imo.

Reactions: wings95

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I see Ras and Mazur as Bert's replacements. You don't see Yager as a center in NHL? I would like to add a righthanded center in the system. Niederbach is the only righty in the system and his chances making to the NHL as a center are slim.
I have no idea if he will be center or wing , I will be happy if we take him at #9 . We need more those kind of players

Reactions: SantosHalper

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He is too small to play center in the NHL. If a prospect is 5'10" or under you should presume that he will be bumped to the wing in the pro game even if he plays center in juniors or in Europe. People keep acting like size doesn't matter, but it does with respect to the center position. The list of bona fide, full-time centers in the NHL that are 5'10 or under is super short.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

Honestly, I still think they would have because Hughes wouldn't have fixed our team. And we wouldn't have fallen in the draft that much while Seider was considered a mid to late 1st round pick and if we were picking, let's say, 10th (conservative), I firmly believe he would have still been there.

Hughes being a 6th rd pick, I don't think holland would have allowed him to be on the main roster anyways, at least not in the beginning, because holland gonna holland. If that was the case, he would have come on the team later in the year, but not make a big enough impact where we would fall out of bottom 10.

Now, you could say with the addition of now seider and hughes, what could have happened and would we have drafted raymond, edvinsson, etc. I think we may have gotten raymond but I don't see Edvinsson being on the team.

Butterfly effect always messes with me.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Honestly, I still think they would have because Hughes wouldn't have fixed our team. And we wouldn't have fallen in the draft that much while Seider was considered a mid to late 1st round pick and if we were picking, let's say, 10th (conservative), I firmly believe he would have still been there.

Hughes being a 6th rd pick, I don't think holland would have allowed him to be on the main roster anyways, at least not in the beginning, because holland gonna holland. If that was the case, he would have come on the team later in the year, but not make a big enough impact where we would fall out of bottom 10.

Now, you could say with the addition of now seider and hughes, what could have happened and would we have drafted raymond, edvinsson, etc. I think we may have gotten raymond but I don't see Edvinsson being on the team.

Butterfly effect always messes with me.

Hughes being selected in 2018 wouldn't have impacted the team in the standings in 2018-19 when Seider was selected. Hughes didn't play a full(ish) season until the 2019-20 season

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Hughes being selected in 2018 wouldn't have impacted the team in the standings in 2018-19 when Seider was selected. Hughes didn't play a full(ish) season until the 2019-20 season
and even then, our 2019-2020 team was so bad that maybe we would of still gotten screwed out of the #1 pick and got 4th anyways to get raymond. Only question is would we have gotten edvinsson the next year. If we would have....oh man

seider - hughes
edvinsson -

That's a hell of a top 3 without including walman.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
He is too small to play center in the NHL. If a prospect is 5'10" or under you should presume that he will be bumped to the wing in the pro game even if he plays center in juniors or in Europe. People keep acting like size doesn't matter, but it does with respect to the center position. The list of bona fide, full-time centers in the NHL that are 5'10 or under is super short.
Are you talking about 6'0" Brayden Yager?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
and even then, our 2019-2020 team was so bad that maybe we would of still gotten screwed out of the #1 pick and got 4th anyways to get raymond. Only question is would we have gotten edvinsson the next year. If we would have....oh man

seider - hughes
edvinsson -

That's a hell of a top 3 without including walman.

Hughes is 100% not an Yzerman defenseman. Small and leaning much more heavily towards offense than defense. If anything I could see Yzerman using him as a very valuable trade chip.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Are you talking about 6'0" Brayden Yager?
no the other one :sarcasm:

Hughes is 100% not an Yzerman defenseman. Small and leaning much more heavily towards offense than defense. If anything I could see Yzerman using him as a very valuable trade chip.
I can see that, but i would think yzerman would still keep him because of the offense he would have provided. Walman isn't exactly huge like the other trees but he has the offensive upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad