2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm not sure he will

I believe he loaded up with those picks as the draft is deep and he wants to draft and build an even deeper prospect pool.

Now perhaps he would move Bostons 2024 1st rd pick for an immediate impact player but that player would need to be under 24 to be worth it
Why did Yzerman traded Hronek, pretty sure not for using those pics to get another RD defenseman. He has plenty money to get some talent in free agency.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm not sure he will

I believe he loaded up with those picks as the draft is deep and he wants to draft and build an even deeper prospect pool.

Now perhaps he would move Bostons 2024 1st rd pick for an immediate impact player but that player would need to be under 24 to be worth it
I think he loaded up on them simply because they are assets of value that may be converted into current players via trade or future players via the draft.

Personally, I don't expect us to make all 5 of those picks even though I appreciate that trades require two parties. I am not convinced you should be looking to solely build through the draft at this point. If you are, I would ask why you bothered to sign Larkin this summer.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Too many individual responses so I'll say this... SY did not trade Hronek and Bertuzzi to then trade those acquired picks on just anyone.. not a chance.

Yes if a team, a dance partner, has a top flight under 24 year old guy sigbed or signing for less than Larkin let's remember, available for trade I too can see SY packaging a 1st plus to acquire them.

But short of that and those criteria...nope

PLD is a basket case. He does not fit what SY is trying to build.

I fully expect us to make either 5 picks in the top 40 or 6 picks in the top 64(that's right..I can see him moving 1 for 2 later picks).

He will use FA to acquire some depth and experience, maybe some grit(larkin identified the need as well) and maybe a veteran back up..

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
It's a fair point, but I guess it's a combination of high expectations and small samples coloring my view.
Not that point watching is a good thing but it's fair to have high expectations for production from players in juniors. Yager's production was underwhelming. I do like how he consistently added elements to his game though and this playoff boom is really good to see.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
With 17 days to go to the NHL draft lottery, here is a picture of my favorite #17 to wear the winged wheel during my lifetime, Doug Brown. His NY grit was real and he worked his ass off every shift. Sucks his son was traded to the Sens, I want Stevie to sign him as a depth piece this offseason. In any event, May 8th cannot come soon enough. Then the countdown for June 28 begins.

1682082544355.png

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
With 17 days to go to the NHL draft lottery, here is a picture of my favorite #17 to wear the winged wheel during my lifetime, Doug Brown. His NY grit was real and he worked his ass off every shift. Sucks his son was traded to the Sens, I want Stevie to sign him as a depth piece this offseason. In any event, May 8th cannot come soon enough. Then the countdown for June 28 begins.

View attachment 693247
Ok, I'll give another 17 some love here too. One awesome cup run, returning home and then retiring after raising the cup. There has been some legendary play from 17s in Detroit playoff history

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Was not thrilled with some of what I saw from Hunter Brzustewicz in the London series.

His edge work and change of direction did not look strong. He seemed stiff at the waist for a guy who is more a of mid size (maybe smaller) defenseman.
Also noticed he made some very puzzling decisions defensively.

I would personally move him down my rankings a bit and don’t like the idea of using one of our 2nd round picks on him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Taking for granted that Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith, and Benson are off the board, I think Barlow is the stand-out to me for the *9th pick at this stage.

Perreault at #18 would be really nice, feel like he probably goes a little bit before that.

I don't expect us to go this route, but I'd trade both firsts to move up for Smith or Benson. To me they're a clear notch above the next group.

Don't think I've ever wanted to win one of the lottery picks as badly as I do this year. No one in our range gets my blood pumping the way guys like say Zegras or Cozens did in this same range back in '19.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Taking for granted that Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith, and Benson are off the board, I think Barlow is the stand-out to me for the *9th pick at this stage.

Perreault at #18 would be really nice, feel like he probably goes a little bit before that.

I don't expect us to go this route, but I'd trade both firsts to move up for Smith or Benson. To me they're a clear notch above the next group.

Don't think I've ever wanted to win one of the lottery picks as badly as I do this year. No one in our range gets my blood pumping the way guys like say Zegras or Cozens did in this same range back in '19.
I don’t see this gap with Smith/Benson to trade up for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad