2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
U18 is coming next month and it will change lots of things. At the moment outside top five I see about 20 guys we should target with our first 2picks. I expect Yzerman will trade up.
If I draft today I d get Leonard and Musty in the first round

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
This makes me feel so much better about our North American scouting. And of course Stevie freaking Yzerman as our GM. Hakan's legend grows, which I frankly thought was impossible. We're lucky he stuck around when he was being badly underutilized during the Holland era. That indicates he has very little ego which is surprising and awesome given how good he is at his job.

He mentioned in an other interview I saw that he had offers from both Jim Nill and Ken Holland to tag along to Dallas and Edmonton if he wanted to.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
I wonder how has that North American drafting gone so much better on latest years....

Suddenly there's also great Draper-picks! ;)

Håkan deserves a statue on LCA, some day.

Laughed for that nickname "Sly". :D Does that mean Stallone?
Sly as in like mysterious, hard to read etc.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This makes me feel so much better about our North American scouting. And of course Stevie freaking Yzerman as our GM. Hakan's legend grows, which I frankly thought was impossible. We're lucky he stuck around when he was being badly underutilized during the Holland era. That indicates he has very little ego which is surprising and awesome given how good he is at his job.
Hakan is extremely overrated around these parts. If he is now solely responsible for cross-over scouting, I think we should just can the rest of the scouting staff (i.e. "synergies") and employ him as our sole scout. Then everyone we take will be a "Hakan Pick."

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You seem well versed and informed. Assuming we stay at our current draft position; is there a player better than Larkin in terms of scoring available?

And what’s your outlook on Kaper? Cuz I think he’ll provide Larkin like value at best. Form what I’ve seen I think of him more like a 60pts guy with good forechecking and some snarl. But haven’t seen him much.
Someone who will score more goals? Probably, but I can't say with any certainty who that is. I think Kasper could develop into a player who is roughly similar in quality to Larkin, although I think his game is slightly different.
If we walked away with a solid top-six forward at 8 or 9, I would be happy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hakan is extremely overrated around these parts. If he is now solely responsible for cross-over scouting, I think we should just can the rest of the scouting staff (i.e. "synergies") and employ him as our sole scout. Then everyone we take will be a "Hakan Pick."

Andersson pretty much shares his view, and our other scouts will learn from him, etc. That's what Directors do.

He is the most important man on the scouting staff, for sure. Has always been. Picks are maybe not from him, but he has overall impact there.

Håkan Andersson can never be overrated. Never. His track record is just insane.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Andersson pretty much shares his view, and our other scouts will learn from him, etc. That's what Directors do.

He is the most important man on the scouting staff, for sure. Has always been. Picks are maybe not from him, but he has overall impact there.

Håkan Andersson can never be overrated. Never. His track record is just insane.
Like I said, overrated. He is a good, above-average scout but far from a demigod. His recent track record looks pretty ordinary to be honest unless we want to argue he alone strong-armed the brass into taking Edvinsson, Seider and Raymond (three EXTREMELY well-known draft eligibles).

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Like I said, overrated. He is a good, above-average scout but far from a demigod. His recent track record looks pretty ordinary to be honest unless we want to argue he alone strong-armed the brass into taking Edvinsson, Seider and Raymond (three EXTREMELY well-known draft eligibles).
Seider was anything but well-known his draft year.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What the f*** are you talking about? Everyone on his board knew who he was. Don't tell me a player isn't well known when every public scout has him ranked in the first round.

Welcome to 2023. No player is truly hidden anymore.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Yeah players don't go in the first round, let alone the top 10 without every single amateur scout and team executive knowing about him.

You can argue that people didn't know who he was going to become, but they knew who he was. And we've heard enough from Draper that Seider really wasn't a Hakan bang the table guy. Multiple people in the organization loved him as a prospect. So it wouldn't change the fact that Hakan isn't solely responsible for him being drafted.

The two recent top Swedes, maybe, but again, talking about top 10, damn near lottery picks. That isn't Hakan going on a whim.

The players who might be true Hakan called his shot picks are Johansson, Wallinder, and Berggren. And while exciting, they haven't entered the realm of being anything more than middle of the pack NHL players.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Button has some unique insights often but his rankings are a bit erratic. He’s not as good as Bob McKenzie but I still respect his work more than Wheeler.

Button is Wheeler and Wheeler is Button. Neither of them are completely incorrect, both have opinions worth listening to help fully establish the picture of a prospect.

To me they both develop soft spots for players early and have a hard time shaking their first impressions and end up overrating them through the entire draft process. Or, they don't subscribe to the same thinking that others have when they see high end NHL traits and continue to undersell prospects for things that are hard to argue.

It took really until Seider made it into the NHL before Button stopped calling him Brandon Carlo.

What you have in Wheeler and Button are two guys that get set aside their biases. It's okay to have favorites, but when you cover prospects, you can't be unwilling to see trends or areas you went astray.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Button is Wheeler and Wheeler is Button. Neither of them are completely incorrect, both have opinions worth listening to help fully establish the picture of a prospect.

To me they both develop soft spots for players early and have a hard time shaking their first impressions and end up overrating them through the entire draft process. Or, they don't subscribe to the same thinking that others have when they see high end NHL traits and continue to undersell prospects for things that are hard to argue.

It took really until Seider made it into the NHL before Button stopped calling him Brandon Carlo.

What you have in Wheeler and Button are two guys that get set aside their biases. It's okay to have favorites, but when you cover prospects, you can't be unwilling to see trends or areas you went astray.
I mean, Button has years of being employed by NHL teams as a scout and GM.

People like to shit on him when he strays from the consensus, but he has pretty legit credentials. And if you listen to him talk about the reasoning for his rankings they usually make sense. Also people don’t realize how much each teams draft board differs and look at any difference of opinions as criminal.

The Wings deserve a ton of credit for their projection on Seider, but he was not a guy showing offense like that in his draft year playing a limited role in the DEL.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I mean, Button has years of being employed by NHL teams as a scout and GM.

People like to shit on him when he strays from the consensus, but he has pretty legit credentials. And if you listen to him talk about the reasoning for his rankings they usually make sense. Also people don’t realize how much each teams draft board differs and look at any difference of opinions as criminal.

The Wings deserve a ton of credit for their projection on Seider, but he was not a guy showing offense like that in his draft year playing a limited role in the DEL.

None that really changes my point though. It's still true that they develop unwavering opinions on certain players that don't die easily. They are both worth listening to and trying to see their perspective to build up an entire profile of various prospects.

It's not that either of them are wrong for having differing opinions, it's how they continue to justify them despite more information becoming available.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
None that really changes my point though. It's still true that they develop unwavering opinions on certain players that don't die easily. They are both worth listening to and trying to see their perspective to build up an entire profile of various prospects.

It's not that either of them are wrong for having differing opinions, it's how they continue to justify them despite more information becoming available.
I value what he has to say much more than Wheeler, but to each their own.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I value what he has to say much more than Wheeler, but to each their own.

Maybe in a sense that he comes from a background of an NHL organization and values that may align more with what other GMs are thinking, but in terms of identifying attributes and skill sets and knowing what works in the NHL...yeah there just isn't a difference in my eyes.

Unless the eyes belong to MBH, I believe that most people with enough viewings and a basic grasp on what things *should* look like in a good prospect, they can come to many similar conclusions. How you weight something obviously becomes the biggest point of disagreement.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
What the f*** are you talking about? Everyone on his board knew who he was. Don't tell me a player isn't well known when every public scout has him ranked in the first round.

Welcome to 2023. No player is truly hidden anymore.
lol, there's a difference between knowing a guys name and knowing a guys game. Youre telling me that this whole board caught even a single game of Seider's in the german league. Im willing to bet most of this have never watched a DEL match in their life. Seider was projective everywhere as a 2nd rounder to mid 1st round pick. Not a potential top 10 pick. So no there still are players that do go under the radar.

Reactions: DamonDRW

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Yeah players don't go in the first round, let alone the top 10 without every single amateur scout and team executive knowing about him.

You can argue that people didn't know who he was going to become, but they knew who he was. And we've heard enough from Draper that Seider really wasn't a Hakan bang the table guy. Multiple people in the organization loved him as a prospect. So it wouldn't change the fact that Hakan isn't solely responsible for him being drafted.

The two recent top Swedes, maybe, but again, talking about top 10, damn near lottery picks. That isn't Hakan going on a whim.

The players who might be true Hakan called his shot picks are Johansson, Wallinder, and Berggren. And while exciting, they haven't entered the realm of being anything more than middle of the pack NHL players.
i honestly think yzerman should get most of the credit for the seider pick, i remember some tweets of yzerman going over to germany himself. Of course Seider was well scouted within the Wings org, but definitely by the reaction the wings got after picking seider on draft day he was an off the board under the radar going out on a limb pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe in a sense that he comes from a background of an NHL organization and values that may align more with what other GMs are thinking, but in terms of identifying attributes and skill sets and knowing what works in the NHL...yeah there just isn't a difference in my eyes.

Unless the eyes belong to MBH, I believe that most people with enough viewings and a basic grasp on what things *should* look like in a good prospect, they can come to many similar conclusions. How you weight something obviously becomes the biggest point of disagreement.
Your point that they are both reluctant to move off their initial takes, I understand. That's probably true. I know I am also kind of the same way when I watch players. I feel like a lot of time my initial takes are right in the end? Not sure if there is truth to that or not.

Your 2nd paragraph, I mean there are levels to that.

as of now we are picking 8th and 19th overall
Will Smith and Perreault dream draft at these picks?
Works for me. Call it a day and watch them put up a bunch of points next year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have always heard of amateur scouting described as a highly collaborative process. In most cases you are not pinning all of the successes or failures on a pick on 1 person. It was almost always signed off by multiple people. Back in the 90's you might have actually "discovered" a player like Datsyuk that no other team knew of, but that kind of stuff doesn't really happen anymore.

This board for sure likes to credit 1 person for picks way more than it probably should. Basically just pick who gets credit whenever it fits what you want to try to say. Why would I pick someone that only 1 member of my staff likes?

That said, given the amount of time Hakan has been employed by the Wings, the amount of hits he has had from his region over that time frame, and the reputation he has among our front office and the league... yeah, it is hard for me to buy that he is not very good at what he does.

Don't want this to become the focal point of the thread, just my .02.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Look, you guys are all in the 'know' more than me, at least. Other than Fantilli/Carlsson if we randomly win the lottery, who is going to be the player that scores and scores only in this draft? AND, will we be able to draft them at our current position?

I've been reading a lot of names on here, but we need goal scoring and we need it now, so who is going to be projected as that guy? Would like to watch some youtube videos on the person to try and get hyped.

Reactions: wings95

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
lol, there's a difference between knowing a guys name and knowing a guys game. Youre telling me that this whole board caught even a single game of Seider's in the german league. Im willing to bet most of this have never watched a DEL match in their life. Seider was projective everywhere as a 2nd rounder to mid 1st round pick. Not a potential top 10 pick. So no there still are players that do go under the radar.
These people are literally paid to watch draft eligible players. There is not a single organization that didn't have eyes on him all year. Now I think teams and public scouts differed in how they projected him as an NHL player (which will always happen) but he was hardly under-scouted as you suggest. He was playing in the WC immediately prior to the draft after all.

What the Wings got right about him was their projection. They thought he was more skilled with the puck than he had showed and had more offense in him than he had shown. They also deserved credit for having the stones to take him where they did (i.e. their conviction of his projection).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Look, you guys are all in the 'know' more than me, at least. Other than Fantilli/Carlsson if we randomly win the lottery, who is going to be the player that scores and scores only in this draft? AND, will we be able to draft them at our current position?

I've been reading a lot of names on here, but we need goal scoring and we need it now, so who is going to be projected as that guy? Would like to watch some youtube videos on the person to try and get hyped.
This kid will probably score 50 goals in the OHL this year, which is impressive. He can get his shot off really quickly and has a pretty high end release IMO.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My first Top80 for 2023:

PickAVGRangePos2022 draftSize/HandNation
11,01CConnor Bedard5'9 - RCAN
22,22-4CAdam Fantilli6'3 - LCAN
33,12-5RWMatvei Michkov5'10 - LRUS
44,53-9CLeo Carlsson6'3 - LSWE
56,95-16FZach Benson5'10 - LCAN
67,44-18CWill Smith6'0 - RUSA
78,96-14FBrayden Yager6'0 - RCAN
89,76-13CDalibor Dvorsky6'1 - LSVK
910,98-18FEduard Sale6'1 - LCZE
1013,38-19RDAxel Sandin-Pellikka5'11 - RSWE
1113,89-25COliver Moore5'11 - LUSA
1214,66-31LWAndrew Cristall5'9 - LCAN
1315,27-29CRyan Leonard5'11 - LUSA
1416,28-43CCalum Ritchie6'1 - RCAN
1517,110-31FRiley Heidt5'11 - LCAN
1618,114-27FMatthew Wood6'3 - RCAN
1718,112-28RDDavid Reinbacher6'2 - RAUT
1818,38-38RWColby Barlow6'1 - LCAN
1918,913-24LDMikhail Gulyayev5'10 - LRUS
2020,615-23CNate Danielson6'1 - RCAN
2121,916-30RWEthan Gauthier5'11 - RCAN
2222,916-29LWKasper Halttunen6'3 - RFIN
2323,59-32RWCharlie Stramel6'3 - RUSA
2423,817-27LWQuentin Musty6'2 - LUSA
2524,417-41WGabe Perreault5'10 - LUSA/CAN
2624,718-39COtto Stenberg5'10 - LSWE
2725,114-52RWGavin Brindley5'9 - RUSA
2829,213-47LWDaniil But6'4 - RRUS
2929,919-46CSamuel Honzek6'4 - LSVK
3029,916-40LDTheo Lindstein6'0 - LSWE
3131,814-59RDLukas Dragicevic6'2 - RDCAN
3232,126-42RWKoehn Ziemmer6'0 - RCAN
3334,017-60LDCaden Price6'1 - LCAN
3434,429-42FLenni Hämeenaho6'0 - RFIN
3534,617-50FJayden Perron5'8 - RCAN
3636,224-53RDHunter Brzustevic6'0 - RUSA
3736,833-46CBradley Nadeau5'10 - RCAN
3837,116-49LDDimitri Simashev6'4 - LRUS
3937,330-45RDOliver Bonk6'1 - RCAN
4038,427-49LWKalan Lind6'0 - LCAN
4138,412-66RDCam Allen5'11 - RCAN
4238,527-74LDLuca Cagnoni5'10 - LCAN
4339,022-68RDMaxim Strbak6'2 - RSVK
4439,328-50RDMathieu Cataford5'11 - RCAN
4539,426-60LDEtienne Morin5'11 - LCAN
4639,519-49RWJesse Kiiskinen6'0 - RFIN
4740,821-73GMichael Hrabal6'6 - LCZE
4840,834-53FDanny Nelson6'3 - LUSA
4941,325-82LWRoman Kantserov5'9 - LRUS
5041,625-71CLuca Pinelli5'9 - LCAN
5141,820-50CNoah Dower Nilsson6'0 - LSWE
5243,830-57GTrey Augustine6'1 - LUSA
5345,041-50C/LWCarson Rehkopf6'1 - LCAN
5445,843-50CTimur Mukhanov5'8 - RRUS
5545,829-65CWilliam Whitelaw5'9 - RUSA
5647,229-70GCarson Bjarnason6'3 - LCAN
5747,520-67LDJakub Dvorak6'4 - LCZE
5847,641-61RDTom Willander6'1 - RSWE
5948,228-60LDTanner Molendyk5'11 - LCAN
6050,624-74RWAlex Ciernik5'10 - LSVK
6150,844-55RDBeau Akey6'0 - RCAN
6251,848-55LDAndrew Strathmann5'11 - LUSA
6352,129-103CDenver Barkey5'9 - LCAN
6452,538-82FOscar Fisker Molgaard6'0 - LDEN
6554,032-74GAdam Gajan6'4 - LSVK
6654,333-82LDArttu Kärki6'2 - LFIN
6758,446-82RDJordan Tourigny5'11 - RCAN
6858,828-73CCoulson Pitre6'0 - RCAN
6959,542-83FJesse Nurmi5'11 - LFIN
7059,855-64RDAram Minnetian6'0 - RUSA
7159,858-61WNoel Nordh6'2 - LSWE
7264,247-82FTuomas Uronen6'0 - RFIN
7364,739-83WEmil Järventie5'10 - LFIN
7464,843-100LWAydar Suniev6'2 - LRUS
7564,948-11C/LWTyler Peddle6'1 - LCAN
7665,041-84LWOndrej Molnar6'0 - LSVK
7765,747-75WMatthew Soto5'11 - RCAN
7865,845-80CGracyn Sawchyn5'11 - RCAN
7966,759-80LDQuinton Burns6'1 - LCAN
8067,865-76CMartin Misiak6'2 - LRUS

Quite forward-heavy on the Top29, think the D are gonna rise and they go higher on draft day.

Could see Leo Carlsson easily picked at Top3, and Michkov will fall some positions, but not too far. Not outside from Top10.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
This kid will probably score 50 goals in the OHL this year, which is impressive. He can get his shot off really quickly and has a pretty high end release IMO.

Looks like on some of the clips he does the same toe-drag and shot combo that bedard does that everyone get's all excited about. Does that seem like an accurate statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad