2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Question for you guys.

*Since this draft is being touted as pretty deep*

Let's say we miss the playoffs, we get the pick anywhere in 12-15, we ended up trading Bertuzzi for a 1st (and others if possible) and that pick is anywhere between 16-32 (hope for 16); do you guys see a good reason to trade up in the draft with both 1sts or one of the 1sts + STL 2nd rounder for a higher pick?

With everyone saying this draft is stacked, I understand that having two picks in the first round would be extremely beneficial, but with our (recent) track record of early 1st rounders, I think I would be pretty okay with trading both of our 1sts for a top 8 pick.

You guys think that's worth it? Obviously, would prefer trading the new acquired 1st + STL 2nd for another top 15 pick, but a top 8 pick with our recent scouting success I think would "guarantee" a higher probability of a great player.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Question for you guys.

Let's say we miss the playoffs, we get the pick anywhere in 12-15, we ended up trading Bertuzzi for a 1st (and others if possible) and that pick is anywhere between 16-32 (hope for 16); do you guys see a good reason to trade up in the draft with both 1sts or one of the 1sts + STL 2nd rounder for a higher pick?

With everyone saying this draft is stacked, I understand that having two picks in the first round would be extremely beneficial, but with our (recent) track record of early 1st rounders, I think I would be pretty okay with trading both of our 1sts for a top 8 pick.

You guys think that's worth it? Obviously, would prefer trading the new acquired 1st + STL 2nd for another top 15 pick, but a top 8 pick with our recent scouting success I think would "guarantee" a higher probability of a great player.
The top 4 are really the only picks worth making a move up to get. And those two picks wouldn't be enough, IMO. There is a number one with a bullet in Bedard. And there are 3 franchise level guys in Carlsson, Fantilli, and Michkov. After that, I don't think there is enough separation to warrant moving two 1sts to grab anyone. Just take two stabs at someone.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The top 4 are really the only picks worth making a move up to get. And those two picks wouldn't be enough, IMO. There is a number one with a bullet in Bedard. And there are 3 franchise level guys in Carlsson, Fantilli, and Michkov. After that, I don't think there is enough separation to warrant moving two 1sts to grab anyone. Just take two stabs at someone.
I see. Would love Fantilli.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Question for you guys.

I sincerely doubt that any of the teams in the top 10 this year would move down unless they plan on picking off board at that slot. Maybe a team run by idiots like Vancouver would consider it? But not most others.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
so you saying theres a chance.

There is a chance, but it's slim.

I think we'd be better off hedging our bets on getting another teens to early 20s first round pick. Or even trying to turn Detroit's own pick into multiple other picks.

Sample scenario: Let's say Detroit picks 12th and Vancouver has the 14th/15th overall pick from NYI. The Canucks might also get a pick in the 17-20 range from any of Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Edmonton.

If Vancouver falls in love with a player at 12th overall then Detroit trades 12th overall for the 15th + 19th overall picks. There really is not a big drop in value in this years draft, in my opinion.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
There is a chance, but it's slim.

I think we'd be better off hedging our bets on getting another teens to early 20s first round pick. Or even trying to turn Detroit's own pick into multiple other picks.

Sample scenario: Let's say Detroit picks 12th and Vancouver has the 14th/15th overall pick from NYI. The Canucks might also get a pick in the 17-20 range from any of Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Edmonton.

If Vancouver falls in love with a player at 12th overall then Detroit trades 12th overall for the 15th + 19th overall picks. There really is not a big drop in value in this years draft, in my opinion.
I think that is overall an ok deal, especially if we get another 1st rounder for bertuzzi. There just hasn't been much 15-32 1st round recent picks that amounted to elite level than top 10. Or am I bugging?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I think that is overall an ok deal, especially if we get another 1st rounder for bertuzzi. There just hasn't been much 15-32 1st round recent picks that amounted to elite level than top 10. Or am I bugging?

2013 Not so great.
2014, 2015 and 2016 drafts have produced some very good to great talent in those ranges.
2017 and 2018 kind of sucked.
2019 doesn't look so bad in this range.
2020 looks like it's got some decent players in that range but mostly too early to tell.
2021 too early to tell.
2022 too early to tell.

The 2023 draft is probably the deepest since 2015 so I think it would be very possible to find a top line player in the mid to late teens here. Most years? Not so much.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Question for you guys.

No I would not trade up. This draft is deep insofar as there are four really good players at the top. After that it is closer to average than exceptional. You would need to get into the top four for it to be worth it, and no one is trading a top four pick this year for a couple mid 1st rounders.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Why's he only ranked as a late 2nd/3rd round guy? How do you rate his skill?
This draft has just so many highly skilled prospects that I am not surprised so see him as a 2nd/3rd round guy. He's quite skilled but not elite. He's very physical with good skating but his production isn't great... it's not bad but it doesn't scream 1st rounder, especially in this draft. Like I said, I have to watch him more but I think he fits the mold of the type of player you said you were looking for, and rightfully so... we need more physical players imo.

Charlie Stramel could be another similar player and usually ranked much higher.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we think we are getting a late 1st for Bert and we are targeting goal scorers in this draft....

Then I think we have to give a lot of consideration to Koehn Ziemmer. He followed up his 30 goal season last year, with 32 goals in 56 games this year. He also improved his assist total from 27 in 68 games to 42 in 56 games this year.

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 14th: "Plays with a power forward mentality and is an elite shooter."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Nov. 15th: "He is a highly skilled and creative forward. Ziemmer has high-end hands and beats a lot of defenders one-on-one. He has the brain to run a power play and makes tough plays consistently at even strength."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Nov. 1st: "He’s a strong, pro-built winger who likes to shoot the puck and shoots it hard, but also regularly beats defenders and goalies one-on-one with a slick set of hands across his body so that they can’t plan for the shot. He scored some highlight-reel goals with the puck on a string last year but he also excels at finding pockets of space off of coverage."

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
My highly-scientific, well-thought-out projections now show the Wings will be picking 10th in the 2023 draft. To you prospect-watchers, who are we taking in that spot? Who are we hoping realistically falls to us?

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
My highly-scientific, well-thought-out projections now show the Wings will be picking 10th in the 2023 draft. To you prospect-watchers, who are we taking in that spot? Who are we hoping realistically falls to us?
Barlow, Leonard, Sale, Danielson, Cristall. I think hoping for Smith to be there is too much to ask. Would love Benson too.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My personal preference would be we get 1 of Moore, Dvorsky, or Sale.

If you look at Bob's mid-season list, those guys were 9, 11, and 12. So I think they would be realistic targets.

I would love it if Smith or Benson slid, but I don't think you can count on that.

Some of the guys that came in his top 15 that don't get discussed too much on here are Calum Ritchie (13), Matthew Wood (14), and Nate Danielson (15). Each of those 3 guys are bigger guys who I think play a game that Draper might be a fan of.

Reactions: jfrank21 and jaster

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Feels like if we pick ~15 OA, we're getting a guy who would be available ~7-10 OA in many other draft years.​

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
I think the Wings want Reinbacher with the first pick and then any of the multiple high-end forwards who's gonna be available for the other 1st round pick. Just a thought of what might happen... and if it is not traded...

Reactions: SantosHalper

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
I won't doubt what Yzerman does with these picks (trades or whatever) but let's just say that having 5 picks in the top ~45 in this draft is crazy good because I think this draft has insane value in the first 2 rounds. I'm so glad that Yzerman decided to get some more draft capital for this one in particular. Can't wait for the draft.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I won't doubt what Yzerman does with these picks (trades or whatever) but let's just say that having 5 picks in the top ~45 in this draft is crazy good because I think this draft has insane value in the first 2 rounds. I'm so glad that Yzerman decided to get some more draft capital for this one in particular. Can't wait for the draft.
Gotta offload Bert on someone. Sucks that Dallas gave up their 1st earlier in the year. Carolina maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad