2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone else torn on Colby Barlow?

On one hand, when I watched the CHL Top prospects game he looked like he was at his 10 yr HS reunion while everyone else looked like they were at HS graduation. Have had to wonder if some of his success comes from being more developed than his peers at this stage.

On the other hand, I think the way he plays could absolutely translate to the next level. Have read/watched a lot on him, and the consistent thing you hear is that he gets to high danger areas and he can create for others when getting to high danger areas.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Barlow looks great and dominate for a 17 year old.

But you are absolutely right. He looks like a 35 year old Brauny lumberjack. Normal to wonder if his advanced maturity limits his potential upside.

At the same time, we all remember the Ovechkin ‘doctored birth certificate’ Rumors because he looked 30+ years old at 17 aswell… and that worked out okay. Could say the same about teenage Lebron.

I think at the very least Barlow has a really high floor. That shot is already lethal and I’m confident he is going to be able to put the puck in the net.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

On one hand, when I watched the CHL Top prospects game he looked like he was at his 10 yr HS reunion while everyone else looked like they were at HS graduation. Have had to wonder if some of his success comes from being more developed than his peers at this stage.

On the other hand, I think the way he plays could absolutely translate to the next level. Have read/watched a lot on him, and the consistent thing you hear is that he gets to high danger areas and he can create for others when getting to high danger areas.

But you are absolutely right. He looks like a 35 year old Brauny lumberjack. Normal to wonder if his advanced maturity limits his potential upside.

At the same time, we all remember the Ovechkin ‘doctored birth certificate’ Rumors because he looked 30+ years old at 17 aswell… and that worked out okay. Could say the same about teenage Lebron.

I think at the very least Barlow has a really high floor. That shot is already lethal and I’m confident he is going to be able to put the puck in the net.
Barlow scores goals lots

Reactions: arhockey

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009

It's just his stache...if he shaved it, he would look a lot younger. I mean, I dont see it being a huge factor, it hasnt hampered someone like Mason McTavish...or going back to some other guys who looked mature for their age but werent successful simply because they were bigger than everyone else....Hartnell, Nathan Horton, Drew Doughty, etc. In fact, part of Barlow's appeal to me is that he doesnt need 4-5 seasons to physically develop to be able to handle the men's game. Plus, we are desperately in need of someone with his skillset and how he plays the game.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Here's my hot take: if the Wings make the playoffs, I think Matthew Wood would be an interesting guy to draft. Skating is one of the most commonly improved attributes post-draft, and he has a lot of skill for a big dude.

Agreed on skating.

On the flip side of him is his defense, inconsistent effort.

That I don't like.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I know we are not going to get Michkov , but he has so far 5 points game in KHL.
But moved to MHL , not much from him there. I am not watching those games, just following statistics. If he is struggling in MHL why than draft him in first 2 rounds.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know we are not going to get Michkov , but he has so far 5 points game in KHL.
But moved to MHL , not much from him there. I am not watching those games, just following statistics. If he is struggling in MHL why than draft him in first 2 rounds.
Where do you see he has bad stats in the MHL? I see he has only player in the KHL and VHL this year.

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
Calum Ritchie is a viable option for us in the 10-15 range IMO:

I don't follow the Junior and Euro leagues that closely. Is Ritchie supposed to be better than Felix Nilsson? Are they both centers? It sure would be nice if the Wings could get another first round pick.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
David Edstrom is looking like a riser. A lot of right-place-right-time hockey sense. Very similar to Mazur, Bertuzzi and Perron in that regard.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Am I the only one who doesn't think Barlow is that big? He may be developed, but he is league average by NHL standards. Perhaps he grows more, but I am not seeing this specimen that everyone else is. I didn't like him when we were drafting around 9, but I really like him mid-first or later.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Am I the only one who doesn't think Barlow is that big? He may be developed, but he is league average by NHL standards. Perhaps he grows more, but I am not seeing this specimen that everyone else is. I didn't like him when we were drafting around 9, but I really like him mid-first or later.
It's not necessarily the size as much as it is the physical maturity. I had the same concerns about Laf - size be damned, dude looked like he was in his 20s in his draft year. The concern isn't that these guys dominate with their size, but that they've already come into their "man strength" or are close to it and are therefore able to bully guys who haven't physically arrived yet, which is the majority of the guys they play against.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
It's not necessarily the size as much as it is the physical maturity. I had the same concerns about Laf - size be damned, dude looked like he was in his 20s in his draft year. The concern isn't that these guys dominate with their size, but that they've already come into their "man strength" or are close to it and are therefore able to bully guys who haven't physically arrived yet, which is the majority of the guys they play against.
Exactly. Barlow is younger than all these teammates, but looks like the older kid at the party who buys the beer.

webcaptains.jpg

Great player with an already NHL caliber shot. And definitely would not be opposed to drafting him. Just a noticeable thing.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Exactly. Barlow is younger than all these teammates, but looks like the older kid at the party who buys the beer.

webcaptains.jpg

Great player with an already NHL caliber shot. And definitely would not be opposed to drafting him. Just a noticeable thing.

That dude looks like the villain in an 80s highschool movie that drives an IROC-Z Camaro.

Hey @Frk It , aside from Ryan Leonard, what does your crystal ball say about physical skilled power forward types in this draft? That Sens game has me thinking we need a guy who can get in the other team's shit but still finish plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad