2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
CBJ
Connor Bedard
C | Regina
5'10"
185 lbs
Jul 17, 2005
Canada

CHI
Adam Fantilli
C | Michigan
6'2"
187 lbs
Oct 12, 2004
Canada
PLAYING AT:Michigan
ANA
Leo Carlsson
C/W | Örebro HK
6'3"
194 lbs
Dec 26, 2004
Sweden

ARI
Matvei Michkov
RW | SKA
5'10"
148 lbs
Dec 9, 2004
Russia

SJ
Zach Benson
LW/C/RW | Winnipeg
5'10"
159 lbs
May 12, 2005
Canada

VAN
Will Smith
C | USDP
6'0"
172 lbs
Mar 17, 2005
USA
COMMITTED TO:Boston College
MON
Eduard Sale
RW | HC Kometa Brno
6'1"
168 lbs
Mar 10, 2005
Czech Rep.

PHI
Dalibor Dvorsky
C | AIK
6'1"
201 lbs
Jun 15, 2005
Slovakia

STL
Brayden Yager
C | Moose Jaw
6'0"
165 lbs
Jan 3, 2005
Canada

OTT
Andrew Cristall
LW | Kelowna
5'10"
165 lbs
Feb 4, 2005
Canada

MON
Ryan Leonard
C | USDP
5'11"
181 lbs
Jan 21, 2005
USA
NYI
Oliver Moore
C | USDP
5'11"
176 lbs
Jan 22, 2005
USA
COMMITTED TO:Minnesota
DET
Mikhail Gulyayev
D | Omskie Yastreby
5'10"
170 lbs
Apr 26, 2005
Russia

BUF
Riley Heidt
LW/C/RW | Prince George
5'11"
179 lbs
Mar 25, 2005
Canada

This is the current mock draft on Tankathon, thoughts?
Blasphemy I tell you or is it BLASHphemy?

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
A little more on Felix Nilsson.

Sweden Stock Watch: Felix Nilsson a silent riser in the 2023 NHL Draft - EP Rinkside

What I’ve been able to see from this kid’s clips online isn’t flashy skill, but very precise and that’s even more important. Nothing seems to wow you but it just seems to be the exactly right move or pass each time.

Definitely adding to my short list of 2nd round favorites.

Been high on this guy since the season started. I could see him sneaking into the 1st due to being a natural (seemingly) center

I posted an interview with him earlier in this thread, in Swedish mind you, but he is very composed.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
We have much bigger needs than RD. You can find third pair/depth RD players by avenues other than the draft.
Willander is a righty, and may be the second first round pick or early second round pick if we can secure a later first. What do you think about his potential as a second pairing guy?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
CBJ
Connor Bedard
C | Regina
5'10"
185 lbs
Jul 17, 2005
Canada

CHI
Adam Fantilli
C | Michigan
6'2"
187 lbs
Oct 12, 2004
Canada
PLAYING AT:Michigan
ANA
Leo Carlsson
C/W | Örebro HK
6'3"
194 lbs
Dec 26, 2004
Sweden

ARI
Matvei Michkov
RW | SKA
5'10"
148 lbs
Dec 9, 2004
Russia

SJ
Zach Benson
LW/C/RW | Winnipeg
5'10"
159 lbs
May 12, 2005
Canada

VAN
Will Smith
C | USDP
6'0"
172 lbs
Mar 17, 2005
USA
MON
Eduard Sale
RW | HC Kometa Brno
6'1"
168 lbs
Mar 10, 2005
Czech Rep.

PHI
Dalibor Dvorsky
C | AIK
6'1"
201 lbs
Jun 15, 2005
Slovakia

STL
Brayden Yager
C | Moose Jaw
6'0"
165 lbs
Jan 3, 2005
Canada

OTT
Andrew Cristall
LW | Kelowna
5'10"
165 lbs
Feb 4, 2005
Canada

MON
Ryan Leonard
C | USDP
5'11"
181 lbs
Jan 21, 2005
USA
NYI
Oliver Moore
C | USDP
5'11"
176 lbs
Jan 22, 2005
USA
COMMITTED TO:Minnesota
DET
Mikhail Gulyayev
D | Omskie Yastreby
5'10"
170 lbs
Apr 26, 2005
Russia

BUF
Riley Heidt
LW/C/RW | Prince George
5'11"
179 lbs
Mar 25, 2005
Canada

This is the current mock draft on Tankathon, thoughts?
Not bad , but give me please someone else

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
So far been looking at 2 guys. Honzek, and but. People question if honzek will be a center at the next level, but I think he can be honestly. The guy has amazing vision, and good size. I certainly think he would be able to develop as a center. But has a lot of untapped potential and I think Is a legit goal scorer. We need guys who can shoot, if we have a second first somehow I’d love to snag him. I firmly believe our second and third rounder should be used to draft all right shot defenseman.

We've got Hronek, Seider, Raymond, and Berggren all RFAs in 2 years. (How Hronek is an RFA at 26 idk but that's what capfriendly says). Wouldn't be surprised if Hronek ends up being a cap casualty unless he plays lights out and forces us to make room for him. Would be nice to have some top 4 rd in the system for that reason.
If we are having cap casualties we really messed up. The number 1 thing we cannot do is lose good young players because people like chiarot are tied up in our cap. Find a way to sign everyone, thats the goal.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
DET
Mikhail Gulyayev
D | Omskie Yastreby
5'10"
170 lbs
Apr 26, 2005
Russia
I will say this, last time I saw this kid play was the Hlinka last year, and at that time I thought he was for sure a top 10 talent. So I am very curious what team ends up taking a shot on him and where he goes. But as others have said, really does not fit the mold of what we have seen Yzerman draft as far as defenseman go.
Willander is a righty, and may be the second first round pick or early second round pick if we can secure a later first. What do you think about his potential as a second pairing guy?
Honestly I don't think I have seen enough of him play to say if I would want him or not. I have only seen him play at the Hlinka, and he did look interesting. I watched a game of the WJAC but I was trying to watch Unger Sorum. I did hear he stood out in that tournament though.

Are you a fan? Could you tell me more on him?

So far been looking at 2 guys. Honzek, and but. People question if honzek will be a center at the next level, but I think he can be honestly. The guy has amazing vision, and good size. I certainly think he would be able to develop as a center. But has a lot of untapped potential and I think Is a legit goal scorer. We need guys who can shoot, if we have a second first somehow I’d love to snag him. I firmly believe our second and third rounder should be used to draft all right shot defenseman.
I really like the idea of adding a forward with size and skill in this draft, so I am also looking at these 2. I think But could be a steal from the little I have seen of him. I also am a fan of Calum Ritchie. I think there is a really good toolkit there.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Is it too early in the rebuild to shift from quantity to quality of picks? I feel like Detroit needs a pair of excellent forwards a lot more than a half dozen good ones.

Not saying they should stop accumulating assets wherever reasonable. But that packaging some to move up might be worthwhile, depending on their draft board.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Honestly I don't think I have seen enough of him play to say if I would want him or not. I have only seen him play at the Hlinka, and he did look interesting. I watched a game of the WJAC but I was trying to watch Unger Sorum. I did hear he stood out in that tournament though.

Are you a fan? Could you tell me more on him?
I have not seen him play during the season other than the Hlinka either. I know he is headed to BU in the Fall, and it seems like Steve likes to draft players based on where they will develop. There are also a few articles out there, one in particular by Lassi Alanen that is pretty good with some advanced stats metrics on the kid. It sounds like his play at Hlinka is par for the course, he doesn't stand out, but is nearly always in the right position and makes the simple play. His shot is his best asset in the offensive zone, and is fairly simple in the D zone, and at >6' he qualifies for a D taken in the end of the 1st round!

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
With this stretch it's time to go in depth a little lower.

Barlow, Sale, Dvorsky, But, Heidt, Honzek, Danielsson all seem like good options. Reinbacher and Simashev are good but idk if we go dman.

My favorite in this range though is Brindley. I have him ranked 10 now but I bet he goes much lower.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
When we drafted Larkin , his projection was 2 line center, wonder if Kasper could be first line center , then we should look at best available forward and don't really care if he's a wing

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
When we drafted Larkin , his projection was 2 line center, wonder if Kasper could be first line center , then we should look at best available forward and don't really care if he's a wing
Larkin and Kasper had basically the same pre-draft scouting report. High compete, good at all things, Larkin faster, Kasper more physical. Kasper was picked at 8 and Larkin 15. It is plausible that Kasper ends up the better player if he hits his ceiling.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
It's from last month but this Reinbacher clip shows his offensive ability.

Player Profile : David Reinbacher - Recruit Scouting

2023 NHL DRAFT: EARLY SEASON FAVOURITES SERIES WITH VIDEO - SWITZERLAND - David Reinbacher

Easily my favorite defender at the draft. I think he goes in the #5-7 range though. He's got all the tools you want in a modern top pair defender and is decently physical in the showings I've seen.

There’s no chance reinbacher is available when the wings pick unless we get a big lotto swing or lose like every game from here on out. He’s the type of guy that gets GMs’ loins juicing

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With this stretch it's time to go in depth a little lower.

Barlow, Sale, Dvorsky, But, Heidt, Honzek, Danielsson all seem like good options. Reinbacher and Simashev are good but idk if we go dman.

My favorite in this range though is Brindley. I have him ranked 10 now but I bet he goes much lower.
I like every played you listed for the most part. Then you also have Cristall and Perrault who have crazy good production for guys ranked outside the top 10.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I like every played you listed for the most part. Then you also have Cristall and Perrault who have crazy good production for guys ranked outside the top 10.
I keep forgeting Cristall isn't consensus top 10 lol. Kid's a stud and I'll be so happy if he falls to us and we take him.

My top 3 targets in our range are:
1. Cristall
2. Brindley
3. Sale

I think Leonard ends up going pretty high because he's the type of guy GMs love.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2 kids that play on a team with our other prospects I would not mind taking:

Tanner Ludtke - plays with Brennan Ali in Lincoln. Decent sized kid (6’0 185 lbs) is over a ppg in the USHL in his draft year (outproducing Ali) and plays center. Committed to play college hockey at Nebraska.

Coulson Pitre - teammate of Amadeus Lombardi in Flint. Here is a writer from Brock Otten who covers the OHL:

Coulson Pitre - Wing - Flint Firebirds
Pitre is my kind of player. If you've followed my work for a long time, you'd know that power forward types like Pitre are my jam. I thought he started the year pretty poorly; he seemed a bit lost with trying to carve out a role on a deep forward group and he got away from the things that made him successful last year. But the last few months, he's been outstanding. The physicality is consistent. He understands how to play without the puck. He's a solid skater. But what I like most about Pitre's game is his vision with the puck. It's rare to find power forward types who see the ice the way that Pitre does. His IQ grade is quite high. As a late 2004, I do understand that some may believe he has less room for development and what you see might be what you get here. No question, I do believe there are players ranked below Pitre who have higher upside. But if I'm drafting in the second round, Pitre is an attractive target because he does so many things well and already has a pro style game. It's not far fetched to say that he develops into a Nick Foligno, Jason Zucker type.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009

Yeah, reading up more on him and watching some tape I could see him being a target if we end up in that late teen range (by actually making that playoff push and getting in). I've been so conflicted because of how stacked the top 10 is this year and I thought they would be comfortably close, but it's looking like mid to late teens is where they will end up barring more injuries. Still think maybe Yager, Barlow, Ritchie might be had in those ranges but Molgaard certainly fits the mold of what we like and what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad