Prospect Info: [2023 - 69th] Jacob Fowler (NCAA - Boston College)

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
I don't think the height is an issue, his edge-work, his control, his puck tracking and hockey sense.

A lot of Devon Levi in his game.
Really wanted us to try and trade for Levi, so sign me up if this is Levi 2.0. Very meh about the overall draft, but still happy that we potentially have our #1 goalie in Fowler.

Just moved to Boston this year, so will try and go to some BU and BC games next season.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He certainly has all the intangibles going. Being a key guy in a championship season is a great plus as well experience wise, he could turn out quite special. He's ahead of where Primeau was in his draft season , at the very least.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Arpon on the latest podcast talked about Fowler.. saying the Habs had him in the same tier as Hrabal/Gajan etc.

Think they have their future 1 on their hands.
I think Fowler was your favorite goaltender in this draft if Im not wrong, nice call! Only downside is the size, at 6'1, thats a bit small for modern goalending standarts, but he moves so well in net that Im really excited about the pick. Hard to believe he is overweight, he moves so fast, cant imagine what it will be when he slims down...

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Arpon on the latest podcast talked about Fowler.. saying the Habs had him in the same tier as Hrabal/Gajan etc.

Think they have their future 1 on their hands.
Not sure why they see Fowler, as early as it is in his development, so far ahead of Jakub Dobes who has been as good as anyone could have hoped for some time already.

It is their pick, I guess..

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Propaganda! They would trade to move up harder if they realy he's a future 1st in the making but an interesting one for sure.
They didnt move up for Hutson or Engstrom either and both are looking like top 15 picks right now. Last 2 drafts were 3 rounds deep, you can find some gems out there.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Propaganda! They would trade to move up harder if they realy he's a future 1st in the making but an interesting one for sure.
Honestly, I'm not sure about that. Hrabal, Bjarnasson, Gajan, Augustine, Fowler were all in the same tier for me talent wise. Fowler had no international pedigree, but the league stats and performance were there. Best goalie in his league and led his team to a championship.

Actually, I think Fowler is a better prospect than most of those guys, but he ate a bit too many jamaican patties.

He just has that reliability you look for in #1 goalies. You know he's making the next save.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think Fowler was your favorite goaltender in this draft if Im not wrong, nice call! Only downside is the size, at 6'1, thats a bit small for modern goalending standarts, but he moves so well in net that Im really excited about the pick. Hard to believe he is overweight, he moves so fast, cant imagine what it will be when he slims down...

2nd behind Hrabal in the end, Hrabals u18s solidified him at 1 for me. But so stoked to get Fowler at 69
Not sure why they see Fowler, as early as it is in his development, so far ahead of Jakub Dobes who has been as good as anyone could have hoped for some time already.

It is their pick, I guess..

They have high hopes for Dobes too, he was just speaking about Fowler specifically. What he did say about Dobes was that his USHL coach told Arpon that the Habs have a good one in Dobes.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I don’t think it’s so much as dropping weight, he will probably play at 225 like Price. It’s just a matter of losing the bad weight and replacing it with good if that makes sense. That will all come with maturing and becoming a pro, something he will achieve in time
How tall is he? That should tell us about weight. If he is 6-1, think 195 would be good.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Honestly, I'm not sure about that. Hrabal, Bjarnasson, Gajan, Augustine, Fowler were all in the same tier for me talent wise. Fowler had no international pedigree, but the league stats and performance were there. Best goalie in his league and led his team to a championship.

Actually, I think Fowler is a better prospect than most of those guys, but he ate a bit too many jamaican patties.

He just has that reliability you look for in #1 goalies. You know he's making the next save.

The thing with goalies is that they are notoriously difficult to scout as they are typically much further from being a finished product than skaters are. There simply isn't enough information to be gleaned from scouting a teenage goaltender that can even remotely be accurately projected as a finished image of the player in 7 to 9 years time. Goaltending is mostly mental and goalies can reinvent themselves on a much larger scale than skaters can. Wasting high picks on them is horrendous asset management and I like what Montreal has done by now having a group of G prospects that they like without having exhausted a high pick to acquire any of them. The only problem with this is potentially losing them like they lost Dichow as there are only so many contracts to go around and many goalies blossom later than the timeframe that the current C.B.A allots the organization to sign them.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotProkofievian

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
They didnt move up for Hutson or Engstrom either and both are looking like top 15 picks right now. Last 2 drafts were 3 rounds deep, you can find some gems out there.
It was reported they did try to move up to get Hutson but couldn't find a partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad