Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

It's a very interesting article.

The Avs are very hopeful that Landy is back for the playoffs this year. That is what they're planning for as of right now.

Would be a good boost to the depth of the forwards for sure... But at the same time you have to wonder how impactful Landy would actually be to return after 2 years without playing, in the playoffs as his first action back. I wouldn't expect anything more than a 3rd line quality out of him.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

The Avs are very hopeful that Landy is back for the playoffs this year. That is what they're planning for as of right now.

Would be a good boost to the depth of the forwards for sure... But at the same time you have to wonder how impactful Landy would actually be to return after 2 years without playing, in the playoffs as his first action back. I wouldn't expect anything more than a 3rd line quality out of him.

If he plays at good mid six level, it does wonders to our depth.

Reactions: AvsFan2123

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

“We certainly kicked tires with Nate, and he’s a big believer in Jonathan, that’s for sure. But it’s not like we’re going to say, ‘Jonathan, you’re playing with Nate’ and voila, problem solved. It does give our coach another top-six weapon, but Jonathan is going to have to get it done on the ice once the puck drops.”

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We gonna get Landy back for the playoffs aren’t we? The Avs will be so deep up front if that happens

Drouin-MacK-Mikko
Landy-RyJo-Nuke
Lehky-Colton-Kovalenko
Wood-Cogs-LOC

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If he plays at good mid six level, it does wonders to our depth.

Yeah it would be a huge boost and cuts down on at least one deadline move they'd have to make:

???? - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - RyJo - Mikko
Landy - Colton - Wood/LOC
Wood/LOC - ???? - Cogs

With potentially Kovalenko in the fold(Though IMO he's almost definitely a healthy scratch for the playoffs at least to start, if Landy is indeed back), and then wait and see with Drouin as the 1LW(But I suspect we will need to upgrade him).

That roster looks solid so long RyJo plays to his potential this year.

I think the one move I'd subsequently like to see them make is to add DeBrusk as the deadline trade target.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The wording was clear when it was announced... not sure why this is catching anybody by surprise.

True but it's also nice to see the plan be reaffirmed again.

But also, i wonder how certain posters here will cope with the Avs playing the LTIR game just like Tampa this season. Should be funny to see the heel turn from some folks on that front :laugh:

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

But also, i wonder how certain posters here will cope with the Avs playing the LTIR game just like Tampa this season. Should be funny to see the heel turn from some folks on that front :laugh:

I’ve wanted them to use the LTIR loop forever, should’ve acquired the Price contract

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Number one bullshit

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Kind reminder: they also planned to have Landy available in 2023 playoffs. They should be planning he retires. If he doesn't and is actually able to play again, great. Otherwise business as usual.
I am hoping this is what they're doing, just not stating it publically.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I’ve wanted them to use the LTIR loop forever, should’ve acquired the Price contract
Agreed

But I recall the narrative from some folks being "It's great that the Avs are able to contend and win a cup without having to break the rules or be shady around the LTIR usage"

Not the case anymore(And wasn't last year either).

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming

but why though?

It only matters if Price is able to suit up in the playoffs. The LTIR 'loophole' doesn't give them more cap to use during the season, like "get all the contracts during the offseason so we can go shopping!", it just means Stan has to actually pay these guys' salary if they play or not :laugh:

Reactions: Metallo

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Best part of the article was the part about Val and how excited they are for the season he's about to have. Whatever happened in the playoffs didn't actually happen and should be spoken of no more.

giphy.gif

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Best part of the article was the part about Val and how excited they are for the season he's about to have. Whatever happened in the playoffs didn't actually happen and should be spoken of no more.

giphy.gif
Was just about to comment this as well. Expect a whole lot of "no comment" and "we'll let his play on the ice do the talking" this season.

Reactions: Avs_19

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011

I still feel the same way. At the end of the day a cup is a cup and I’ll take it no matter what. That’s what really matters in the end. That being said how you win matters. Broncos getting over the hump without Elway, Nuggets not winning with the homegrown core etc. would have been worse IMO. Just like winning during Covid. Avs dominating that run with the LTIR loophole would have been worse.

I’m fine with them using it(all the teams have no issue doing it) but I’m happy we won one without the LTIR loophole. If Landy comes back at 100% somehow and plays like a 1st line winger + the Avs get aggressive at the deadline it’ll be a gigantic advantage. Even if it screws the Avs I’d still be fine with the league shutting it down tomorrow for everyone.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
With potentially Kovalenko in the fold(Though IMO he's almost definitely a healthy scratch for the playoffs at least to start, if Landy is indeed back), and then wait and see with Drouin as the 1LW(But I suspect we will need to upgrade him).
There's no way he agreed to sign, come over, and sit in the pressbox. They do that, he'll be on the first plan back to Russia.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
Yeah it would be a huge boost and cuts down on at least one deadline move they'd have to make:

???? - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - RyJo - Mikko
Landy - Colton - Wood/LOC
Wood/LOC - ???? - Cogs

That roster looks solid so long RyJo plays to his potential this year.

I think the one move I'd subsequently like to see them make is to add DeBrusk as the deadline trade target.
I predict 0,9 ppg for Drouin! Hopefully he can stay healthy.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Looks like a slight different between the Rookie Development Camp roster and who’s going to the tournament. I imagine the NCAA rules have an impact on that. Any FA names I should be watching out for? Purely from a numbers standpoint, I think Lukas Gustafsson (dev camp not tournament), Hunter Anderson (same), Milo Roelens (size queen but both), Yoan Loshing (both camps), Marc Lajoie (both) could be names to keep an eye on. Aidan De La Gorgendiere had a couple nice years but expected for overager. Maybe starts year with Utah? But anyone with more insight into them welcomed. Just want to know if we have something in one of these guys possibly.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

Agreed landys conditioning you’d think wouldn’t be up to sniff since I think I read that he isn’t even allowed to do any workouts. I’m gonna assume he’s done for the year and be surprised if he comes back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad