Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
Like Tiger previously mentioned, I’m a little weirded out by the contracts. Like we HAD to sign Weinstein but we didn’t send Hanzel back to juniors with one? I also would’ve signed Ivan Ivan to an ELC. I know he’s on an AHL contract, but can’t they sign him to an ELC starting 24/25 season? I’ve seen the Avs sign guys to ELC’s/NHL contracts that were previously on AHL deals but they usually do that closer to TDL around March. I also would’ve considered signing Jedlicka. From what we’ve seen it sounds like he looked really good and got praise from Bednar. Sounds like his injury is kind of serious. And like Hench mentioned, we always do seem to be wasting a contract space or two on people with literally next to nothing to offer. Beaucage, Henry, Lewis, Josh Anderson, etc.
Jedlicka and Hanzel contracts would count towards this year and neither is likely to contribute at the NHL level this year. Likely keeping spots open for an invite or trade. Saige had to be signed or he is in the 2024 draft. Signing a player later in the season can make the contract eligible for 2024/25 which could be the plan for Ivan and the others with team so close to 50 contracts for this season.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Sorry if this is a dumb question, when we discuss lazy players like RyJo or Laine.. are they literally just lazy and don't want to work hard? Or is it more so they lack the drive to play when they aren't in scoring positions like mens league players?

Is there any examples of players actually outgrowing their lazy play?

Edit: I'm mostly asking cause I always liked RyJo I would draft him way too high in fantasy hockey back in the day I really hope he works out here

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sorry if this is a dumb question, when we discuss lazy players like RyJo or Laine.. are they literally just lazy and don't want to work hard? Or is it more so they lack the drive to play when they aren't in scoring positions like mens league players?

Edit: I'm mostly asking cause I always liked RyJo I would draft him way too high in fantasy hockey back in the day I really hope he works out here
Only guy I can think of (maybe) is Jagr.

The silver lining with Johansen is that he usually turns it on for the playoffs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

There are some examples… but really they are the exception to the rule. Those players just don’t tend to have the drive that others do. And once a player is into their low to mid 20s… that’s just who they are.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
RyJo - You see the talent one minute (like his tip last night) and then you see all the BS that goes along with. He played lazy hockey. That can't keep up.
I am still expecting a lot of effort from him in the postseason, but we already know how he's going to play in for all 82 games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know what's going on with Makar's injury, but why the eff was he doing this when missing the entire training camp? or did he miss because of doing this?

• Haha

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Wonder if Hunt will get claimed, not sure who has room but he always looks NHL quality when we call him up
I doubt it. He's been through waivers multiple times in the past and has never been claimed. At his advanced age, he's stuck in they grey area. Where he's not good enough for a contender, but not skilled or young enough for a club that could use him, to give him a chance.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It would be a very Avs type injury to get hurt while filming shit for EA because you were picked to be a cover athlete.
OT: my brethren were looking for some EA NHL 24 yesterday and almost every location was sold out completely. Only one was a random Target having three more for the PS5 which are probably gone at this point. It is a hot sell item in 303 with Makar on the cover and the team just winning the Cup.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
OT: my brethren were looking for some EA NHL 24 yesterday and almost every location was sold out completely. Only one was a random Target having three more for the PS5 which are probably gone at this point. It is a hot sell item in 303 with Makar on the cover and the team just winning the Cup.
I didn't even know it was already being sold in stores. I pre-ordered mine on Amazon and that's not shipping unit the 11th.

Or they're planning on grabbing someone on waivers as 7D
I really hope so. I hate our right side depth. It's basically just Manson and Makar. Then you have a bunch of left side guys filling in the holes. Right now I could see our bottom pair costing us a lot of games because of it.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I didn't even know it was already being sold in stores. I pre-ordered mine on Amazon and that's not shipping unit the 11th.

I really hope so. I hate our right side depth. It's basically just Manson and Makar. Then you have a bunch of left side guys filling in the holes. Right now I could see our bottom pair costing us a lot of games because of it.
Marcus Björk may have been an interesting RD as 7D but he went unclaimed today.

Reactions: sethro109

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That means we get more Malinski...... Oh yay. This definitely won't cost us.....

I didn't watch the Vegas game, but hasn't he been making progress? We're pretty spoiled with the way even Byram came in.

This is why it looked to me like the D only really made sense if JJ was the #7, and Sam wise was penciled into that #6 spot.

Which scared me.. Rookie D are rarely consistent off the hop even if they're good.

I am still expecting a lot of effort from him in the postseason, but we already know how he's going to play in for all 82 games.

He needs to step it up a bit if Bednar is going to trust him, but they have history. So I'm hoping between Bednar, and Mack they can dial him up a notch in the regular season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I didn't watch the Vegas game, but hasn't he been making progress?
No and he's the opposite of what we need. We need a bottom pair, defensively reliable RD who can PK. Malinski plays like Jacob MacDonald. The risk vs reward factor when he's on the ice is way off.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I didn't watch the Vegas game, but hasn't he been making progress? We're pretty spoiled with the way even Byram came in.

This is why it looked to me like the D only really made sense if JJ was the #7, and Sam wise was penciled into that #6 spot.

Which scared me.. Rookie D are rarely consistent off the hop even if they're good.

He needs to step it up a bit if Bednar is going to trust him, but they have history. So I'm hoping between Bednar, and Mack they can dial him up a notch in the regular season.
His camp has been very disappointing. Even Bednar has voiced his concerns about him. Basically calling him too inconsistent. This is however, his first year as a pro, so he could still become something, but he shouldn't be playing in the NHL right now. Some time with the Eagles would probably show us what kind of player he can be.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No and he's the opposite of what we need. We need a bottom pair, defensively reliable RD who can PK. Malinski plays like Jacob MacDonald. The risk vs reward factor when he's on the ice is way off.

Definitely agree with you there.. Although If one of our puck movers goes down he'll be valuable if he continues to develop.

Seriously if they actually signed JJ to be an every day player I need to go lower Cmacs rating a notch again though.

His camp has been very disappointing. Even Bednar has voiced his concerns about him. Basically calling him too inconsistent. This is however, his first year as a pro, so he could still become something, but he shouldn't be playing in the NHL right now. Some time with the Eagles would probably show us what kind of player he can be.

Sounds like that flash in the AHL was just a good sign, not a sign of a player ready for the jump much quicker than anyone would expect like Girard did.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Malinski has the highest upside of any of our fringe Dmen by far... I think he's the right choice to keep up especially to start the year.

Give him a month or so to see if he can adapt his game to more of what we need from him in that role and the speed of the NHL. If not... We know Hunt is a fine 7D and there's always other fringe guys around the league available to go after.

No matter who they choose for the 7D, it isn't going to have much impact on the success or failures of this team so might as well give the kid with some upside a chance.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Malinski has the highest upside of any of our fringe Dmen by far... I think he's the right choice to keep up especially to start the year.

Give him a month or so to see if he can adapt his game to more of what we need from him in that role and the speed of the NHL. If not... We know Hunt is a fine 7D and there's always other fringe guys around the league available to go after.

No matter who they choose for the 7D, it isn't going to have much impact on the success or failures of this team so might as well give the kid with some upside a chance.

I was thinking that they should give him some time, but I don't see how the AHL would hurt. Could also be nerves and pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad