Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
ROR was super excited to play in Toronto and called it the hockey Mecca. He didn’t go back because Toronto did t have the cap sowce at this stage he’s a mercenary
He admitted in several interviews that he didn't go back to Toronto (his choice) because of market pressure. Here's one:

CpysMmv.png

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He admitted in several interviews that he didn't go back to Toronto (his choice) because of market pressure. Here's one:

CpysMmv.png

He's won his cup and made good money, and knows he's regressing and that he'd quickly become a scapegoat in Toronto if they don't win immediately. Nothing wrong with wanting to ride it out in a low-pressure environment.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
He's won his cup and made good money, and knows he's regressing and that he'd quickly become a scapegoat in Toronto if they don't win immediately. Nothing wrong with wanting to ride it out in a low-pressure environment.

I bet the 18 million guaranteed dollars in an income tax free state had just as much (if not more) to do with it than the lower pressure environment.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's fine as long as they know that they are hiring a mercenary who wants to collect his paycheck in peace and not a culture changing leader. That doesn't appear to be the case though....bought out Duchene and retained half of RyJo's salary then turned around and signed ROR. Yikes.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
They probably ran out of suckers to sell Duchene and RyJo jerseys to and are hoping they can sell enough ROR jerseys to the same group of suckers before they figure out he's cooked.

Reactions: PR33StPatrick

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They probably ran out of suckers to sell Duchene and RyJo jerseys to and are hoping they can sell enough ROR jerseys to the same group of suckers before they figure out he's cooked.
They don't need ROR to sell jerseys... if Navrin Mutter makes the NHL, his will sell like hotcakes.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Last 3 cuts?

There needs to be 5 more cuts to be cap compliant with a 23 man roster.

Guessing the last 5 cuts will be: Meyers, Kiviranta (PTO), Kozun (PTO), Ahcan, Malinski

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Lehkonen - RyJo - Nichushkin
Wood - Colton - Tatar
Cogliano - Olofsson - O'Connor
Tufte
MacDermid

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - JJ
Hunt

Georgiev
Annunen

LTIR: Francouz, Landeskog

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Per Peter Baugh, Kiviranta and Kozun are no longer part of the Avs training camp; they've been invited to Eagles (AHL) camp but haven't made a decision.

We all knew it was going to happen, but good lord does it suck when MacDermid takes a roster spot from an actual useful player (he might be limited, but in terms of B6 role, I'd take Kiviranta over MacDermid...and even in the preseason it looks like Bednar also agrees, given their icetime)

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Malinski playing over Hunt.

Also looks like Tufte made the team.
Malinski hasn't impressed me at all. Since the Avs already know who he is and what Hunt is capable of, I wonder if this is a last chance showcase for Malinski? Or if it's already been decided and Hunt will be the one sent down?

I'm pleased about Tufte making the roster. He's easily had the best camp of any player. He's earned his spot.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Malinski probably depends on his play tonight. If he takes 3 penalties again, he’ll be done. If he plays well, he might secure his spot.

I doubt Bednar plays Malinski over JJ, especially with Girard being the other guy on that bottom pairing. And the Avs won't let him sit in the press box.

IMO Malinski is pretty much guranteed to start with the Eagles unless a more serious injury pops up.

Reactions: Bender

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I doubt Bednar plays Malinski over JJ, especially with Girard being the other guy on that bottom pairing. And the Avs won't let him sit in the press box.

IMO Malinski is pretty much guranteed to start with the Eagles unless a more serious injury pops up.

Malinski hasn't impressed me at all. Since the Avs already know who he is and what Hunt is capable of, I wonder if this is a last chance showcase for Malinski? Or if it's already been decided and Hunt will be the one sent down?

I'm pleased about Tufte making the roster. He's easily had the best camp of any player. He's earned his spot.

That's my thinking too. This is probably Malinski getting another final "taste" of NHL game speed before he's sent down to work on some things. Hunt is a known entity at this point too and makes more sense as the nacho guy than Malinski.

I guess the same could apply for Tufte as well. He's effectively the 23rd guy if Hunt/Malinski (7D) make the roster along with MacDermid (13F). The Avs like to roll with 22 on the roster usually but Francouz being injured could be the break Tufte needs to stay up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad