Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well that's not great on Rants... hope it is nothing of substance. Interesting that Kozun is the guy on the 3rd line.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Good to see the pivot away from Lehky and Nuke with RyJo.
Love those two, but having them on the same line is a redundancy of skillsets.

I also was liking this move before I saw Rants was missing today, because I thought it meant we would see a pivot away from Rants being stapled to MacK at ES and 5v5. Those guys will eventually get plenty of time together on the PP and depending on situational needs (down a goal, running up the score on Minny because F those guys, right?). Rants when healthy can help the team best by making sure the 2nd line is producing. I've never understood Bednar's decision to always keep his best offensive eggs in the same basket making it easier for a team to shut down one line instead of having to contend with two.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Love those two, but having them on the same line is a redundancy of skillsets.

I also was liking this move before I saw Rants was missing today, because I thought it meant we would see a pivot away from Rants being stapled to MacK at ES and 5v5. Those guys will eventually get plenty of time together on the PP and depending on situational needs (down a goal, running up the score on Minny because F those guys, right?). Rants when healthy can help the team best by making sure the 2nd line is producing. I've never understood Bednar's decision to always keep his best offensive eggs in the same basket making it easier for a team to shut down one line instead of having to contend with two.

Not to mention that Makar is usually out there with them more often than not, which leaves us with our 3 best offensive weapons out there at the same time

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Fully healthy (minus Francouz) the Avs are pretty much looking at this 22 man roster right now:

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - RyJo - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - Tatar
Cogliano - Olofsson - O'Connor
MacDermid

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - JJ
Hunt

Georgiev
Annunen

With Francouz added there wouldn't be enough capspace to run a 23 man roster, but with him out there's enough capspace to add one more (or even two if Cogliano starts on IR).

So for now at least it seemingly comes down to the 6 guys listed below (and anyone the Avs may like on waivers) for basically one spot (or possibly two or if Cogliano starts on IR).

F: Tufte, Meyers, Kozun (PTO), Kiviranta (PTO)
D: Malinski, Ahcan

Meyers and Malinski are both waiver exempt which makes them easy choices to send down.

Ahcan, Kiviranta, and Kozun are likely to pass waivers too which will facilitate a decision there.

Tufte is really the only difficult decision as far as I can tell, but really it isn't all that tough to keep him up as the 23rd guy if they want to since they have cap flexibility from Francouz being out. And even when Francouz returns they could just send Hunt down if they didn't want to risk putting Tufte through waivers.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I am so glad we've got Jussi. He really seems like he's one of the better goalie-whisperers out there. He seems to have a way to help them relax into the position and appears good with helping to adjust stances and movements. I keep thinking about how he's got Frankie's feet working on shootout attempts and breakaways, it's unconventional but it works for him. I imagine @Gigantor The Goalie can speak more to his abilities and pros/cons but I've always liked what I've heard about him. The Peter Baugh article on the Athletic really polished his star in my eye as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad