Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

enFPr8.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree with your guessed lineup. That makes the most sense.

One thing to keep in mind however is that Francouz could start the year on LTIR, which would give them a tonne of cap flexibility. With Francouz on LTIR and Annunen up there's $1.75m in capspace with Tufte and MacDermid as the 13F and 14F, so if they wanted they could even call up a 7D.

The smart move in that scenario would probably be to still run with a 22 man roster and have as much unused capspace as possible to help cover possible overages at the end of the year. Overages are covered by the average unused capspace over the season, so "banking" (note: not accruing) some unused space early would be helpful in that regard.

Either way though with Francouz on LTIR it's probably safe to expect Tufte to stay up.

That said they may still want to sneak him through waivers before the season starts to leave themselves some extra flexibility. Once the season starts and rosters around the league start to have more spots open up due to injuries it would probably be riskier to send Tufte down than in preseason.

Yeah LTIR'ing Franky might give them a little flexibility to start the season.

They'd be risking having to waive them during the season though when he comes off LTIR, instead of waiving them at the end of pre-season, which as you note, is the best time to try and sneak guys down.

Though I think Tufte might get claimed either way, his pre-season has been too good.

Now that I think of it though, the best plan might be to keep Olofsson at 4C and Tufte on the roster, then LTIR Franky so they could keep Malinksi up to give him more time with the team, or Clurman if they prefer, and use them as a 7D option instead of MacDermid. Then they can send them down when Franky gets back, because Malinski and Clurman don't need to pass through waivers.

Reactions: Richard88

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Pavel making a late push for the 4C spot... Wouldn't be surprised if he gets given how Bednar has raved about him.

Will be interesting to see who the Avs end up keeping to fill out the 13th forward/7th D spots.

I'm guessing we get a 4th line of:

LOC - Pavel - Olofsson
Tufte/Kiviranta as the 2 extra forwards.

With Meyers sent down, Cogs opening the year on the IR

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Pavel making a late push for the 4C spot... Wouldn't be surprised if he gets given how Bednar has raved about him.

Will be interesting to see who the Avs end up keeping to fill out the 13th forward/7th D spots.

I'm guessing we get a 4th line of:

LOC - Pavel - Olofsson
Tufte/Kiviranta as the 2 extra forwards.

With Meyers sent down, Cogs opening the year on the IR
I find it very hard to believe that MacDermid will be left off one of the extra roster spots. The team just loves carrying him around.

Reactions: jabubenice

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Oh Pavel is back? That could make their decision even tougher.

Though perhaps with Tufte and Olofsson playing well, he gets sent down because he's not eligible for waivers. Then is the first forward callup.

I thought Pavel would have the best shot at making 4C, but I have to admit, I kinda like the swagger Olofsson had when talking about how he and Tufte have been beasts together. Chemistry in a duo is important. It can make a big difference in the effectiveness of a line.

They should see if they can put Cogs on LTIR too, to give them some more flexibility to start the season. Give him all the time he needs. He's a guy that doesn't need a lot of time to get back to game shape anyway.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
how Kiviranta been? think he's going to get signed?

I've liked him personally. Nothing too flashy and not very physical, but he's looked solid in that "smart" kind of 4th line winger that knows where to go on the ice, can skate well, and handle the puck. Like an Antti Laaksonen type.

He might get caught in a numbers game though. Tufte has probably had the best camp among that group, and they seem to like Olofsson at center. Plus Pavel looks to be healthy again.

Avs should try to sign him though and send him down. They can always use solid NHL options in depth roles, because they're going to have injuries. Last year they didn't have enough.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I've liked him personally. Nothing too flashy and not very physical, but he's looked solid in that "smart" kind of 4th line winger that knows where to go on the ice, can skate well, and handle the puck. Like an Antti Laaksonen type.

He might get caught in a numbers game though. Tufte has probably had the best camp among that group, and they seem to like Olofsson at center. Plus Pavel looks to be healthy again.

Avs should try to sign him though and send him down. They can always use solid NHL options in depth roles, because they're going to have injuries. Last year they didn't have enough.
awesome thanks for the info. I hope he makes it and earns a full time spot.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Clurman
Holland
Miner
Olausson
Pavel

Were re-assigned. I was sorta hoping that Pavel might get one more game, but being injured all camp just did him in. We'll have to see if he gets a look later this year.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Clurman
Holland
Miner
Olausson
Pavel

Were re-assigned. I was sorta hoping that Pavel might get one more game, but being injured all camp just did him in. We'll have to see if he gets a look later this year.
Pavel being injured most of camp and also being waiver exempt made him a natural choice to send down. He'll get a shot at some point though for sure

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The 23-man roster below is $987.5k under the cap, with Cogliano on IR and Francouz on LTIR to start with.

If and when Francouz returns you'd need to waive someone else (eg. Hunt, MacDermid, or Tufte), but for now there's really no pressure to waive guys. Heck if they really wanted to they could even keep Meyers or Kiviranta up since with Cogliano on IR he wouldn't use a roster spot (though his caphit would still apply).

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Johansen - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - Tatar
Tufte - Olofsson - O'Connor
MacDermid

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - JJ
Hunt

Georgie
Annunen

IR: Cogliano
LTIR: Francouz, Landeskog

+ Sign Kiviranta and send him down along with Meyers who is waivers exempt.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad