Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Are we even going to be able to do a TDL move? Or will that pretty much be kovalenko?

Chances are slim they go after a big fish after signing Tatar. Maybe some lateral moves for similar salary. In fact if they hit another rash of injuries they could be in a dilemma.

They've got $525k left of their LTIR with a 22 man roster. Probably about $1.2M with a 21 man roster.

Last year they spent about $3.2M on injury callups. $3.8M if you count Nieto and JJ.

I believe Kovalenko should have a prorated deal based on his games played though, so he should only cost about $200-300k towards the cap.

2022-23 Injury Callups

NON-ROSTERCAP HITACCUM. HIT
Hunt, Brad$762,500$465,743
MacDonald, Jacob$762,500$412,162
Meyers, Ben$912,500$384,730
Englund, Andreas$750,000$368,919
Nieto, Matt$850,000$358,378
Johnson, Jack$950,000$236,216
Megna, Jayson$750,000$97,297
Sedlak, Lukas$800,000$34,595
Kinkaid, Keith$750,000$12,162
Kaut, Martin$863,333$350,000
Hunt, Dryden$762,500$247,297
Johansson, Jonas$750,000$222,973
Bowers, Shane$750,000$141,892
Blidh, Anton$750,000$117,568
Foudy, Jean-Luc$847,500$91,622
Galchenyuk, Alex$750,000$77,027
Hudon, Charles$750,000$68,919
Maltsev, Mikhail$800,000$60,541
Ranta, Sampo$925,000$50,000
Annunen, Justus$880,833$38,090
Burke, Callahan$750,000$12,162
Olausson, Oskar$894,167$4,833

Cap Friendly

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think people here are taking the word regression and making it a worse word than it is… Saying Mack will regress in the next couple years doesn’t mean he’s going to suck at 30. But realistically he’s likely to be a 90-95pt guy instead of 110pt guy. Still a great player, but there’s regression
there.

Ovi has been scoring 50 goals in his 30’s like it’s nothing, but he’s still very clearly regressed from where he was in his 20’s. Regression doesn’t mean you suck all the sudden, but I think some people are reading it that way.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think people here are taking the word regression and making it a worse word than it is… Saying Mack will regress in the next couple years doesn’t mean he’s going to suck at 30. But realistically he’s likely to be a 90-95pt guy instead of 110pt guy. Still a great player, but there’s regression
there.

Ovi has been scoring 50 goals in his 30’s like it’s nothing, but he’s still very clearly regressed from where he was in his 20’s. Regression doesn’t mean you suck all the sudden, but I think some people are reading it that way.

Yep. 9 years ago Ovechkin score 51 goals and led the league by 8 goals over 2nd place. Only 3 players scored 40 goals that year.

Last year, Ovechkin scored 50 goals and was 4th in the league for goals. A perfect example of clear regression despite the number barely actually changing. Scoring is simply so much higher now then it was 10 years ago. The part people really dont get today.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
there.

Yup... one thing that is a very interesting quirk, and Ovi is a prime example, is that the big time PP goal scorers actually don't ever really lose that ability. He is still getting mid to high teens in PPG despite PP time going down across the NHL. There are certain specialty skills that just don't ever go away. Then there are some that go in the the shitter very quickly.

(Also Ovi has something like 15 empty net goals over the past two seasons)

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Are we even going to be able to do a TDL move? Or will that pretty much be kovalenko?

Some of our signings will probably fail, so we can dump them at the deadline perhaps. There's good chance of that at least. Of course I hope everything goes perfectly and we don't need to do that..

The roster is closer to the Cup run team than last year's, that's for sure
I agree.

I haven’t been this excited about a roster since 2003. Hope that isn’t a bad omen.

True.. I have to say. Excited as well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I was on here, and I strongly suggested the Avs trade him.

c08dc948c05732434ed2a990d474019b.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Will just need to be a dollar in dollar out situation, but that really shouldn't stop them from being aggressive.

Keep in mind the deadline is an especially easy time to add salary because at that point ~75% of salaries are already paid and only 25% left so owners are much more willing to approve retention on rentals, double retention, etc.

For example, a guy like DeBrusk(Who IMO should be our top trade target if we go after a winger) will have about $3M of his $4M salary paid already. So for Boston to retain 50% means only retain $500k versus $2M if they retained 50% today. Then, getting a 2nd team to retain another 50% would only cost them $250k... Which in draft pick value is roughly a 4th or 5th round pick.

So basically, assuming Boston ends up sellers at the deadline. You could probably get DeBrusk for something like our 2024 1st + 2024 5th, and get him at $1M in cap hit. Meaning they just have to send down Olofsson essentially.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Will just need to be a dollar in dollar out situation, but that really shouldn't stop them from being aggressive.

Keep in mind the deadline is an especially easy time to add salary because at that point ~75% of salaries are already paid and only 25% left so owners are much more willing to approve retention on rentals, double retention, etc.

For example, a guy like DeBrusk(Who IMO should be our top trade target if we go after a winger) will have about $3M of his $4M salary paid already. So for Boston to retain 50% means only retain $500k versus $2M if they retained 50% today. Then, getting a 2nd team to retain another 50% would only cost them $250k... Which in draft pick value is roughly a 4th or 5th round pick.

So basically, assuming Boston ends up sellers at the deadline. You could probably get DeBrusk for something like our 2024 1st + 2024 5th, and get him at $1M in cap hit. Meaning they just have to send down Olofsson essentially.
You really think this management group is going to part with a 1st at the deadline? They've resisted that every single year except for when they were painted into a corner by not having a goalie in a contending year and were forced to trade for Kuemper.

Reactions: Frenchy

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

Nice writeup.

But according to Capfriendly with this current lineup we still have $2.287m in cap space. We could still add a solid 4C via trade right now if we really wanted to. 4C is the only real glaring weakness which is a good thing.

Drouin- Mackinnon- Rantanen
Lehkonen- Johansen- Tatar
Wood- Colton- Nichushkin
Cogliano- Meyers- O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Johnson

Georgiev
Francouz

Taxi squad
MacDermid
Olofsson

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Nice writeup.

But according to Capfriendly with this current lineup we still have $2.287m in cap space. We could still add a solid 4C via trade right now if we really wanted to. 4C is the only real glaring weakness which is a good thing.

Wood- Colton- Nichushkin

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Johnson

Georgiev
Francouz

Taxi squad
MacDermid
Olofsson
Nuke isn't a 3rd liner on any team in the NHL

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nice writeup.

Wood- Colton- Nichushkin

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Johnson

Georgiev
Francouz

Taxi squad
MacDermid
Olofsson

They aren't going to run an 18 man roster. They'll have 13F and 7D to start the year. So they really have about 525k in space today.

That is enough to add a 4C, but at this point I think they're just going to let Meyers and Pavel battle it out and give them a chance to run with it... Maybe someone they like shows up on the waiver wire.

4C is certainly important come playoff time but in terms of regular season success I don't think it matters too much. Let the kids see what they can do with it.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
You really think this management group is going to part with a 1st at the deadline? They've resisted that every single year except for when they were painted into a corner by not having a goalie in a contending year and were forced to trade for Kuemper.
That Kuemper trade wasn't at the deadline.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I can't wait for the season to start. As stated above, I haven't been this excited for a roster in awhile. Last year felt like a Championship team that just got gutted of key pieces. Cmac not utilizing the extra cap space was a real downer.

With all the turnover now, it creates a lot of excitement. So many story lines to look forward to. The return of Nuke, Johanson and Drouin revivals, the injection of talent to our bottom six finally. I have a feeling the core guys are going to see the roster changes and be amped up at the start of the season.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
No, but the point is the Avs do not move 1sts at the deadline - or ever. Only reason they did is they were backed into a corner.
It depends on how far back you go. They traded a 1st for Varlamov.

They also traded a 1st for the player that was once Adam Foote. I damn near lost my mind at the time.

But I hear you. Doesn't happen all that often.

P.S. The Varlamov trade made me think of something: In the decade between 2012 and 2022, the Avs traded for 5 goaltenders. The cumulative cost was two 1sts, three 2nds, two 3rds, one 5th, and Timmins. Would be nice if they could draft and develop a starter in goal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad