Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
IMG_5235.jpeg

The 2nd best dman of all time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think that's the thing for me. I remember discussing this about the Penguins cups with you and you completely ignored all the older players who played a role(Guerin, Gonchar, Kunitz, Cullen, Fedotenko, Daley etc) because they weren't "core players" but now when it comes to L.A vs Colorado the young players not playing core roles/not being paid like core players all of a sudden matter just as much?

I still remember the entire age thing starting with L.A awhile ago because someone said they were up and coming and it was someone who had been saying the Avs were old. The Dallas thing started because apparently the Avs have to worry about age regression but Dallas was penciled in as a top team with no concern. IMO Dallas/L.A have more upside with youth than Colorado does but more risk with top end players who are much older. Colorado is right in the middle with very little youth but no key pieces outside of Landy who are very old.

Doughty is the 1D at 34. Koptiar is 36, Danualt 30, Fiala 27, Kempe 27. I just don't think 25-28 makes sense as there core until Byfield/Kaliyev/Clarke become more important. Even PLD was drafted 1 year after Rants. L.A has some older key players, important pieces in the Avs range, and than they have some promising young players that can change the conversation.
I’m not saying they matter as much…

I think you’re lumping me into somethings and mischaracterizing in your head. Not saying intentionally, but to fit what you think. As a rule, cores matter more. Over 27 regressing, over 30 a risk. under 24 good chance to get better.

LA and Dallas have youth who can take over, potentially get better. Also have some old guys around. Avs are the old side as a whole without youth coming but less risk of a cliff. All of them have risk.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is your monthly reminder of the ages of the players on Tampa when they won their second Cup in a row.

McDonagh - 32
Killorn - 31
Stamkos - 31
Hedman - 30
Johnson - 30
Palat - 30
Coleman - 29
Gourde - 29
Kucherov - 28
Goodrow - 28

And everyone still on that team was a year older when they made the finals again the next year.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

I think you’re lumping me into somethings and mischaracterizing in your head. Not saying intentionally, but to fit what you think. As a rule, cores matter more. Over 27 regressing, over 30 a risk. under 24 good chance to get better.

LA and Dallas have youth who can take over, potentially get better. Also have some old guys around. Avs are the old side as a whole without youth coming but less risk of a cliff. All of them have risk.

Avs are old? Interesting take

Reactions: Alienblood

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011

I don't think that's the case. I just think it's just been a topic that's been beat to death for a long time with multiple posters discussing it. I could be confusing you with someone else for sure tho. The past year or two there's absolutely been chatter about Avs players including MacK/Rants potentially regressing, Dallas/L.A being referred to as up and coming teams or ignoring similar issues.

I agree L.A has more youth that could potentially change the conversation but until that happens it's just that. Potential. As it stands right now they have older players playing large roles .. older than the Avs. You than have Fiala/Kempe in the same range as the Avs. PLD was '16 draft right? Rants '15/Makar '17. Byfield, Clarke, Kaliyev, Spence etc. etc. vs basically Byram is the big difference. Kings will have a 1D/2C both 32+ so I don't get how there core can be 25-28 until you actually see the youth take those spots.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think that's the case. I just think it's just been a topic that's been beat to death for a long time with multiple posters discussing it. I could be confusing you with someone else for sure tho. The past year or two there's absolutely been chatter about Avs players including MacK/Rants potentially regressing, Dallas/L.A being referred to as up and coming teams or ignoring similar issues.

I agree L.A has more youth that could potentially change the conversation but until that happens it's just that. Potential. As it stands right now they have older players playing large roles .. older than the Avs. You than have Fiala/Kempe in the same range as the Avs. PLD was '16 draft right? Rants '15/Makar '17. Byfield, Clarke, Kaliyev, Spence etc. etc. vs basically Byram is the big difference. Kings will have a 1D/2C both 32+ so I don't get how there core can be 25-28 until you actually see the youth take those spots.
Avs will regress, just a matter of when. Father Time is undefeated.

You keep saying PLD is only one draft year after Rants… that’s correct, but kinda misses the point. PLD is a mid 98 and Rants is a late 96… they are closer to two years apart than one. PLD, Fiala, Anderson (their next captain), Kempe, Moore, and Roy are their core guys outside of Kopi/ Doughty. Arguably Moore isn’t but they love him like Lehky. Anderson is 24 so he’s a touch younger. I’d argue you missing the 25-28 core.

You have to know you're going to get the pitchforks every time you go down this road by now lmao.
People just can’t handle the truth.

• Haha

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

You keep saying PLD is only one draft year after Rants… that’s correct, but kinda misses the point. PLD is a mid 98 and Rants is a late 96… they are closer to two years apart than one. PLD, Fiala, Anderson (their next captain), Kempe, Moore, and Roy are their core guys outside of Kopi/ Doughty. Arguably Moore isn’t but they love him like Lehky. Anderson is 24 so he’s a touch younger. I’d argue you missing the 25-28 core.

I might have to go find that Jack Nicholson gif for you lol.

Reactions: henchman21

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
You have to know you're going to get the pitchforks every time you go down this road by now lmao.

Wouldn’t say pitchforks I just don’t see a positive thing come out of him. The tales keep getting more and more interesting. The avs core isn’t old and their play style isn’t one that will being to regress at the age of 27 lol

Reactions: Alienblood

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I see were at that stage again of the offseason.

Hopefully this is the last time I need to hear the same thing regurgitated for the 1000th time before the season starts.

If you think the regurgitation stops during the regular season I've got news for you.

Best you can hope for is the narrative du jour gets proven wrong during the season somehow and it stops during the off season before a way is found to start again the next season.

Did you notice the goalposts on the Avs window and regression due to age narratives has moved to teams frequently win outside their peak, and we got 6 years before a rebuild but.......?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Us olds have to stick together

I just am not sticking my head in the sand again (litterally) as the team moves out of their window and completely does desperate shit to stay in it. God those were some long years. I hope they cut the fat and retool at the right time.

I'm not going to enjoy waiting for Mack & Makar to retire to rebuild again. Anchor those two to the ship and send it draft pick diving again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just am not sticking my head in the sand again (litterally) as the team moves out of their window and completely does desperate shit to stay in it. God those were some long years. I hope they cut the fat and retool at the right time.

I'm not going to enjoy waiting for Mack & Makar to retire to rebuild again. Anchor those two to the ship and send it draft pick diving again.
I highly doubt that they’ll cut like that, but I don’t blame teams that hold on. Rebuilding is a guarantee and lighting in a bottle can be fun.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
F*** you mean? That 07-08 team with the Forsberg return was fun as f*** lol.

Yeah he's like.. The best player on the ice and then retires immediately saying he didn't feel like he was up to his own standards and didn't want to drag the team down.

I'm like... nooooooooooooo

Might be getting the returns wrong, but doesn't matter lol.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011

Agreed. It could be next season or 3 years from now. Same with L.A/Dallas. I've never predicted/said when it's going to happen and father time being undefeated is just a fact. My point has always been if your going to hold the Avs to that standard do the same for other teams. If the Avs 1D was 34 heading into this season you'd get alot of negativity. If the Avs were relying on a player like Kopitar at his age the sky would be falling. Keep in mind the conversation about the Kings started on here before the PLD trade when Kopitar was the 1C.

Yeah I guess I was just going off draft years and not hitting the exact month lol I'd argue Danualt is part of there core as well but even than it's pretty similar to the Avs. So just using the names you've selected from L.A + Danualt I'll pick 9 players from the Avs using current ages based on importance.

25 currently and under = PLD, Makar, Byram, Anderson.
26-29 = MacKinnon, Rants, Fiala, Moore, Kempe, Roy, Nuke, Colton
30+ =- Kopitar, Doughty, Danualt, Toews, RyJo.

If Clarke/Byfield hit than yeah it changes things but until than I'd argue with how much they'll rely on Doughty/Kopitar/Danult the Avs are actually better off in terms of age IMO until the Kings youth starts taking over. I think Clarke overtaking Doughty or atleast being a top pairing D would go a long way.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Agreed. It could be next season or 3 years from now. Same with L.A/Dallas. I've never predicted/said when it's going to happen and father time being undefeated is just a fact. My point has always been if your going to hold the Avs to that standard do the same for other teams. If the Avs 1D was 34 heading into this season you'd get alot of negativity. If the Avs were relying on a player like Kopitar at his age the sky would be falling. Keep in mind the conversation about the Kings started on here before the PLD trade when Kopitar was the 1C.

Yeah I guess I was just going off draft years and not hitting the exact month lol I'd argue Danualt is part of there core as well but even than it's pretty similar to the Avs. So just using the names you've selected from L.A + Danualt I'll pick 9 players from the Avs using current ages based on importance.

25 currently and under = PLD, Makar, Byram, Anderson.
26-29 = MacKinnon, Rants, Fiala, Moore, Kempe, Roy, Nuke, Colton
30+ =- Kopitar, Doughty, Danualt, Toews, RyJo.

If Clarke/Byfield hit than yeah it changes things but until than I'd argue with how much they'll rely on Doughty/Kopitar/Danult the Avs are actually better off in terms of age IMO until the Kings youth starts taking over. I think Clarke overtaking Doughty or atleast being a top pairing D would go a long way.
Oh I’d absolutely hate Kopitar as the 1C coming into the next season. But they made the PLD move, that’s the right move and I hope the Avs would work to find a center of that caliber when MacK is that old. Previous years for LA have had some leeway building back up. Both Byfield and Clarke need to step into core roles here. If they were here, they’d have been hyped like crazy and people would be scream how good they are. I don’t think Byfield will live up to his billing, but still time. Clarke is their Byram with a similar upside.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh I’d absolutely hate Kopitar as the 1C coming into the next season. But they made the PLD move, that’s the right move and I hope the Avs would work to find a center of that caliber when MacK is that old. Previous years for LA have had some leeway building back up. Both Byfield and Clarke need to step into core roles here. If they were here, they’d have been hyped like crazy and people would be scream how good they are. I don’t think Byfield will live up to his billing, but still time. Clarke is their Byram with a similar upside.

That's going to be a interesting team to follow. Unfortunately being out East, the Pacific teams are damn hard to watch. NJ and of course Tampa might have to be my early games this year.

I gotta get over seeing those Devils jerseys and thinking of the most iconic fkn trap shit team to watch ever lol.

I liked Pittsburgh a lot during our good years. Slick passing and skill.

Reactions: henchman21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad