Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Oh I’d absolutely hate Kopitar as the 1C coming into the next season. But they made the PLD move, that’s the right move and I hope the Avs would work to find a center of that caliber when MacK is that old. Previous years for LA have had some leeway building back up. Both Byfield and Clarke need to step into core roles here. If they were here, they’d have been hyped like crazy and people would be scream how good they are. I don’t think Byfield will live up to his billing, but still time. Clarke is their Byram with a similar upside.

I do think that's where they are much better off than us. They have potential replacements for at the very least the depth "core" with a few guys who have alot of potential like Clarke. It needs to happen first tho.

Reactions: henchman21

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wasn't on here when Sakic was getting old but I can only imagine what was being said about him even after being the oldest player since Howe to get 100 points.

Can we all just relax until October? We're almost there guys you can do it.

Are you kidding? Yes he was one of the oldest to put up 100 points. He was amazing until the very last day.

It's what happened after that, that brought the salt.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
MacK being a pure athletic gift guy I worry about more than Makar. My concern with Makar is injuries. If he can stay healthy, I think he’ll age very gracefully.

I've seen some people with his work ethic do crazy shit at older ages. Really depends on injuries for both I think.

It's why if Landy can come back I still think he'll be good. Those guys just have insane standards for themselves.

Did you see Landy chuckle when they asked him about how good he'd be after a return? If that surgery worked, he'll be back and still pretty good.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Two persons can be right and one more right than the other. Some people here just can't admit when other people are more right than they are it seems.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Two persons can be right and one more right than the other. Some people here just can't admit when other people are more right than they are it seems.

Hench is going off of trends, historical data. It's more about weighted possibilities than a diffinitive prediction, but it gets taken that way. Every single time.

We lived through the downfall of a great core already. We're watching Tampa slide, and it's unfortunate. That is an amazing team. They're not done, but they're not being predicted to win on the regular either.

Reactions: henchman21

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I wasn't on here when Sakic was getting old but I can only imagine what was being said about him even after being the oldest player since Howe to get 100 points.

There was no Sakic slander on here until he met the f***in snowblower. Like an actual snowblower not Kuznetsov.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Some here predicted that age regression would start kicking in for Nate and Mikko last season yet both of them had the best seasons of their careers at the old ages of 26 and 27.

Obviously if you predict regression every year you will eventually be right, and those people will be the first to tell you that they were correct. However what they will fail to tell you is the amount of times they were wrong leading up to that point.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Some here predicted that age regression would start kicking in for Nate and Mikko last season yet both of them had the best seasons of their careers at the old ages of 26 and 27.

Obviously if you predict regression every year you will eventually be right, and those people will be the first to tell you that they were correct. However what they will fail to tell you is the amount of times they were wrong leading up to that point.

I mean it started after the Vegas loss. Atleast that's how I remember it.

My stance has always been it's pretty unpredictable even if the averages exist, a teams window can be subjective depending on how you view a contender, hold teams to the same standard with ages/contracts. Not really about being "right" because like you said .. the regression side will 100% be right eventually.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's like the hockey world was telling us "oh, Sakic doesn't feel like aging? Fine, we'll age him for you assholes."

Opening night after he retired was fire.. I was there, but what happened after. I'd rather not live through again lol.

I'm trying to remember, did Duchene actually play with Sakic as a rookie? Or I think it was just missed. Those years I barely remember driving to work some days.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

On that note, here's some other players that had success around 30 and 30+.

The NHL average skews the data on age regression, because the best players in the world like Nate and Mikko aren't average. You can't compare them to the average, you have to compare them to other best in the world players.

The best players can still play at a high level into their 30's, up until around 34, but even some still play well after.

37 years Old

Pavelski - 77 points

36 Years Old

Ovechkin - 90 points
Malkin - 83 points
Thornton - 82 points
Pavelski - 81 points
Datsyuk - 65 points (In 63 games)

35 Years Old

Crosby - 93 points
Giroux - 79 points
Kopitar - 74 points

34 Years Old

Crosby - 84 points (In 69 Games)
Thornton - 76 points
D. Sedin - 76 points

33 Years Old

Kane - 92 points
Ovechkin - 89 points
Stamkos - 84 points
Marchand - 80 points
Bergeron - 79 points (In 65 games)
Benn - 78 points
Malkin - 74 points (In 55 games)
Backstrom - 53 points (In 55 games)

32 Years Old

Stamkos - 106 points
Wheeler - 91 points
Ovechkin - 87 points
Tavares - 82 points
Thornton - 77 points
Marchand - 69 points (In 53 games)
Kane - 66 points (In 56 games)

31 Years Old

Crosby - 100 points
Malkin - 98 points
Panarin - 92 points
Wheeler - 91 points
Marchand - 87 points (In 70 games)
Kane - 84 points (In 70 games)
Kessel - 82 points
H. Sedin - 81 points

30 Years Old

Kane - 110 points
D. Sedin - 104 points
Marchand - 100 points
Malkin - 98 points
Datsyuk - 97 points
Panarin - 96 points
H.Sedin - 94 points
Kopitar - 92 points
Kessel - 92 points
Crosby - 89 points
Thornton - 89 points
Giroux - 85 points
Miller - 82 points

29 Years Old

Kucherov - 113 points
H. Sedin - 112 points
Giroux - 102 points
Miller - 99 points
Datsyuk - 97 points
Backstrom - 86 points
Thornton - 86 points
D. Sedin - 85 points (In 63 games)
Marchand - 85 points (In 68 games)
Malkin - 72 points (In 62 games)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

People talking about this state it is a range and there are always outliers. You can’t pin it down perfectly, but it will likely happen in a certain time frame. Nobody is stating absolutes. It’s more like ‘4 years from now they won’t be as good as today.’ ‘Regression risk at this age exists.’ Which is just a normal thing that is fair well proven at this point. Yet people want to twist the statements into and absolute they will absolutely regress in December sort of thing. That’s never it. But it is the internet. That’s what the internet does best.

It’s weird though, Gretzky had his best season at 25. Yet it is a crazy thought to think regression happens in the late 20s. All the data out there points to when regression typically happens. Not always, but normally, mostly even. Then you see the ages teams typically win Cups at… they coincide pretty closely. People always want to say well, that won’t happen here. Which could absolutely be correct. It is against the odds though.

I stated years ago, 30 is the realistic age cutoff. Once most of the core gets there it is certainly done. Prior to that it is cap and depth factors. If you don’t draft and develop, you don’t have internal depth when contracts come due. When they are due, it depends on how the Avs can keep/replace key positions. We are seeing it play out in real time and we don’t know how it will go. We’re year 2 into a 4 year cap crunch moving into the older side of the core into their 30s. That’s why we see the risk/reward of this summer (which I have mostly applauded and been positive with). You need the excess value and the way to get it is risk on guys like Colton, RyJo, and Drouin. It remains to be seen if it will work. We all hope it does. If RyJo plays like he’s 25, it certainly could.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Opening night after he retired was fire.. I was there, but what happened after. I'd rather not live through again lol.

I'm trying to remember, did Duchene actually play with Sakic as a rookie? Or I think it was just missed. Those years I barely remember driving to work some days.

No that was Stastny, who, if he doesn't retire, is the last active player to have played with Sakic. My God we're old.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No that was Stastny, who, if he doesn't retire, is the last active player to have played with Sakic. My God we're old.

Oh shit, yeah... Call me sentimental but I'd have liked Staz back in a depth role lol.

I think he signed somewhere, thought I seen it on NHLN, but it was the tail end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad