Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't feel that way personally as the alternative to this escrow and payback period would have been to go the NFL route and have a pull back on the cap. That would have been WAY worse for the NHL. 20-21 would have been roughly a 75m cap and 21-22 in the realm of 55-60m. With a large jump back to 83m last year and this year being close to 87m. Yeah that'd be better today... but those first two years would have lead to an exodus from the Avs far worse than the 04-05 lockout.

One of the reasons we have ownership crying poor like in Winnipeg is essentially the owners footed the bill from the first covid shutdown until the Avs won the Cup. IIRC in 20-21, the owners actually paid more in raw salaries than they brought in for the whole season in HRR.
Yet players still whine about escrow when it's by far the best solution for them in a 50-50 context.

BoneCherry

Nov 19, 2021
Dallas
The amateur scout definitely get some black marks from this.... but CMac/Sakic shouldn't escape it either. The decisions to re-sign Manson and Frank and continuing to bring back/keep up JMFJ/Dermy has eroded what little cap space the Avs have had. It is too early to judge for sure, but the early results on Colton, Wood, and RyJo also point right to 10m of cap that is inefficient. This always tends to happen with teams, but with narrow margins in the NHL, it is hard to say elite when you have all these things happening, even with elite players.

What is kinda scary is if Landy returns next year, this situation is likely to get even worse with depth and inefficiencies. But that's a future problem.

Would you say the owners could be blamed? The AHL talent is always sufficient enough to help them in the standings, but not quite good enough to play in the NHL. The NHL side lacks. I'm wondering if ownership put something into the profitability angle from concessions vs. the cap. Or would I be off-base i that? I'm not sure how things work out within this organization.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I really like Zadorov as a personality. And he's a great bottom pairing D-man. But he thinks way too highly of himself, how on Earth did he get almost 4mil lol?

Seems like a match made in heaven with the Leafs.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
His agents claims that he doesn't play enough...and Z is on a contract year.

1 + 1

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wonder what he's looking for? He currently plays just over 18 minutes per night, which is 5th on the Flames D-corps. Perhaps more playing time? Or maybe he's sick of the Flames losing ways?

He's been one of the more outspoken Flames.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wonder what he's looking for? He currently plays just over 18 minutes per night, which is 5th on the Flames D-corps. Perhaps more playing time? Or maybe he's sick of the Flames losing ways?

He's been one of the more outspoken Flames.
More playing time for a bigger contract next year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I was at that Leafs game tonight. Zadorov was legit so good lol.

I love Z. Always have. Hope he ends up somewhere good but man, I dunno about Toronto. Yes they need defense. But they don’t need anyone who has massive blunders. A couple bad turnovers and things can get reallll bad. Or… Z has a great 6 months and becomes a very rich man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad