Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
I was told our summer acquisitions were much better

Lol I don’t think that can be proven by either side after this small of a sample. Duchene did nothing the first five games and the only thing that matters is playoff results.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Count me in the group that don't want Kane as well. What the Avs need to do is this:

Tufte - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - RJ - Mikko
Wood - Rosco - LOC
Cogs - Oloffsson - Tatar (for now)

and wait for Kovalenko to arrive. Hopefully Landy can play in the playoffs as well. But at the very least we then have:

Tufte - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - RJ - Mikko
Wood - Rosco - Kovy
Cogs - Oloffsson - LOC
You're just asking for trouble with Riley Tufte on the top line lol. That's not good.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wonder if Tatar is tradable. If Francouz isn't coming back and Tatar is tradable, that leaves 3.5M to sign Kane or get someone else.
Guy sat around all summer and ended up signing a cheap deal... nobody is moving any real assets to get him. Maybe if you waive him, but not even sure then with the performance he's had. Teams will simply look at him and think he'd probably do even worse on their teams. Gotta play out of his funk.

The Avs are going to have to play around with the fringes of the lineup and maybe call up/waive players... but as a whole, they kinda just have to figure it out with who they got until January. Given the schedule, that should be fine... but will be frustrating at times.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
They'll most likely wait until the deadline when Tufte will have replaced Drouin, Tatar will get buried and replaced by Kovalenko, and they'll probably snag a forward or two for cheap with money retained. They'll make it work.

If Drouin or Tatar are dressed in the playoffs, something has gone horribly wrong and we are getting bounced early.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Ain't no way Tatar AND Drouin both get buried for the whole season. One of those guys has to be able to provide some value in offensive production sooner or later. Otherwise it's a ridiculous misfire by the pro scouting and coaching staff.

You can't get blood out of a stone man.

I'm not surprised Drouin is doing nothing. He hasn't done anything for 4 years and guys expected him to come in and be a first line LW. I gave him 10 games before he was demoted and called him this years Alex Galchenyuk. He will be in the press box permanently soon.

I am a little surprised with Tatar though. I know he's a lazy player and not physical but I thought he could at least bury the puck and would be good for 15-20 goals.

But if you don't hustle and backcheck and be a menace on the forecheck you don't play for Bednar. Plain and simple. These guys are in the doghouse and I don't think they will ever come out.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I am a little surprised with Tatar though. I know he's a lazy player and not physical but I thought he could at least bury the puck and would be good for 15-20 goals.
He's turning 33 in a couple of weeks. It's possible that his NHL career is over.

I don't think it's a misfiring. They were clearly budget options.
Yea...most times when you gamble you lose.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We all know Drouin wasn't really a pro scouting thing... it was MacK. MacK sold his BFF on a chance and sold the Avs on Drouin. I wouldn't pin him on the pro scouting staff. Tatar on the other hand fits a lot of what the Avs have done over the last few years. His success/failure will be on the pro staff.

Wood/Colton fit the desire stated by both Bednar and CMac to get bigger/more physical. So they went and got guys that fit that mold. They also are projecting them in different roles than they played in the past. Their success/failure will be on the pro staff.

RyJo was simply a risky chance. He's played well in the past, but you got him for free at a half rate on the bet there was something left in the tank.

I have a bit of a worry that the Avs desire to get bigger and more physical is taking away from the core's identity and the Avs are pulling together a hodgepodge of players that don't really mix.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I have a bit of a worry that the Avs desire to get bigger and more physical is taking away from the core's identity and the Avs are pulling together a hodgepodge of players that don't really mix.
I think the more physical guys fit well. It's the softies that don't.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We all know Drouin wasn't really a pro scouting thing... it was MacK. MacK sold his BFF on a chance and sold the Avs on Drouin. I wouldn't pin him on the pro scouting staff. Tatar on the other hand fits a lot of what the Avs have done over the last few years. His success/failure will be on the pro staff.

Wood/Colton fit the desire stated by both Bednar and CMac to get bigger/more physical. So they went and got guys that fit that mold. They also are projecting them in different roles than they played in the past. Their success/failure will be on the pro staff.

RyJo was simply a risky chance. He's played well in the past, but you got him for free at a half rate on the bet there was something left in the tank.

If nothing else, I think the addition of Johansen makes them a much slower team overall. Drouin and Tatar aren’t exactly speedsters either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think the more physical guys fit well. It's the softies that don't.
IDK... I think the jury is still out. Colton has been trash way more often than not, and the same with Wood. They may skate fast in a straight line and hit, but that's all they can really do (when apparently not playing New Jersey). They don't maintain the puck, they don't win battles all that often... they simply move the puck, dump it, couple hits, then go off for a change. That's not what the Avs were built on. They were built on maintaining the puck and keeping pressure. Not grind teams.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think you have to leave Tatar on the top line. He's a smart player, and for some reason he doesn't look TOO bad there compared to every other line. He seems to forecheck harder when with 29, too.

Just live with the warts. If you can get production out of him, it might allow you to play Lehkonen with Colton and Wood.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't think it's a misfiring. They were clearly budget options.
It's not an outrageous error by any means. Budget options are budget options, but you whiff on a budget, too. If both are done after ten games and you can't deploy either in a useful way, someone's f***ing up besides the lazy players.

And yes, the MacK thing is true.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think you have to leave Tatar on the top line. He's a smart player, and for some reason he doesn't look TOO bad there compared to every other line. He seems to forecheck harder when with 29, too.

Just live with the warts. If you can get production out of him, it might allow you to play Lehkonen with Colton and Wood.
Agreed. He's skilled enough to help there and also hidden. It also hopefully keeps AHL lifers out of the top 6.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
You're just asking for trouble with Riley Tufte on the top line lol. That's not good.
I don't disagree but I just like him better than Drouin and Tatar. This is just until the TDL and/or Kovalenko arrived. Kovy is also a question mark obviously but he is a Lehky-type player and if he translate well to the NHL he will also be a better fit than Drouin and Tatar for the playoffs. The Avs could also upgrade on those guys at the TDL. Due to cap the Avs don't have a lot of choices this season unfortunately.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
It's not an outrageous error by any means. Budget options are budget options, but you whiff on a budget, too. If both are done after ten games and you can't deploy either in a useful way, someone's f***ing up besides the lazy players.

And yes, the MacK thing is true.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I'll give them a bit of leeway when the instructions provided to them are "so you've got 1 dollar to fix a 10 dollar issue, good luck!".

I think it further highlights how badly the amateur scouts have done over the years where there is virtually no one that can come up and be cheap depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad