Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I've ripped on them (I think rightfully so after their most recent road stretch) but yeah, to put things into perspective after 10 games the Avs are:

3rd in the NHL in Corsi
3rd in Scoring Chance %
3rd in High Danger %
28th in Shooting %
26th in Save %
30th in PDO

To me, this signifies that either the Avs are going to be unlucky for the entire regular season (unlikely) or the shooting/goaltending will improve and a lot more of those scoring chances and high danger chances will start going in.

Obviously I think that number for goaltending gets skewed after the Vegas loss, because Georgiev was great the first 6 games of the season before the most recent stretch of road games.

The Avs have 4(!) high danger goals at even strength this season. That's just 1 more than the last place San Jose Sharks

Compare this to a team like the Vancouver Canucks, who have generated 20 less high danger chances yet have scored 14 more goals from high danger areas than the Avs have.

Oh btw, for those amazed by the Golden Knights' hot start consider this:

They are currently a 45% Corsi team and have been outchanced, both overall and high danger, through their first 13 games of the season. They have actually given up the 2nd most high danger chances in the league with only San Jose ahead of them. So unless Adin Hill is somehow the new Patrick Roy/Dominik Hasek I think some serious regression is on the way for Vegas.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Yeah, this reinforces the underlying analytics.

Vancouver punching WAY above their weight class right now, and Vegas should be giving up a lot more goals than they have.

The Red Wings and Ducks are in for some big time regression IMO.

On the flip side, the Oilers are bound to recover. That's just not sustainable from a "bad hockey" perspective. Ditto the Avs and Hurricanes who will start to climb up the ladder.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
We really can’t compare the Avs to Vegas because they are built differently. Avs are more superstar focused, where Vegas just has a roster full of solid players who bought into their system from top to bottom. They’re tough to play against because they rarely make mistakes and they don’t give you much. Gotta earn it against that team.

Avs are built more like, hey MacK, Mikko and Cale, go win us the game. We still won the cup without using bogus LTIR though, so f*** Vegas. We had more impressive cup run and a very deep team. Not sure how we get to that again, but I hope we do it at least one more time.

I get the not resigning Manson argument, but with EJ also pretty much being done, or nowhere near a top 4 D, the Avs would still need to find a top 4 right handed D. We’ve seen how G and Bo on a pair just doesn’t work

Also JTC was becoming a UFA, how much would they get for him if they traded him? And he definitely isn’t worth the 5 mill he got
In a world where Ryjo at 4m is on the roster JTC at 5m is a bargain. JTC was the heart and soul of this team. MacK basically said so in the interview.

Girard and Byram are looking ok. And their fancy stats are very good.

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Kadri and Burakovsky have really been missed.

Those were guys with natural finishing ability, something this roster has in short supply.
100%

Kadri has a lot of faults, but he's been a 1 man 2nd line sort of guy for most of his career. He can drive the play and finish on his own. Burkie's shot is also very much missed here. The Avs have loaded up with hard working guys, but nobody with a plus shot on the wings. Really the only wing that has a shot you feel comfortable beating a goalie who can see it is Rants. Lehky, Nuke, Drouin, Tatar, Wood, and LOC are not guys goalies have to fear their shots. They may get some greasy goals or score on a breakaway... but they are not ripping a snap shot past a goalie from above the faceoff circles.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think Kadri and Burakovsky have really been missed.

Those were guys with natural finishing ability, something this roster has in short supply.

cMac shot this team's window in the foot when he let Kadri walk and never properly replaced him.

Saying Kadri is missed is the understatement of the decade.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Mittelstadt starting the season well... Hayton not so much..
Fatty honestly looks amazing. Not only producing offensively, but he's been great defensively and playing with some sandpaper. He might be pushing Cozens out of the 2C role. If you dig deeper into his stats and underlying... you get some really nutty results (in a good way for Buffalo/Fatty).

Reactions: CobraAcesS

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Fatty honestly looks amazing. Not only producing offensively, but he's been great defensively and playing with some sandpaper. He might be pushing Cozens out of the 2C role. If you dig deeper into his stats and underlying... you get some really nutty results (in a good way for Buffalo/Fatty)
They could totally use a big bodied RHD next season to replace EJ. Manson+

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
100%

Kadri has a lot of faults, but he's been a 1 man 2nd line sort of guy for most of his career. He can drive the play and finish on his own. Burkie's shot is also very much missed here. The Avs have loaded up with hard working guys, but nobody with a plus shot on the wings. Really the only wing that has a shot you feel comfortable beating a goalie who can see it is Rants. Lehky, Nuke, Drouin, Tatar, Wood, and LOC are not guys goalies have to fear their shots. They may get some greasy goals or score on a breakaway... but they are not ripping a snap shot past a goalie from above the faceoff circles.
If only guys like Tolvanen and Vrana were available for free...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Fatty honestly looks amazing. Not only producing offensively, but he's been great defensively and playing with some sandpaper. He might be pushing Cozens out of the 2C role. If you dig deeper into his stats and underlying... you get some really nutty results (in a good way for Buffalo/Fatty).
I doubt he steals Cozens spot but If he does and Cozens is available that’s one player I’d trade Byram for.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I doubt he steals Cozen’s spot but If he does and Cozen is available that’s one player I’d trade Byram for.

It is likely only temporary, but he's currently playing above Cozens and has for a few games now. Buffalo isn't trading Cozens, their worst case is moving him to wing next to Fatty. And they wouldn't want Byram... they'd want a top end RD since ideally they'd have Dahlin and Power on the left.

Reactions: missionAvs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad